• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Athlon XP 3000+ Retro Build!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I know this is for a Athlon XP re-build, but I have a Athlon 64 3000+ system that I want to show you, it's been going for all most 20 years, I think it was 2000 (give or take a year) that I built it, Abit AV8.
I hope you get your system going soon, be nice to have a few old timer systems around. Here is a pic of my AV8 MB as I was transferring it from the old case to a HAF 932 case..

Athlon_64_1.JPG
Athlon_64_3.JPG

Last edited:
this thread makes me want to whip out my geil golden dragon and zalman flower cooler again.

any way, every post you have made with a mobo pic there are 2 caps that seem questionable to me, I don't know if its lighting or there is something on top of them or they might be slightly bulged, I attached a edited pic with them circled...

could be nothing too

eh.jpg

I used to replace caps on boards all the time. I still have some caps around. If some of you guys want to get those old boards fixed I might be able to help out for a small price.

Good eye. Those caps are shot.

thanks, the other hobby (retro gaming) has trained most of us to sniff out even the slightly bad caps in an effort for better video quality and just keeping the things going.
its gotten to the point of just replace, even if they aren't bulged, they could be dried out but that's on things like the 2600, way older than this mobo obviously

I am still curious what the OP thinks it still could be me being overly paranoid

Im up north for thanksgiving and I will inspect when I get back... couple days and I'll let ya'll know what they look like.

Im up north for thanksgiving and I will inspect when I get back... couple days and I'll let ya'll know what they look like.

If they are shot, don't feel bad. Mine are swollen really badly. Luckily we have a team member is is pro at replacing them!! You want to talk to Bones on how to do them if they need replaced or he might be able to do them for you.

Check out these bad boys! A random flashed bios and some random Cpu from some random guy won't fix it.... haha

0.jpg

why dont you whip out the soldering iron and fix it?
not that hard with through hole caps like those

side note, if any one likes their OG xbox to continue to work then i'd crack it open and remove the clock cap, all of them leak and for some reason the composition of that caps seems to be worse than others on board components
you'll just have to reset the time every time you unplug it

Because soldering motherboards is not my profession sir. I de-lid soldered processors instead. I'll send it to a pro ;)

Not that hard to do, all you need is something like this to de-solder caps

lol.
It's not as easy as it once was. PCB's have more layers and much more copper now. Just your average iron ain't gonna cut it. You'll do more damage than repair with that.

I've replaced dozens of those caps on motherboards. It's more a skill than the equipment. I've repaired electronics for over 30 years.
Even the LCD TV's have caps go bad in the power supplies. It's a common problem today.
A cap doesn't need to bulge to be bad. You'll find some bad that look fine.
Here's what I use to find bad caps in the circuit.

Attachments

• IMG_0961.JPG
    IMG_0961.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 234
Last edited:
Not that hard to do, all you need is something like this to de-solder caps

You guys are relentless.....

De-lidding Soldered AMD chips ain't that hard to do..... But I don't see any one else doing it HAHA!

Aaanndd I never once said that I've never soldered anything. I just know Bones is really good at it and has a better than 90% success ratio. My ratio is not that grand lol.

Out of 16 de-lidded soldered processors I killed 2, maybe 3. (can't remember) One by too much heat and another by cutting the traces in the PCB.

Back