• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Centurion?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

(G{in}[AK)TION]

am i the first to make this?...i hope so.

http://www.techoftomorrow.com/2013/pc/amd-to-launch-5-ghz-centurion-800-cpu-to-compete-with-intel/

an 8 core cpu at 5ghz...for 800 dollars...i hope they know what they are doing. and judging by the looks of it, it seems like only a water cooler can cool this thing down. you would have to keep it at stock speed if using a stock cooler. it would be impossible to overclock if you used the stock. well, at least thats what i think.

but anyhertz, it would be cool if this "Centurion" actually outperforms the haswell series along with the intel 39xx series. im not being a fanboy here, i actually like both AMD and intel. the processors they come up with is like watching a muay thai fight using moves all the way from ancient times.

i still look forward to getting their 8350 to overclock for fun though...

opinions anyone?

If its anything like the Bristol Centaurus, you know it's going develop some serious power :D

7154780018_277b9d7e86_z.jpg

All joking aside, it's been discussed before but nobody really knows. It's more in the rumor stage right now. But then again a few years ago when the bulldozer roadmap was leaked, there were folks who said the 8350 was just a "paper tiger" and would never be produced.

i feel like my sources suck. :(

Probably since there has already been a thread in here about Centurion about 2 weeks ago.

Since AMD's roadmap fell apart and the next iteration which was Steamroller moved from 2013 to some time in 2014 that left a lot of time for AMD to have to fill in with more hype like they did with a years worth before the Bulldozer release. And then Bulldozer was not the big hit of 2011 by no means for the single cpu gaming crowd.

The Vishera class FX processor kicks the Bulldozer over into its' own dug out ditch but still no contest in gaming for the SandyBridge or IvyBridge and one on one at stock speeds like no contest for Haswell.

Many of us already have FX-8350s that run 5.0Ghz and above on some Big Water cooling and even there the FX processor cannot outright whip the SB and IB cpus and if not there, surely not a Haswell in pure gaming performance.

So unless they were to fix the IPC of the Vishera processors, something you would expect and hope for in Steamroller, then a stock clocked 5.0Ghz, FX processor for $800 is not a filet mignon at all. Already had FX-8350 beyond 5.0Ghz and it is one HOT; power hungry SoB.

You don't have to release a Centurion to keep people on the edge of their seats, just leak that it might happen and AMD keeps their name somewhat to the front and don't have to release anything at all. Awesome hyped marketing.

RGone...

You don't have to release a Centurion to keep people on the edge of their seats, just leak that it might happen and AMD keeps their name somewhat to the front and don't have to release anything at all. Awesome hyped marketing.

RGone...

:thup:

Yer.... I don't think I'll be upgrading for a long time.... Nothing really makes use of what I have.... And I've lost interest in gaming.... Maybe once BF4 comes out.....

If its anything like the Bristol Centaurus, you know it's going develop some serious power :D

7154780018_277b9d7e86_z.jpg

All joking aside, it's been discussed before but nobody really knows. It's more in the rumor stage right now. But then again a few years ago when the bulldozer roadmap was leaked, there were folks who said the 8350 was just a "paper tiger" and would never be produced.

Why is there a movie still from the movie Total Recall relating to this?

I guess that was a little bit of a reach. :popcorn: Bristol centaurus, Amd Centurion, similar name both equating to serious power. An unknown potential.

Little more info on this powerplant:
The Bristol Centaurus was one of the largest displacement piston engines produced during World War II. It had 18 cylinders (that's about 3L per cylinder) and developed some 2000 HP, and later versions over 3000 HP. It was used in classic fighters of the war, such as the Hawker Tornado and Hawker Tempest.

I guess that was a little bit of a reach. :popcorn: Bristol centaurus, Amd Centurion, similar name both equating to serious power. An unknown potential.

Little more info on this powerplant:
The Bristol Centaurus was one of the largest displacement piston engines produced during World War II. It had 18 cylinders (that's about 3L per cylinder) and developed some 2000 HP, and later versions over 3000 HP. It was used in classic fighters of the war, such as the Hawker Tornado and Hawker Tempest.

When I saw that picture, I wasn't thinking names being similar or anything like that..

I was thinking that was what an air cooler for the Centurion would look like :attn:

Back