• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD FX 4170

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

snic

CPU is rated for 4.2 ghz
however mine is running at 4.6 ghz
others on Newegg have similar speeds with Asus Sabertooth and 1102 bios.
before updating it ran at fact spec 4.2 ghz- variable speeds.
temperature are all over with 4.6 ghz speeds. 31-45 to max of 51 (prime95)(room temp is 86 F)
When mobo is set to AUTO - it drop each core down to 1.4 ghz and ramps up as soon as load demands.
max temp per amd is 61.1 C
Using thermaltake maxorb which has performed well in past.
4.6 is a nice speed- will running this chip at slightly over full speed 100% of time compromise the cpu or should I turn it back to variable speed(s). Or am I pushing it too far??
Thanks

Without seeing HWMonitor running in the background to capture CPU and CPU Core Temp speeds it is hard to say for sure.

I would run P95 with HWMonitor logging max temps/volts and capture same and attach to the forum so we can all have a look see before giving out advise. Sounds like you are just at the limit of your cooling right now. Capture only the menu window and not the whole dang screen since those types of captures show little information due resolution.

What are you measuring temp with? Asus utility or some 3rd party software like HWMonitor or CoreTemp? Are these core temps you quote or CPU temps?

What are you measuring temp with? Asus utility or some 3rd party software like HWMonitor or CoreTemp? Are these core temps you quote or CPU temps?

The Asus core temps do not match - they are slightly higher
I was using AMD' s overdrive program for the cpu temps

Let me work on P95 with HWMonitor and will up date -
Thanks

Ok Looks like using HW Monitor I exceed 61 degrees under prime 95
I attached the image

Attachments

• HWMON.jpg
    HWMON.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 1,398
That cooler is not adequate to do what you are trying to do in the way of overclocking. It only weighs 465gm. Significant overclocking the FX eight core CPUs is really not possible on air with the possible exception the Noctua D14. Most folks are using water cooling on these.

I agree - I need low profile - on the reviews this is one of the top 5 -Noctua NH-L12
or would I need some thing like corsair H80 ??
THanks

You need a new case. You will not get adequate cooling on air with anything other than the highest end 120mm fan based tower style coolers. They are tall and require a minimum case width of about 8" to provide clearance to the side panel. The Noctua cooler you reference maybe the best low profile cooler available but it still won't be as good as a big tower style cooler. Heat rises. It's physics.

The H80 would be a better way to go but probably still not adequate. The H100 would be but will it fit in your case?

Back