• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

amd fx 8120 overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You missed a decimal point there as trents said you should raise your mulyt by .5 and test as you go to find your max stability. A multiplier increase of .5 will raise your cpu by 100mhz.

You missed a decimal point there as trents said you should raise your mulyt by .5 and test as you go to find your max stability. A multiplier increase of .5 will raise your cpu by 100mhz.

Nice 1 lads but these big fans on my haf 930 dont seem to spin that fast the air that comes off are not that good anyway of making them faster in my bios everything on full

By big fans I assume you are talking about your 200MM fans? If so ..... 200mm fans typically spin in the 700rpm - 900rpm range and would look slow compared to smaller, say 120mm fans.

those 200mm fans are just fine they may not spin fast but move allot of air out of your case which is what they were designed todo. If you want bling and LED lights on them Coolemater does make them as well as the Bitfenix Pro 200 are both great fans as well though like I said these fans are just fine.

The FX patch are not part of your normal downloads if you want them you will have to download and install them yourself. I didnt install them and from what I have read witch is admittedly not allot, the improvment was not that significant. Someone plese correct me if I am wrong on this one.

the effectivness of the fx patches is in question, it,'s betweem 1 and 5 percent.
on mine it was about 2 percent but, they are free so very much worth it.
it's made up of two downloads in a certian order.

the only change to the haf case i have made it to mount an 80mm fan on the video card support bracket blowing into the socket area to cool the vrms and mosfets and added an 80mm exaust fan on the case side panel behind the motherboard. I am getting rid of my 8120 cpu's so i will now delete these fans.

Last edited:
How did we get from missing a decimal point on the CUP multiplier to fans?

I think il be waisting my money on a h100 if the vrms on my board cant hack the 8120 what you think

Look at it this way, even if you had or wind up getting another motherboard with better power regulation, say 8+2 power phase, you would still need better cooling. I say get the better cooling now and see how much it helps the present board. Your present board at least has sinks on the VRM stuff. Of course, I don't want you to get in trouble with the wife.

Look at it this way, even if you had or wind up getting another motherboard with better power regulation, say 8+2 power phase, you would still need better cooling. I say get the better cooling now and see how much it helps the present board. Your present board at least has sinks on the VRM stuff. Of course, I don't want you to get in trouble with the wife.

Do the vrms look like 2 heat sinks with 2 spring type buttons on eitherside of them if so mine has a plastic film coating covering them is this normal

Actually, I mispoke. You have a heatsink over the mosfets but not the VRMs. The mosfets being sinked are more important. If you have plastic film on any heatsinks, remove it as it will impair the heat dissipation.

Attachments

• VRM.JPG
    VRM.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 280
Actually, I mispoke. You have a heatsink over the mosfets but not the VRMs. The mosfets being sinked are more important. If you have plastic film on any heatsinks, remove it as it will impair the heat dissipation.

In that picture in the bottom left there is some sort of heat sink with the letter A on it that is were the plastic coating is on should i peal it off??

This image is a little mis-leading. The 'sink' is on the mosfets which do heat up when regulating Vcore to the cpu. The "chokes' "X'd
as VRM's are seldom actually sinked since the coil is inside a plastic housing and they will transfer little heat to a sink to begin with. The chokes are only part of a VRM circuit and not the VRM itself.

attachment.php

Back