• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Athlon XP 3000+ Retro Build!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

storm-chaser

Disabled
Going to go back to the very beginning of my computer career with this one. Back in 2004, this was only the second build of my life and I was just learning the ropes. Seeing the DDR performance gains to be had, it led directly to my overclocking hobby and inspired my drive for maximum performance.

I've managed to keep the processor for all these years just waiting for the right time to bring it out of hibernation. And that's exactly what we are going to do- and I'm going to keep this new build as close as possible to the original build specifications, so stay tuned.

1) Starting with the CPU, I spent a couple hours fixing bent pins - now we are back in business
2) Just purchased a like new Asus A7N8X Deluxe board (original board was an Asus A7N8X)
3) Purchased the last remaining massive 80mm masscool CPU cooler off Amazon. Original cooler was the same, a Masscool 5f394b1l3g
4) Slowly been collecting RAM for this project and I now have 1.5Gb of PC3200 to throw at it
5) I still have my original Creative Labs DXR3 DVD kit to install as well as a 250 w PSU
6) I have a decent case and only thing left to find is a good video card
7) I have an IDE-SATA converter and I intend on running an Intel 80GB Sata II SSD
8) I plan on running Windows 7 if at all possible

So the next step is waiting for parts to arrive and then I can really get down to the nitty gritty. So for now, enjoy a few pics of the pre-build and I'll update this thread going forward! :thup:

Athlon XP.jpg
A7N8X D XP.jpg
A7N8X D XP 2.jpg
Masscool XP.jpg
Masscool XP 2.jpg

You'll want to run XP on that rig. W7 is a little memory hungry.

This brings me back quite a few years. The board I have doesn't have sata ports, so at least you've got a decent drive to work with lol.

If you want a custom bios for that rig, you know where to look ;)

You'll want to run XP on that rig. W7 is a little memory hungry.

This brings me back quite a few years. The board I have doesn't have sata ports, so at least you've got a decent drive to work with lol.

If you want a custom bios for that rig, you know where to look ;)

Thanks. I will likely go for the modded BIOS if it gives me better overclockability.

It's going to be nice to have a solid state drive to help mitigate some of the performance flaws with this platform.

As for the OS, I am going to give windows 7 my best effort and run a large page file to help out. If I can't get proper driver support then I will switch back to XP.

Nice build I'm a big socket 462 fan.

Tiny7 should run okay. It's easy to find online or if you want to be extra safe PM me I can link you too my one of cloud drives.

As far as the board goes don't expect any outstanding overclocks even with a modded BIOS. It's a solid board no doubt but they need (as do the majority of S462) boards hard mods to fully unleash the potential. Then again you could win the chip lottery.

Listen to Scotty he knows his stuff.

Socket 462. So many factors! So much fun!

Thanks. I will likely go for the modded BIOS if it gives me better overclockability.

It's going to be nice to have a solid state drive to help mitigate some of the performance flaws with this platform.

As for the OS, I am going to give windows 7 my best effort and run a large page file to help out. If I can't get proper driver support then I will switch back to XP.

The number one concern on any bios for that board is going to be the mix matched Memory. This also will hinder your overclocking.

If your using air cooling, MX-4 would be a good compound to consider.

Huh, little weird that they'd stick Serial ATA on the box but not seeing it on the board.

I'm in the same boat, the first PC I called mine was a XP 2400+ workhorse. Do us XP users proud :salute:

Huh, little weird that they'd stick Serial ATA on the box but not seeing it on the board.

I'm in the same boat, the first PC I called mine was a XP 2400+ workhorse. Do us XP users proud :salute:

I will do my best. I have the memory on order, a g.skill PC3200 kit. Will be running in dual channel mode for max performance.

Capture memory 1.PNG

As for the SATA, I was wondering the same thing, don't see any ports from the pic but it appears the board will support up to two SATA 133 drives...
I also have some IDE to SATA converters so perhaps I can use those if for some reason I can't get the SATA ports sorted out.

SATA XP.PNG

EDIT: After further review it looks like the two connectors are of the standard type and are located next to the CMOS battery.

Capture SATA.PNG

Last edited:
In theory this is the way to go, however I've had bad luck with these converters in the past. I've tried a couple different makes without success. I think I'll be fine using the built in SATA ports. At least, that's the hope.

While I have not used the converter I linked, I do use IDE to SATA converter to use PATA drives on SATA MBs with no problems, I have 5 Vantec IDE to SATA Converters in use. You could use 1 of these VANTEC 6-Port SATA II 150 PCI Host Card if you need more ports.

Well guys things are coming together nicely. Just ordered this SSD for $15.95
-Just waiting on the CPU cooler and the aforementioned SSD.

SSD drive.jpg

If you don't have a vid card by New Years you can have the card in my sig. I'll post some pics of the rig too for nostalgia :)

Will you encounter HP diagnostics baked into that SSD?

I hope not. I think it will act like a standard SSD, despite the fact it's an OEM unit. More than likely HP just puts their own part number on someone else's hardware. Don't think they've made any changes to the drive other than that.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Well look at that! Thank you good sir! This will be a true community build.

If you run into MB/CPU issues, I've got an M2N68-AM+ and a 4200+ if you need an alternative.

Thanks but I want to keep this rig as close as possible to the original build specs from 2004.

So if I DO have an issue with some of the hardware I will simply go ahead and purchase replacements on eBay. I see another 400Mhz FSB Athlon XP 3000+ on eBay for 20 bucks shipped right now. Also, the A7N8X boards seem a bit cheaper now than in years past.

I've been stalking eBay literally for years for an A7N8X deluxe and I'm happy to have finally pulled the trigger.

CPU cooler showed up today so we are getting close to the assembly phase! I'll take some pictures of the beast cooler

tomorrow to give you guys a real good look at how monstrous it really is. One of the best coolers available short of

liquid cooling. But of course, I got the last one and now they are gone! :clap:

Be careful with the socket mount on that! I see people going crazy about about de-liding their CPUs now, and I just chuckle to remember strapping 1+ lbs copper onto a bare die that I spent all summer saving for. Makes me wonder if the smaller process is more fragile, or if people are just wimps now ;). Of course CPUs are more expensive too. I had a lot of fun taking apart old computers and chopping up their heatsinks with a dremel or hacksaw, then gluing them to mosfets / video card ram. Except that one time I reached into the case to move a temp probe and knocked one loose.

Going home today to start the build phase! For now I will be using my old Antec case and CL3 memory, just to make sure everything boots up the way it should.

Once the new parts arrive I will swap them in. I wonder if I could pre-install Windows 10 on another rig and then swap the SSD in?

I'll give it a try... (in an effort to circumvent the instruction set issue)

Back