• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Athlon XP 3000+ Retro Build!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Okay I've taken a few pics with my poor quality cell phone. They are slightly bulging on the top side, if that's the correct way to describe the situation. Not sure if this is the problem or what.

New memory has arrived and while it looks good, has done nothing to improve my no post scenario. I left the computer plugged in for an hour hoping it would magically post at some point and still nothing.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

KIMG0046.JPG

They're shot. They're Chemi-Con KZG's. One of the kings of cap failure. They bloat just being in storage.

lol.
It's not as easy as it once was. PCB's have more layers and much more copper now. Just your average iron ain't gonna cut it. You'll do more damage than repair with that.

It's not an average iron, it's a de-solder gun with a vacuum pump built in, watch this
. I have 1 thing to add to that video, the way I was trained to use these was to place the tip on the lead of the part (caps) to be removed and soon as I feel the solder melt, count to 3 and pull the trigger.

It's not an average iron, it's a de-solder gun with a vacuum pump built in, watch this
. I have 1 thing to add to that video, the way I was trained to use these was to place the tip on the lead of the part (caps) to be removed and soon as I feel the solder melt, count to 3 and pull the trigger.
I should have looked closer.
They're expensive, unless you're going to use it all the time or use it for your job. Average enthusiasts don't have one and wouldn't have a reason to unless it was for work.
I'm an above average enthusiast with about 40k in tools and I don't own one.

I don't have anything fancy. I have a Weller with a hand bulb for my solder sucker. It's not always the tools it has a lot to with skill and experience.

The board would probably come to life with the bad caps replaced.

Last edited:
Okay I've taken a few pics with my poor quality cell phone. They are slightly bulging on the top side, if that's the correct way to describe the situation. Not sure if this is the problem or what.

New memory has arrived and while it looks good, has done nothing to improve my no post scenario. I left the computer plugged in for an hour hoping it would magically post at some point and still nothing.

It only takes one bad cap for a no post situation.

Just install new caps. Its said to be super easy!!

So it looks like we will definitely make a go of it and try to get those caps replaced. I'm going to send it out to a pro to have this done. Don't want to risk screwing it up.

So, who's up for changing out my bad capacitors? Will pay top dollar.

So it looks like we will definitely make a go of it and try to get those caps replaced. I'm going to send it out to a pro to have this done. Don't want to risk screwing it up.

Go to Warp9 and well.... Here. This should help ya to the right direction. http://warp9-systems.proboards.com/thread/783/professionals-help

Was going to use that board in the W9 Comp. Not this time around.... and that's ok. It's going to be kick *** when it's up and running though. :attn:

If there are 2 that have gone bad, may as well have all of them changed if your going to send it out to have those 2 replaced, like someone else said, a cap does not have to bulge to go bad.
If you want to just for kicks, lookup exploding caps, the old caps made 40 years ago sound like a shot gun going off, I know I've heard some my self :rofl:

Oh if you buy the caps, I'll do it for free.

Last edited:
Off topic post, I am sorry.

Whitehawk I noticed your F@H stats. Very impressive! I can't imagine the electric bill though...

can you get a motherboard pci post code debug reader : https://www.ebay.com/itm/PCI-PC-Dia...019852?hash=item3f7b9ff3cc:g:E64AAOSwCQZZCs0w this can help to read boot block or atleast where the bios is stopping .
back to 2004 or so those asus a7n8x are very easy to kill with wrong memory timing or even few wrong bios setting , i had like 4-5 killed :)

Good to know. I am going to go ahead with this debug reader which is located in the good old US of A.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PCI-Debug-...h=item58fbd2db07:g:F7YAAOSwRJxZf9iS:rk:1:pf:0

I'll keep you guys updated.

Whitehawk, I will look into new caps and likely have you do the procedure. I want to see where the board stands first with the PCI debugger.

Good to know. I am going to go ahead with this debug reader which is located in the good old US of A.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PCI-Debug-...h=item58fbd2db07:g:F7YAAOSwRJxZf9iS:rk:1:pf:0

I'll keep you guys updated.

Whitehawk, I will look into new caps and likely have you do the procedure. I want to see where the board stands first with the PCI debugger.

If you have not ordered the PCI debugger, take a Ohm meter and check to see if those 2 caps are shorted, if so then I don't think the MB will power up for the debugger to work.
PSU's have what is called a crowbar mode that shuts down the PSU if there is a short or overload, if no shorts on the caps then order the debugger :)

Okay - I will hold off on the debugger for now and see about testing the suspect capacitors.

Thanks for the advice. I know we will get there. I am determined and we will make this work. Come hell or high water, the mighty Athlon XP will live again.

Quick Update.. Still waiting on parts. Not sure what's going on yet as I've been waiting on a good CPU to test and it has not showed up yet, and it should have been here by now.

Well, that's the last time I'll be doing business with OptyTrooper.

He promised me a CPU and BIOS chip and never delivered on the goods.

Needless to say, I am not happy. However, I have another good chip on the way now, so we can get moving on this.

Big thanks to Bones for helping me out and coming through in the clutch!

Well, that's the last time I'll be doing business with OptyTrooper.

He promised me a CPU and BIOS chip and never delivered on the goods.

Needless to say, I am not happy. However, I have another good chip on the way now, so we can get moving on this.

Big thanks to Bones for helping me out and coming through in the clutch!

It may not be his fault, Fedx delayed something I ordered for 2 months because of a bomb scare, so it could be the carrier that dropped the ball here.

Back