• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Amd 965 Be Overclock questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xCaDillaCx937x

Registered
First off Hi! This my first post on here . i am currently overclocking my 965 BE and having some vcore increasing when set manually. ive seen you should disable llc? ok my options are regular,medium,high,etc. i chose regular because thats what ppl recommended. set to regular it would decrease the vcore that i had set manually. causing blue screens in p95. so i put it back to auto. and at 3.8 it seems as if i have high temps 59c in p95 1hr. vcore set to 1.38 . room temp 72F. any help would be appreciated.
:salute:
here are my specs:

CPU: AMD 965 BE
MOBO: ASUS Crosshair V FZ
RAM: GSKILL RIPJAWS SX 8G 1600mhz
GPU: Gigabyte 7870 ghz edtion
PSU: 650 w XFX BE
SSD: Kingston Hyper X 3K
HDD: WDBE 1TB
Cpu Cooler: Antec 620
CASE: Alienware Predator 2.0b

Last edited:
The Cpu LLc from what I understand is a regulator of the Cpu voltage. It helps the Cpu receive the correct amount of power that the user has set for the Cpu. When processors are under load the voltage sometimes drops off a bit, known as Voltage droop. The Cpu LLc will help keep this from happening. With it on auto it is overshooting the Cpu voltage that you have set. I have found that depending on the overclock speed I'm trying to reach, Medium and high settings are best, when I'm not pushing my cpu hard. I suggest you download Cpu-Z and Hwmonitor "Non Pro", open Hwmonitor and run Prime for 20 minutes. Then post back here pics of Hwmonitor and the following tabs in Cpu-Z, Cpu, Spd and memory. Also have you turned off all the power saving features on the Motherboard? You should also click the blue box with the exclamation point next to where it says post #1 in the thread and ask a moderator to move this to the Amd Cpu section, you'll get more help there. here is how to post pics.

Attachments

• insert image.PNG
    insert image.PNG
    68.9 KB · Views: 94
i asked for the thread to be moved . thanks . i have been running prime for over 2hrs now . as far as the all power save options im not sure. ill get some pics.

ok heres the pics. after prime95 for 2hrs.

Attachments

• cpuz1.png
    cpuz1.png
    53.1 KB · Views: 93
  • cpuz2.jpg
    cpuz2.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 94
  • cpuz.jpg
    cpuz.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
might want to upgrade cpu cooler, running pretty hot at only 1.4 volts

Yeah, it's hot for that low of voltage alright but that cooler he's using should handle that CPU at that voltage very easily as long as the ambient temp isn't excessively high and as long as the case has good ventilation and as long as the cooler is mounted and pasted correctly. One or more of those conditions isn't being met. And the 36c minimum core temp seems a little high to me.

xCaDillaCx937x,

1. How many intake and how many exhaust fans do you have installed in the case and how large are they?

2. How warm is it in the room where the system located?

3. Describe to us how you applied the thermal paste when you installed the CPU cooler.

Last edited:
Let me stop you right here.

I suggest you put your clock back down to stock until you can figure out what is causing your temps to be so high. Max safe temperatures for the 965 is 62 degrees. With you sitting at 59 that is cutting it close. Like I said, I'd recommend going back down to stock, or at least close to it, or really really watch your temps. I am sure it could take more than 62 but why chance frying your cpu if you don't have to?

My 955 OC'd at 3.9 only got up to 47C in my last BF3 session with a 70F ambient temperature so you definitively have something going on on your end.

i just recently redid the seating and paste. had to rma my first mobo. had this one about 3 months. i might give a go again eventually but the vcore moving 0.2 is what im really wondering about. if set my llc to regular it decreases the vcore voltage i set manually.

Last edited:
Yeah I might would re seat it but I doubt that is it. Could be part of it but I'm not so sure.

How's your case air flow? That could be a problem too.

As for your v core fluctuation, mine goes from 1.318 to 1.392 depending on if I'm idling or under load. I have mine manually set at 1.49 or 1.42, either way I think it's normal for it to ignore you lol. My buddy's machine does the same thing but his starts at a high vcore and ends with an outrageous vcore so I think you're fine.

You normaly need to test you're LLC settings individually, as each board assigns different amount of extra vcore under load, and some do it no matter what, I usually set mine to one below the highest level and on most of my boards it seems to keep it pretty much around the bios setting under load, but a 0.2 increase is a bit extreme and is not needed.

maybe i should try to play around with llc settings. i did reg already it was under volting.

OP, two people have suggested your case ventilation might be the issue. You want to comment on that? See my question in post #7 item #3.

OP, two people have suggested your case ventilation might be the issue. You want to comment on that? See my question in post #7 item #3.

to tell you the truth i couldnt really tell you. its an alienware predator 2.0b case . what is the best way to tell the airflow other than just observation? it feels fine inside if thats what you mean lol. 3 intakes 1 exhaust. 2 120mm push and pull on the radiator exhaust . 1 120mm intake bottom front. 1 92 mm intake by the hdd bay. and 1 more 120mm intake on side panel . thermal paste i went with the thin line. artic silver 5.
UPDATE: I think i fixed vcore for the most ultra high setting seems to move the least (barely at all) but it drops about.016v. my temps already went down. 55 max dropping to 54c so far 20min. 74F room temp now. after 30min or so it has gone up in temp to 57c max

Last edited:
Thanks for the info on the case ventilation. That would not seem to be the problem. What is you room temp like?

You normaly need to test you're LLC settings individually, as each board assigns different amount of extra vcore under load, and some do it no matter what, I usually set mine to one below the highest level and on most of my boards it seems to keep it pretty much around the bios setting under load, but a 0.2 increase is a bit extreme and is not needed.

He 'said' 0.2 change under load but it is not but 0.024 under load. That is not tenths but hundredths. A lot of difference between what he said and actual but not a whole lot of difference in actual voltage to the cpu. 0.02 is not something I would worry about, but the temps I would be worried about if he has mini-w/c setup and the temps are that high.
RGone...

If it is only 0.02v its adding, then I would not even bother trying to chase that fluctuation, as there will always some sort of fluctuation, no matter how high end you're board is.

The only exhaust fan is his rad it sounds like. That might be the problem. All the hot air in the case is going through his cooler.Try removing the side panel and see if your temps will go down.

The only exhaust fan is his rad it sounds like. That might be the problem. All the hot air in the case is going through his cooler.Try removing the side panel and see if your temps will go down.

Exactly. I'd definitely try that.

Back