• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Haven't their been a lot of bios related problems with the R.2 version of the 990FX?

"trents" we are not actually seeing a lot of bios issues that have shown theirselves in the cpu section here. What has been somewhat of a pain is the later bios versions seem to have issues reading the correct XMP settings. This though mostly on some of this later DDR3-2133 and DDR3-2400 ram.

What I have noticed is that if the entire advertising hype for the ram fails to mention AMD, then leave the ram alone. Ram should be ram but right now that is not so cut and dried.

Otherwise I have seen no issues. I just helped poco242 by phone to get P95 Blend mode stable at 4.8Ghz with FX-8350 and AiO cooler and it was nothing but a breeze on Sabertooth 990FX R2.0. Everything went as expected once he took the DDR3-2133 GSkill Snipers out and put the Gskill Ares DDR3-1866 that I like so well into the board and it was nothing but smooth sailing with the R2.0.
RGone...

"trents" we are not actually seeing a lot of bios issues that have shown theirselves in the cpu section here. What has been somewhat of a pain is the later bios versions seem to have issues reading the correct XMP settings . . .
RGone...

I think this sometimes happens on particular brands or models of RAM as well, both with boards for AMD and Intel chips. I recently purchased some Geil Vlaue Plus 1600 RAM from the classies. The seller said he had trouble getting it to run on AMD systesm above 1333 mhz. Well I had trouble getting it to run on both AMD and Pentium boards. As it turns out, it just needs more voltage than the advertised 1.6. At 1.65-1.7v it plays along merrily on either AMD or Pentium boards and will even do 1866 stable on 1.7v with relaxed timings.

You know all those folks who have problems with Kingston on AMD systems? I wonder if they would jack the voltage up on the ram if it would eliminate the problem. I get the feeling that the RAM manufacturers aren't giving much thought to AMD users these days as well.

You know all those folks who have problems with Kingston on AMD systems? I wonder if they would jack the voltage up on the ram if it would eliminate the problem. I get the feeling that the RAM manufacturers aren't giving much thought to AMD users these days as well.
After my bout with Nenad ( I wish he would have come back) I'm leaning toward the NB volts Trents. I did a lot of reading during and after that even talked to a few people directly and I came across an old Data sheet from AMD in which they said that 1.3-1.35v for NB may be necessary for stable operations and the one fella I talked to was doing almost exactly that but he also felt that his kingston wasn't happy when overvolted.

1.) >> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231653&ignorebbr=1
G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-2133C10D-8GAB

2.) >> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231519&ignorebbr=1
G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-17000CL11D-8GBSR

3.) >> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231550&ignorebbr=1
G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-1866C9D-8GAB

Ram #1 and #2 above are both GSkill ram and are both DDR3-2133 speed with somewhat different timings.

However they do not at all act anywhere alike when plugged into Sabertooth 990FX R2.0.
#1. Takes to AMD like a duck to water.

#2. Seemed to hate AMD when "poco242" had it in his Saber990FX with FX-8350. We pulled it and inserted #3. above which I recommend for FX processor setups and off to the races he was then able to go and get his setup P95 B stable at 4.8Ghz.

Don't ask me what the differences are in the memory sticks. Only likely "Woomack" might know since he takes the ram apart to see what makes it tick for sure. But suffice it to say, there is some difference in which of those two DDR3-2133 ram kits acted when in an AMD rig.
RGone...ster.

It could very well be that the solution is different for different RAM or different motherboards. I tried increasing the IMC voltage on the Pentium board and it did not help with the Geil RAM I referenced above but increasing the RAM voltage did work. But note that this Geil RAM was high voltage stuff to begin with.

It could very well be that the solution is different for different RAM or different motherboards. I tried increasing the IMC voltage on the Pentium board and it did not help with the Geil RAM I referenced above but increasing the RAM voltage did work. But note that this Geil RAM was high voltage stuff to begin with.

That's what makes it fun... right?? trying to figure it out without ever seeing it in real life.

I can attest to some ram just not working well with a setup. For the life of me I cannot get my G.Skill Sniper 1866's 9-10-9 to run at 1866 with any kind of stability.

Bough a set of Crucial Ballistix 1866 9-9-9 recently and they plugged in an played nice at 1866 and have tested to 2k stable without issue.

Same goes for my Ripjaw 2133's 7-10-7 and my Ripjaw 1600 9-9-9 both have run 1866-2000 tested stable.

Then darn snipers just wont play nice and I even RMA'ed them to no avail.

Then darn snipers just wont play nice and I even RMA'ed them to no avail.

That's odd too, I think the snipers that RGone and poco were messing with sre the same or very similar as mine and I've have these suckers all over the map. I just had another look at his SPD and think they might actually be different. Mine were 1.65v at 2133 if I remember correctly. But mine also say AM3+ on the package as RGone had mentioned earlier.

Johan I even tried the 1866 Snipers I bought a few weeks ago for my dad's Apu setup they work fine in the Apu even up to 2133 but in the CHV they wreak havoc, wish I had an answer!

There are TWO different kits of GSkill Snipers at the same DDR3-2133. One has tight timings and I bet works fine with AMD, but there is that other looser timings set that 'poco' had and they on first expedition, did not work so well. The DDR3-2133 Snipers 'poco' was trying reminded me completely of issues lately with fast rated Kingston ram.
RGone...

Johan I even tried the 1866 Snipers I bought a few weeks ago for my dad's Apu setup they work fine in the Apu even up to 2133 but in the CHV they wreak havoc, wish I had an answer!

"manny" didn't you build your Dad a Kaveri APU rig? The Kaveri is supposed to have a better IMC for sure.
RGone...

The Snipers I had all 3 were 1866 9-10-9 1.5v.

Yes gonester it was an Apu, my point was more that there is nothing wrong with the sticks. They just dont like my Fx setup.

They just dont like my Fx setup.

I bet you can say that again. I was rounding up some ram to settle a debt and ordered two kits. Not the GSkill kits I normally get. The two kits came and I slapped them into my CHV and neither freeken kit would boot fully and certainly not to winders. Use Mem OK button and complete boot up process but don't shutdown and REboot or it was Mem OK button all over again.

RMA'd those two kits and paid more attention to what I was getting n the GSkill line-up and when they got to me...slapped in and no problemO and when they got to their permanent home there was no issue either.

The two kits I had issue with on AMD had huge inserts touting Z-87 compatible. Yeah right. I ain't going to use in Z-87. The second round of ram had for sure something about AMD in the 'overview hype. They worked. Go freeken figure.
RGone...ster.

Funny how that works eh?? The last couple sets I bought new listed both AM3+ and Z87 and guess what. It works in both, well aside from what I posted about the BIOPS thing a ma jigger, with the 2400 ram.

I do not have this board yet - Sabertooth 990FX R2.0. I'm glad I was steered in the right direction on which ram to get for this board. I also heard there were issues related to "wake up on sleep," with newer bios. I dont use that function, but just fyi for people that do.

Now another twist. When I press F5 and evoke the "Optimized Defaults" on my Asus P8P67 Deluxe and manually set the RAM frequency to 1600 mhz the Geil Value Plus RAM will run at 9-9-9-24-2T (4x4=16 gb) on (as reported by bios) 1.5 volts and is stable under IntelBurnTest "High" setting. Geil says it is supposed to be run on 1.6v at 1600 and before using "Optimized Defaults" it was not even stable on that voltage on the same board. "Optimized Default" seems to have worked some magic!

After my bout with Nenad ( I wish he would have come back) I'm leaning toward the NB volts Trents. I did a lot of reading during and after that even talked to a few people directly and I came across an old Data sheet from AMD in which they said that 1.3-1.35v for NB may be necessary for stable operations and the one fella I talked to was doing almost exactly that but he also felt that his kingston wasn't happy when overvolted.

You guys might be on to something. I had a set of those Kingston 2400 ram that wouldn't even boot in my fx8350, boot but just in my older FX 8150 bit worked fine in the AMD APU I had...... dam but can't remember which one it was at the moment.

Back