• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Amd 965 Be Overclock questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
it looks like an airflow/contact plate issue.

I have the same cpu, am pushing 1.5v through the core for a similar oc, am in a room 5-10c warmer then yours, running on an average air rig, and am seeing nearly 10c cooler temps on average.

Pop the side of your case open, and stick a room fan in the side. see what happens to the temps. If you have a drop of more then 5c, then you have a case airflow issue. I'd also reseat your cpu cooler. It can't possibly be getting good thermal contact with those temps.

The only exhaust fan is his rad it sounds like. That might be the problem. All the hot air in the case is going through his cooler.Try removing the side panel and see if your temps will go down.

Good observation. Lots of intake but not much exhaust but on a PII X4 965 that might be enough. I'm wondering if his water cooler is not working properly, either because the water block is not making good contact or there is air in the lines.

Good observation. Lots of intake but not much exhaust but on a PII X4 965 that might be enough. I'm wondering if his water cooler is not working properly, either because the water block is not making good contact or there is air in the lines.

I had this thought as well.

Lets make sure its the simple stuff first (case airflow/poorly seated cpu block) before we start to look for other problems (malfunctioning pump, blockage in the line, air in the lines).

just got home will give it a try with side off . thanks
UPDATE: With side off 1/2 hr in 53c max 51-52c fluctuation. so already better. looks like i need another exhaust but customizing this case seems tough. any ideas?

Last edited:
What temp are you referring to as being better and now maxing out at 53c? Is this a CPU (socket) temp or a core temp?

What temp are you referring to as being better and now maxing out at 53c? Is this a CPU (socket) temp or a core temp?

core temp max. still at 51 mainly 53 is max. socket temp 51 current 52 max. An hour in p95 now.

im wondering if i should take the 1 intake on the side panel (now removed panel) and try to maybe flip the fan for another exhaust?

Still think that cooler should be doing a better job. You might want to redo the paste.

Still think that cooler should be doing a better job. You might want to redo the paste.

i will may be try redoing it again this week. with my case it sucks unless you use the sticky pads with the cooler. which are HARD to get off trust me. because of having to screw down the knobs and hold the back bracket in place. truthfully i thought the cooler would do better myself.

update: i didnt feel like waiting to redo my thermal paste. i took off the block and the print wasnt in any way even? maybe the plate/block itself is bad? anyways i think im going to try to put on more paste and lift and check the spread. maybe i should a different method of applying the paste. i had no problems with the spread on the stock cooler. maybe the sticky pads help with the pressure adding resistance? i have seen other people advise not using the pads with the cooler. the reason i think the block? i broke the first mount when switching boards and had to buy the replacement brackets and screws. which were hard for me to find.

Last edited:
I use a pea size gob right in the center of the CPU. I feel your pain with the brackets on those AIO coolers they're a real pain. DO NOT lift it off to check the spread all you will do is get air trapped between the CPU and plate when you re-assemble it. The key to tightening is cross corner and kepp it even one turn per screw at a time. It's a slow process but the most effective.
EDIT don't use sticky pads get some good thermal paste it's much more effective.

EDIT don't use sticky pads get some good thermal paste it's much more effective.

the sticky pads i speak of hold the back plate from the cooler in place so it doesnt move . i use artic silver 5. im gonna retry the paste later today. will keep you updated. thanks for all help.

Yeah, as others have said, tighten the pressure screws a little bit at a time in an "X" pattern to get even pressure, like you would when installing an intake manifold on an engine block.

I know the ones you mean and they do stick. Is that how you broke the first one. I know I had a hell of a time getting the backplate off when I switched boards.

I ruined a motherboard trying to pry off a cooler back plate that I had adhered in place with sticky pads. Don't ever use a screw driver to do this. It's hard on the traces.

those are the ones. i didnt break my mobo with them but it was a nightmare getting them off. i could see someone doing that though.

I ended up using my pocket knife and gently splitting the pads in two pieces

Back