• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD 8300 W/ cooler master neptune 240m

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You have a 70c cpu thermal limit. 90c thermtrip at the core. It'll be fine at 3.6ghz and under 60c no problem.

The owner is worried about longevity. During a normal game of Rainbow6Seige, temps got up to 58c. thats with 3.5 at 1.275vcore. I still dont like that high of a temp so i think i will try to get to 3.4 and leave it at that. What do you guys think?

- - - Updated - - -

You have a 70c cpu thermal limit. 90c thermtrip at the core. It'll be fine at 3.6ghz and under 60c no problem.

The owner is worried about longevity so with that in mind, I will try to get it lower than 60. Playing two games of Rainbow Six Siege got the temps up to 58. As of right now, the cpu is at 3.5ghz @ 1.275v. Do you think i can get the vcore lower or should i just try to downclock it to 3.4. at 3.5 what would be the voltage required? also at 3.4? I know all cpus are different but it gives me a reference point.

I can't see the reply?! I got the e-mail. It lists that you replied..... but nothing! I'm loosing it...... lol

Yeah idk. It was weird when I posted it. I couldn't even see my post until now. Maybe it needs time to load? Should I post it again?

Yea post it again please....

NVM I can see it now!

- - - Updated - - -

The owner is worried about longevity. During a normal game of Rainbow6Seige, temps got up to 58c. thats with 3.5 at 1.275vcore. I still dont like that high of a temp so i think i will try to get to 3.4 and leave it at that. What do you guys think?

- - - Updated - - -

The owner is worried about longevity so with that in mind, I will try to get it lower than 60. Playing two games of Rainbow Six Siege got the temps up to 58. As of right now, the cpu is at 3.5ghz @ 1.275v. Do you think i can get the vcore lower or should i just try to downclock it to 3.4. at 3.5 what would be the voltage required? also at 3.4? I know all cpus are different but it gives me a reference point.

Meh. He'll upgrade long before it dies.

AMD recommends 70c and under. So that's the number I go by. But I also know that Thermtrip on most all FX processors is 90c at the core.

Please remember to tell him to actively cool the VRM package area..... This will also help lower CPU temps>

Yea post it again please....

NVM I can see it now!

- - - Updated - - -

Meh. He'll upgrade long before it dies.

AMD recommends 70c and under. So that's the number I go by. But I also know that Thermtrip on most all FX processors is 90c at the core.

Please remember to tell him to actively cool the VRM package area..... This will also help lower CPU temps>
Okay. I am still going to try to get a lower temp. But I am going up to his house to help him. I will be putting different ram in, I'll put a fan pointed at the vrms and maybe move radiator to intake instead of exhaust. Maybe throw one or two fans in the case as well to help with case flow. Would you recommend changing the thermal paste? Or leave the stuff that's in there.

At around 11:00 PM Pacific time every day I have noticed that when I go to post on OC Forums there are apparent problems and I get a message asking me if I want to leave the page or stay on it. It usually redirects me to the "Go Adavnced" post mode. Sometimes I get a message about a data base error. I have concluded that must be a scheduled maintenance time for the forum. However, when I check the thread the next morning the post I tried to make is always there and sometime multiple times because I got impatient and clicked on "Submit" multiple times.

Fair enough. It was really weird it said posted but didn't appear. So i typed it again and tried again but same thing. So i gave up.

Okay. I am still going to try to get a lower temp. But I am going up to his house to help him. I will be putting different ram in, I'll put a fan pointed at the vrms and maybe move radiator to intake instead of exhaust. Maybe throw one or two fans in the case as well to help with case flow. Would you recommend changing the thermal paste? Or leave the stuff that's in there.

I don't know what thermal paste he is currently using or how long it's been applied, But new paste and a re-seat could never hurt you know. I was thinking temps where just a tad high at only 1.3v, so in my honest experience, yes, replace the TIM. MX-4 is pretty good stuff. I use Nano Diamond pastes.

If you have the extra fans, apply them to the radiator for a push and pull set up. That will help with case flow and dissipate more heat from the radiator as well.

It was the stock stuff that came with the cooler. And i dont think it has been to long at all. Do they all have to be the same cfm for push pull?

No they don't have to be. Put the higher CFM fans on the push side of the rad.

Yea, replace the TIM. You guys should be able to net at least 4ghz from this CPU. It's THE coolest running FX chip available and is very low leakage.

My FX-8300 did some 7685mhz on M5A78L-M LX PLUS at over 2v with software OV tricks. :eek:

Wow okay. Ill let him know that we might want to think about changing the TIM. And ill definately do that. I kinda dont want to competely rebuild his computer or risk shorting out parts. So i might just do the fans and thats it. I think ill leave him some TIM and if he wants to change it out in the future than thats on him

I suggest that if You have experience, everything will be fine. Proper mounting is important and I (we) aren't really sure unless you at least check it.

Your Goal OC should be at least that of the turbo frequency which I list for you on page one. Most people I see with liquid cooling setups ambient temps are looking upwards between 4.4 and 4.6ghz...... So yea, he needs help.

I suggest that if You have experience, everything will be fine. Proper mounting is important and I (we) aren't really sure unless you at least check it.

Your Goal OC should be at least that of the turbo frequency which I list for you on page one. Most people I see with liquid cooling setups ambient temps are looking upwards between 4.4 and 4.6ghz...... So yea, he needs help.
Yup. I totally agree. I do have experience but in the end it's his computer. I told him about it and he doesn't want to do it. But I can check to make sure it's snug and everything. The only thing I can do is wait until I go over to help him. Should be around Sunday. I'll keep you guys updated with the results.

So one last thing. The only place he has to work on it is on a metal table. Now I know that is not good. Would covering the table in card board suffice in making the area workable?

A sheet of wood, card board yea, that would be fine. If you worry, be sure and ground yourselves to help prevent static.

If the rad needs cleaning, might as well pull it all apart and configure it nicely dude. It's like being cheap with the hardware and then skimping out with proper cooling and wonder why these components won't go faster. It is possible on cheap hardware, but cooling becomes more important just for the simple fact VRMs will run a little hotter because there's only 4 of them for the CPU. The more VRMs, the more stable and consistent the current is. The hotter a VRM runs, the less stable the current becomes. That VRM heat is then transferred to the CPU right through the copper tracings of the motherboard and visa versa. So cooling both of these items to the best of our ability is not only increase overclock but also the longevity. 2 things that kill is heat and voltage. However with your processor it is Not voltage limitation in any way. It's a cooling limitation.

There are people on this board that go as far as cutting a hole in the case and actively cooling the back side of the motherboard where the Cpu socket is located lol.

What ever you do to help and he accepts, the higher and better performance he'll get along with the longevity. I ran my board for 2 and a half years, multiple processors and at least 6 of them on extreme cooling. Just because it's a cheaper board, doesn't mean it can't take a small overclock of merely 4.2ghz and run daily......

Good Luck!

Sorry to poke a hole in this but longevity meaning 1y-2y then burn or the next 5y+ (for the CPU i mean) ? most techheads here say 62c max but keep it below 55c optimally, but 70c is still ok in the long run ?

Sorry to poke a hole in this but longevity meaning 1y-2y then burn or the next 5y+ (for the CPU i mean) ? most techheads here say 62c max but keep it below 55c optimally, but 70c is still ok in the long run ?

Good question. At lower clocks over 60c probably won't kill it (CPU) in a year or two. The strive is always to have lower temps to ultimately run higher clocks.

During a lot of testing, while air cooling a stock FX system, most Asus boards will throttle at 65c.....

My wifes processor was built in 09'. I bought it used in 2015. It runs overclocked daily on air cooling. So far it's 8 years running..... 2 years solid daily at my house so far, soon to be replaced... but never the less longevity is such a conversation where most of the time a system is replaced long before a processor ends it's life cycle overclocked or not.

It has seemed rather difficult through the years to kill a processor even with an overclock. However anything can happen at any time. No one can see the future.....

Back