• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

amd fx 8120 overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

leo5111

i have the fx 8120 and asrock board this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157281 im back on amd after being a intel guy for long time so i dont know where to even start to overclock a amd. also i heard windows released a update to make better use of the cpu does windows automaticly get it or do i need to go get the update? thanks
:popcorn:

I own the FX-6100. Stock speed of 3.3GHz, I have it stable @ 4.2GHz.

I would recommend keeping the FSB the same, like 200

Just change the multiplier (though everyone does their own thing); mine is set to 21x (200 x 21 = 4200mhz)

Make sure you have a decent cooler, I use the H60- temps never go above 34C when gaming - even with stock paste (lazy me).

Though I am at 4.2GHz, I have heard many people get up to 4.7 or 4.8 stable for my model but I only get issues past my point... I paid for 3.3 and get 4.2, can not complain.

Since your stock is 3.1, you should be able to get 4.0-4.2GHz without adjusting voltage and just messing with multiplier - give it a go... :thup:

agreed on the multiplier clocking :) i use a 22x and i hit 4400mhz (4,4ghz) stabile with very little effort tho im 1 increment over stock :) tho the 8120 BE is a heat monster so my cores hit 41 and cpu is 51 - that said im running Watercool system but it rox the sox of the pwney 2500k i5 which on extreme mode clocks itself to 4,6ghz :)

my 970 mobo keeps throttling

I own the FX-6100. Stock speed of 3.3GHz, I have it stable @ 4.2GHz.

I would recommend keeping the FSB the same, like 200

Just change the multiplier (though everyone does their own thing); mine is set to 21x (200 x 21 = 4200mhz)

Make sure you have a decent cooler, I use the H60- temps never go above 34C when gaming - even with stock paste (lazy me).

Though I am at 4.2GHz, I have heard many people get up to 4.7 or 4.8 stable for my model but I only get issues past my point... I paid for 3.3 and get 4.2, can not complain.

Since your stock is 3.1, you should be able to get 4.0-4.2GHz without adjusting voltage and just messing with multiplier - give it a go... :thup:
hello mate since you have the same mobo as me mine keeps throttling my fx 8120 when it hits 53c iv turned everything off in bios aswell can you help me please

leo, it's pretty straight forward with this CPU family as others have said. Three things are involved, basically:

1. Disable Cool N Quiet, C1E, C6, Turbo Boost (or whatever they call it in your bios) and APM (Advanced Power Management. Then go into Windows Control Panel Power Options and configure it to High Performance. This should disable all the "green", power-saving, down-clocking, undervolting stuff that messes with overclocking.
2. Locate the CPU multiplier (may be called "Ratio" something in your bios). Raise it in .5x increments and after each increment stress test with Prime95 blend. When you start to fail the stress test, add .025 increment of CPU voltage ("vcore" we call it for short) to restabilize. Add another increment of vcore if necessary. Increase the vcore as necessary to stabilize as you increase the multiplier. Run 20 minute Prime stress tests in the beginning but as you sense your are hitting the wall run longer tests to confirm stability. A final stress test should be several hours long before you can conclude that you truly are stable.
3. Wheneve you stress test have HWMonitor open on the desktop to monitor temps. Keep an eye on both "core" temps and CPU temps as the FX CPUs often have poorly calibrated core temp sensors that read significantly cooler than they should. Don't let core temps exceed 60c and don't let CPU (socket) temps exceed 65-70c. Instability usually sets in before your reach temps that will damage anything.

leo, it's pretty straight forward with this CPU family as others have said. Three things are involved, basically:

1. Disable Cool N Quiet, C1E, C6, Turbo Boost (or whatever they call it in your bios) and APM (Advanced Power Management. Then go into Windows Control Panel Power Options and configure it to High Performance. This should disable all the "green", power-saving, down-clocking, undervolting stuff that messes with overclocking.
2. Locate the CPU multiplier (may be called "Ratio" something in your bios). Raise it in .5x increments and after each increment stress test with Prime95 blend. When you start to fail the stress test, add .025 increment of CPU voltage ("vcore" we call it for short) to restabilize. Add another increment of vcore if necessary. Increase the vcore as necessary to stabilize as you increase the multiplier. Run 20 minute Prime stress tests in the beginning but as you sense your are hitting the wall run longer tests to confirm stability. A final stress test should be several hours long before you can conclude that you truly are stable.
3. Wheneve you stress test have HWMonitor open on the desktop to monitor temps. Keep an eye on both "core" temps and CPU temps as the FX CPUs often have poorly calibrated core temp sensors that read significantly cooler than they should. Don't let core temps exceed 60c and don't let CPU (socket) temps exceed 65-70c. Instability usually sets in before your reach temps that will damage anything.
I have done all of this and its still throttling it i cant even play games without it throttling which causes stuttering

Try pointing a fan to blow on the socket area. This is commonly reported problem. Apparently, the APM is very complex on these FX systems and stubbornly resists every effort to control the down-throttling. We see this most often on the low and mid-range motherboards. The 990FX chipset boards with the heavy duty power phases seem to do better.

Try pointing a fan to blow on the socket area. This is commonly reported problem. Apparently, the APM is very complex on these FX systems and stubbornly resists every effort to control the down-throttling. We see this most often on the low and mid-range motherboards. The 990FX chipset boards with the heavy duty power phases seem to do better.
Cheers for your fast responce but iv whent to clear my cmos and now my pc starts but no signal on screen can you help

I hope you used the correct procedure when clearing the cmos because if not you may have permanently corrupted it. Before you moved that jumper I hope you at least switched the PSU off with the power switch on the back of the PSU or even better, that you pulled the plug on it from the wall socket and that before you powered back up you moved the jumper back to default position.

I hope you used the correct procedure when clearing the cmos because if not you may have permanently corrupted it. Before you moved that jumper I hope you at least switched the PSU off with the power switch on the back of the PSU or even better, that you pulled the plug on it from the wall socket and that before you powered back up you moved the jumper back to default position.
Cheers got it working again iv installed new windows 7 im installing about 256 updates for windows will the fx hot fix be in with them and i have a water cooled corsair h40 and when im doing a stress test at stock voltage 3.1ghz the heat shoots up to 54c and throttles down to 1ghz its realy cheesing me off will the stock heatsink and fan be any better because that is still in the box and thanks for your fast replys im realy grafeful

An h40 is probably inadequate for that CPU. Most folks running the FX 8 cores are running the H100 or at minimum the H80. But you need to make sure your water block is making good contact and your TIM is making good coverage. Make sure your radiator fan and case fans are pointing in the right direction. The radiator fan should be drawing cool air from the ouside through the radiator but the case fans should be doing a push pull thing so as to move air from front/low to back/top and then out. Tell us about your case. What make and model is it? How many case fans and how large are they? Good case ventilation is important to cool temps. You've got to move the hot air out of the case. Here's a good pic of how it should be. If you're radiator fan is pulling cool air in but you do not have other fans exhausing hot air from the inside that is bad.

Attachments

• case ventilation.JPG
    case ventilation.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 1,844
An h40 is probably inadequate for that CPU. Most folks running the FX 8 cores are running the H100 or at minimum the H80. But you need to make sure your water block is making good contact and your TIM is making good coverage. Make sure your radiator fan and case fans are pointing in the right direction. Tell us about your case. What make and model is it? How many case fans and how large are they? Good case ventilation is important to cool temps. You've got to move the hot air out of the case. Here's a good pic of how it should be.

I have a new coolermaster haf 932 i have same system cooling set up as in picture the way the air flows,its still cheesying me off how i have all throttling stuff disabled in bios and i have latest bios update iv even tryed beta bios aswell and no joy

hello mate since you have the same mobo as me mine keeps throttling my fx 8120 when it hits 53c iv turned everything off in bios aswell can you help me please

Is that 53c referring to CPU temps or core temps? If you haven't done so please check temps with HWMonitor 'cause it gives both core temps and CPU (socket) temps. With this family of CPUs the core temp sensors are poorly calibrated and read about 15c too cool. Run a stress test with Prime95 and report back what HWMonitor says for both core temps an CPU temps (maybe disguised as one of the TMPIINx lines).

That board should be adequate for that CPU at stock speeds and voltages and even some mild overclocking but you've got to have good cooling.

Are you having high ambient temps in the UK right now?

Gtx670

That board should be adequate for that CPU at stock speeds and voltages and even some mild overclocking but you've got to have good cooling.

Are you having high ambient temps in the UK right now?
Temps seem better at stock speed and voltage running prime for 20 min and temps not passing 41c what voltage should i be able to get to reach 4.2ghz sorry to be a pain im still learning and for the uk its all pretty crap and rain its pretty cool outside at night im gona invest in a h100 the wife is not happy ha will my fx 8120 bottleneck my gtx 670 at stock

Last edited:
Raise your multiplier by .5x increments starting on stock voltage. Keep increasing the multiplier until you cannot pass a 20 minute Prime95 blend test. Then add a little CPU voltage to get it stable again and then start increasing the multiplier in .5x incrments. Only add voltage when you need it to get it stable again and only add as much voltage as you need. You need to feel your way through it. I can't give you ready made plug and play numbers. Your temp-related instability ("stuttering" ) will let you know when you have added too much voltage. Cut back the multiplier at that point by .5x and run Prime for a long time. Passing Prime for at least 2 hrs. will demonstrate real stability.

Raise your multiplier by .5x increments starting on stock voltage. Keep increasing the multiplier until you cannot pass a 20 minute Prime95 blend test. Then add a little CPU voltage to get it stable again and then start increasing the multiplier in .5x incrments. Only add voltage when you need it to get it stable again and only add as much voltage as you need. You need to feel your way through it. I can't give you ready made plug and play numbers. Your temp-related instability ("stuttering" ) will let you know when you have added too much voltage. Cut back the multiplier at that point by .5x and run Prime for a long time. Passing Prime for at least 2 hrs. will demonstrate real stability.

When you say 5x increments you meen at stock its 3.1ghz so my next would be 3.6ghz is that correct,reason i want to overclock is that i think my gtx 670 is to powerful for my fx 8120 because in games mu gpu usage is only 75 to 80%

Back