• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Amd fx 8120 Voltage settings.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Oreofarm

Registered
Hi i am quite new to this and i have recently built a rig that uses the amd fx 8120. Despite people constantly ripping on the cpu, i love my bulldozer because it has served me well. I had a question about the temps of the cpu and what voltages to run it at. I keep it for now at the default 3.1 Ghz because right now i dont have a powerful enough power supply to OC but i was wondering what are stable voltages to run it under load. Whenever i start it up it has a CPU VID of 1.3375 and an NB VID of 1.2375. Are these voltages too high to run the CPU at under load or am i just fine? I want to know if i am consuming more power than needed at the default 3.1 Ghz. Im not all too worried about temps because they never get above 55C, but maybe if i bump the voltages down i can dissipate some heat? Thanks in advance! :)

Howdy, and :welcome: to the forums! I'd better get my say before caddi shows up...

To the best of my memory, I believe you have a very middle-of-the-road chip, voltage wise. This, also going off my memory, has translated to better overclocking potential. You may have a good chip.

I'm quite certain you can under-volt it. Mine went all the way down to 1.24 before instability presented itself. My temperatures did drop, and power consumption most assuredly dropped, though how much I couldn't say. With that said...

My chips vid is somewhere around 1.27 or 1.28, much lower than yours. Mine is a bad one, it's very leaky and runs absurdly hot. I got a water-cooling loop just for my cpu, and it still hits 55 celcius under load (overclocked, that is.)

Also, running the voltages at their stock values should never be dangerous in the least, except in the instance of over-heating. 55 celsius is the safe limit for this chip.

Reason for edit: clarity, relevance.

Last edited:
Hello and thank you for the feedback! On a similar note, what would be the instability dangers if i accidentally ran my voltages too low?

Dangers? Heh, the only danger is frustration when your computer BSODs.

Tell you what: Could you please post a list of the components in your system, like in my signature? After you've posted a few more times, the forum will let you make a signature, and you can add it there. It'll help everybody when we're responding to you.

Last edited:
Sorry my components are:
CPU: FX 8120 @ 3.1 Ghz
Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3 AM3+
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws 4GB (2 x 2GB)
Graphics: Evga GTX 560 1gb (non ti)
Power Supply: CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 600W ATX12V
Case: CM Storm Enforcer

Cool, thank you. You have a nice rig!

Are you familiar with the programs HW monitor and Prime95? If not, you should download and install them (well, prime95 doesn't need to be installed).

HW monitor is a temperature monitor, Prime95 is used for stability testing. It runs a bunch of prime math calculations through your processor, trying mightily to hit 100% usage (it always hits 99%+). It's a great way to see if your processor has enough voltage for a given clock rate, and also reveals weaknesses in your cooling solution :rolleyes:

Using Prime95, you can undervolt your processor one increment at a time, testing in-between, until it finally locks up the computer. Then up the voltage to the last good increment, and voila! Your processor in undervolted, lowering heat output and power consumpution (slightly).

Thank you! Yes actually i am familiar with HW monitor but not Prime95. I mostly use Core temp to monitor my temps. Thank you for the info about Prime95! Do you think using my rig i'd be able to OC safely? Testing it with the parameters given by Prime95? The case i have has 2 200mm fans one for intake and one for exhaust and also 1 120 mm fan for exhaust, but i am using the stock CPU cooler.

You know, honestly I don't think so. I'd guesstimate that your power supply could handle a reasonable OC, but the stock heatsink most certainly cannot. My stock heatsink couldn't even handle my chip undervolted (stock clockspeed)!

Here's a good thing to try: Go run prime95 for 5 minutes or so, and check your temperatures (preferably with HW monitor, I'm not sure coretemp is accurate with amd's fx chips). If they're over 55 celcius, you have a problem.

I ran it for 5 mins on a blend test. My temps reached 52C at 1.3 volts and didnt go above for the rest of the test.
Edit: I was actually thinking of picking up a COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO for my CPU because i heard its great for the price and im a poor college kid on a budget :(

That actually sounds promising. You may be able to squeeze a few hundred extra mhz out of it without risking temperature damage.

In fact, if you get the hyper 212, I'm rather sure you can get to 3.8-4.0 ghz while staying within both the thermal and power envelopes dictated by your system. I know I feel the difference in my system going from stock to my current settings!

Also, what major are you going for? I hear the job market is kinda tough right now :-/

It does? Because i have no clue how to even try and raise the mhz on my chip lol. Yeah i was really looking into the hyper 212 because the delta fan on my stock cooler is like a freaking jet engine, no cpu cooler should have to reach 6000 rpm to cool the chip. I just hope the hyper 212 will fit in my case.

Oh im majoring in Criminal Justice actually, i already have my A.S in it and im working towards my Bachelors. Hopefully ill be able to find something interesting without the job market trying to shut me out.

You can modify the clock speeds through the bios. I'd leave things alone for the time being, unless you're really eager. It'd be best to get the 212 first.
I too, was astonished by the noise the stock heatsink's fan made. Who decided that this was even approaching reasonable? My computer used to sit right next to my head too, so it was really annoying :p

I hopped over to newegg to check things out, and it certainly looks like a 212 will fit. The height I'm certain of, the specs on the case say 175 mm is the maximum height for the cooler.
Both the 212 coolers are under 160 mm.

As for the other dimensions, I imagine it's merely a task of trying to shoehorn it into place, and then get the screws tightened without suffering bad contact.

Also, don't arrest me if I advise you incorrectly :D lol

Edit: I'm going offline now. I've gotta do some cleaning, then it's bed-time for me. Good night!

Last edited:
Even the largest of coolers will fit in a CMStorm Enforcer. I run the same case and just installed the big phanteks cooler.

Oreofarm, the advice Arbiter odie gave you was very sound. Also as stated the Cm 212 will fit in your case. Here is an overclocking guide using a Gigabyte Motherboard so it should be pretty simple for you to follow. Also please add a signature it will help us help you, using the post Rgone put up.

Back