• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

amd-8350

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bloodninjafox

I'm having trouble overclocking my cpu. I'm running at 5.050mghz at 1.5v and maximum of 40c on the cpu under full load. I'm trying to push it further and see what the limit is but I'm not sure where to go from here as I don't want to supply too much current to the cpu and possibly fry it. I have it stable at 5.050mghz so it is running really nice. I have a lot of room with thermals as I am running a h110i gtx 280mm and its keeping it cool. my vcore 1 runs highest at 80c. I'm running it on a sabertooth 990fx r2.0 tuf edition. mosfets and caps are supposedly capable of hitting 95c without problem. just wondering what I should be tweaking next to find theoretical maximum of my cpu. ram is corsair vengeance pro 2133 at 10-10-10-33 at 2260mghz. ran prime 95 so I know it is stable at this clock. :bang head

Last edited:
Yes plz.

I see some discrepancies here. you say max 40c at full load but then say core 1 hits 80c! WAY TO HIGH.

Here are my recommendations.

Max vCore should be 1.50v with good cooling. (Your H100i is good)
Max Socket temp of 71c
Max Package temp(or individual core) of 65c

These are all under full load.

Please post pic of CPU-z CPU, Memory and SPD tabs, HWMonitor showing voltages and temp. All while running p95 for apx 15-20 in blend mode. Your screen shot should look like this one. It'll make it easier for us to see how your rig is handling the OC.

screen shot OCF.jpg

the vcore is measuring my vrm1 which is to the left of my cpu and vcore2 is the vrm underneath my cpu so its reading the temperatures of my mosfets and capacitors that supply voltage to the cpu. (correct me if I'm wrong in my understanding) anyways ill re-run the prime 95 on blend and post screenshots.
I should be home and posting around 7:00pm est.

Last edited:
ok so... it wasnt stable apparently. i let it run for half an hour and then it crashes so i ran it again at 4.7ghz. where should i go from here at this point? overclock.png

well, your temps are basically maxxed out, so you dont really go much further from there. not without better cooling at least.

ok so... it wasnt stable apparently. i let it run for half an hour and then it crashes so i ran it again at 4.7ghz. where should i go from here at this point?View attachment 168909

Lower that vcore to something that your current cooling solution can handle, and start your OC from scratch. Your high ambient temp in FLA isn't helping you either.

Agreed. These 8 and 6 Core FX CPU's run hot. It's just a known fact of life.

With that said I would start by reducing your vCore one bump at a time and continue stress testing. Your at the max suggested temps 71c CPU(socket) and 65c(package) now but reducing voltages could give you more room, or de-stabilize. Notice also that you're reaching as high as 1.572v under load. This can be one of a few things. Verify that you have the LLC set to High in your Bios. That may help reduce the vCore fluctuation.

ok so i have more room to work with now. now what do you think i should check. line level calibration is at max. should up the bus or up the multiplier what do you think would be better at this point im trying to get a stable 5ghz. so far cooling is a lot more efficient. pic for proof overclock.png

Personally I like to go multi first to find the CPU limit. If you go FSB first you may become unstable due to ram or NB. So I would suggest leaving ram and NB/HT at stock until you find max stable CPU freq then back your multi down and work on ram followed lastly by NB.

Once you find the limits of each piece of the puzzle it's just a matter of finding the best combination. Prioritizing CPU first followed by Ram and NB.

One thing I can't seem to figure out. In my bios I have CPU voltage which is self explanatory. But I also have CPU/nb voltage and if I up the CPU/nb voltage does it increase my CPU voltage over what I have set? So theoretically if I have 1.5volts to the CPU and my CPU/nb is at 1.2 stock and if I increase it. will it also increase my CPU voltage above 1.5? Sorry for the long question just trying to figure this out.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW not a noob lol just trying to get the hang of this I'm used to working in old Phoenix bios's. Old p4 CPU days lol

CPU/NB is for the NB voltage. The (main)NB is actually on the CPU now. When you OC your NB it will eventually need more voltage. That's what that one is for. Keep in mind since it's physically located on the CPU raising this will also raise you CPU temp. You should keep that stock until you start playing with the NB OC.

EDIT: I could tell you weren't a noob :) no worries

im trying to get a stable 5ghz.
Based on the pic you posted, I don't see this happening. Still too much vdroop, still to warm, vcore IMO is already boarderline and you're approaching the 'wall' where as you'll need another fairly big bump.

Back