• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD FX 8320 is stuck at 1400mhz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

red773

Hi i just built a new computer 2 days ago and it was working fine until i attempted to overclock it. When i overclocked it from 3.5ghz to 4.0ghz it woulded start so i reset the CMOS. After i booted up i saw very bad performance in games such as massive lag spikes which i was not seeing before. I downloaded something to look at my clockspeed and it said 1400mhz i thought it was a glitch so i got CPU-Z which also read 1400mhz. I also used OC genie 2 to overclock it again and got the same result 1400mhz. Here is my full parts list: Sapphire Radeon R9 270X 4Gb GDDR5, AMD FX 8320, Kingston Hyper X fury single stick 8gb, Sentey XPP 725w, MSI 970 gaming motherboard.

Welcome to OCF...

...Note: IF Windows power manager is not set to Performance Mode (not by default) then the cpu will idle down to 1400Mhz when n0t under load. You need a load on system like P95 Blend or something else to load computer and while loaded you might read CPU-z. I am typing this and my cpu is NOT loaded.

Note: I would unplug power supply from the wall outlet and then Remove the battery and jumper to clear CMOS or press and hold a button if so equiped for 15 seconds. If using jumper leave jumpered to Clear position for 3 mins. Reinstall the battery and make sure if using jumper to move back to "use" position. Boot and see if system clocks correctly now.

RGone....

...Note: IF Windows power manager is not set to Performance Mode (not by default) then the cpu will idle down to 1400Mhz when n0t under load. You need a load on system like P95 Blend or something else to load computer and while loaded you might read CPU-z. I am typing this and my cpu is NOT loaded.

Note: I would unplug power supply from the wall outlet and then Remove the battery and jumper to clear CMOS or press and hold a button if so equiped for 15 seconds. If using jumper leave jumpered to Clear position for 3 mins. Reinstall the battery and make sure if using jumper to move back to "use" position. Boot and see if system clocks correctly now.

RGone....
Thanks for the reply i just found out my problem i had the slow mode switch on my motherboard turned on.:bang head

Well since you did not give us the most critical item in the system which was the motherboard, we could not begin to guess slow mode. Glad you sorted it by putting the switch back to normal use mode.

RGone...

Back