• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD FX-9370 Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I just completed a 45min g00gle search relating to FX-9xxx cpu cooling and NOwhere was anything but water cooling recommended and then almost always H100ish with many suggesting a full-on built loop.
RGone...

Took me all of 5 minutes to find this here. You'll enjoy this for reference.

AMD Offers Stock Watercooling for FX-9370, FX-9590 CPUs

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/piledriver-water-liquid-cooling-amd,24495.html

The new boxed SKUs are distinguished with a "WOF" on the end of the SKU number. Though we don't have any official information on the liquid cooler's technical specifications, it is currently available for pre-order at U.S. retailer Provantage.com with a $50 and $60 premium over the standard FX-9370 and FX-9590 SKUs, respectively.

From CPUWORLD http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2013/...and_FX-9590_CPUs_with_liquid_cooling_kit.html

. The first FX-9000 series processors were shipped in OEM PCs, and came with a liquid cooling, but the kit was not included in boxed FD9370FHHKWOF and FD9590FHHKWOF models. As a result, computers enthusiasts had to purchase third-party liquid cooling solutions to complement their expensive FX microprocessors. This may change soon, as AMD plans to sell FX-9000 series CPUs with a liquid kit included. Some US online stores, such as Provantage.com, already have new boxed FX CPUs available for pre-order:

Specs of the coolers are unclear right now. I'm searching to see if I can find a little info on the stock liquid cooler for these chips. Not entirely sure about the pre-order deal either. Looking at Provantage.com, I can't seem to find confirmation liquid cooling will come with, the cpu ending digits WOF, liquid cooling.

Not a surprise at all. AMD should have done this from the start.

EDIT:

NVM looks like we got them in america newegg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113352

L@@K Newegg canada!! stock liquid cooling kit.... there ya go OP all set up!!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113352

Hope these findings help future purchases.

EDIT 2:

Looks like the ending SKU should be WOX not WOF like described in above posted links. Can be looked over and ignored at this point.

Just because those coolers are water doesn't mean they're good coolers, just saying.

Just because those coolers are water doesn't mean they're good coolers, just saying.

No I was backing up RGones statement to NO ONE recommends air coolers for these chips..... Not even AMD.

Most any liquid cooler can be better than air. Simple as a push pull rad fan config.

From the looks of it, single 120 rad.

I still stand by the H110 I linked earlier with the 120.2 for 79.00.... the same price of the air coolers being suggested. Highly doubt there's an 80$ air cooler that can out perform a 120.2 rad IMO.

After doing a few more minutes of searching, I found the make and model of the cooler packed with AMD's 9 series chips.

Ready??

http://www.asetek.com/desktop/cpu-coolers/510lc.aspx

But look what they say bout' it!

Original performance liquid cooling, aggressively priced to compete with mid-range air coolers

Still better than air IMO. Just because you can dissipate the heat away from the cpu instead of dissipating it right in the case.....

Again, liquid cooling is recommended either way. No doubts bout' it.

Please look where the NH-D14 and PH-TC14PE are in this chart. There are over 280 heatsinks and only 7 of them beat these two coolers.

Please tell me more about how air is worse than water, the two most common water coolers are only better than these two air coolers by less than 1°C.

Please look where the NH-D14 and PH-TC14PE are in this chart. There are over 280 heatsinks and only 7 of them beat these two coolers.

Please tell me more about how air is worse than water, the two most common water coolers are only better than these two air coolers by less than 1°C.

Not sure we are debating the air cooling thing. At least I am not. I tested one of the top 3 or 4 air coolers in push pull and with them overclocked like we do with all cores on. 4.8Ghz was it for my FX-8350 that has gone over 5.4Ghz for benching on g00d water. And it was hot even with that huge Xigmatek Aegir on top of the cpu and two 98CFM fans running wide open during P95 Blend.

If the OP uses his FX-9370 as "designed" by AMD, he might get by with a very top of the line air cooler in push-pull with an awesome designed air flow thru the case itself. I might concede such with the "as designed" by AMD usage. But he is not going to be able to run his cpu or hardly so, like most of us do.

I did my air cooling thing as a lark in my 4.3Ghz flat-line thread the last couple of pages and I wanted to do some video editting last night and did not have my water on it so 4.8Ghz was sort of out of the question. 4.6Ghz was what I settled on. Of course the FX-8350 had all 8 cores humping to please and n0t like AMD designed that cpu or the FX-9xxx's to run.

Since we see so many users come in here ill prepared to do battle with the FX processor and especially so in the 8 core models, I had rather make my error on suggesting some heavy duty cooling rather than have a user want to begin an overclock and find he did n0t buy enough cooling.

In a real world reality, none of us really has to care what a user buys or how he runs it. They have paid their own money to do with as they please. That said, I suggest we try and be as to the point as we possibly can when we know darn well it takes a bunch of cool and a heck of a mobo to push the PEE out of these hot FX processors. Just my thinking. Sure anyone may think as they wish and also buy as they will.
RGone...

I would also like to add that the last 9370 we saw had a default voltage of 1.536v that's a lot of heat for any cooler to dissipate. I was very surprised to see it that high thinking that these "better" CPUs must be binned fairly closely. My default V-core is 1.5v to mee that's a huge difference when the CPU only "turbos" to 4.7 any decent 8350 will run 4.7G without nearly that much power. I have to admit I like my CPU but it's not that spectacular TBH. It's fussy and whiny and needs a lot of attention to make things work, the IMC in particular.

Wow, thank you everyone for the time you took to do searches and make your suggestions. I've still got some research to do but I have a few places to start now. I really appreciate it!

I returned it, too high vcore at stock settings to make an real OC'ing us of. Mine came bundled with a H100 CPU water cooler. I had this cooler on my FX8150 for awhile, but it's too skinny and even in push/pull it isn't suitable for much OC'ing. Air cooling would be out of the question unless your had 200~300 CFM of air blasting against the thing. Did that too, but way noisy. Best bet/price would have been what I returned, but you have to hope for one with decent P-States. For bleeding edge OC'ing, an excellent, high density 360 radiator in push/pull, with an excellent waterblock is the minimum. Even then OC'ing will no doubt be limited by CPU overheating.

So, any excellent air, or good water cooler might work, but not for OC'ing. If you intend on OC'ing, you need to go to a custom loop. That is a whole new post over in the water cooling section waiting to happen.

Good luck.

-Rodger

That will depend chip to chip, case to case, cooler to cooler.

Just like any FX chip though, it should be kept under 65C.

For motherboards, look at:
-Asus Crosshair V
-Asus Sabertooth
-ASRock Fatality
-ASRock 990FX Extreme9
-ASRock 990FX Extreme4

I would not put this CPU in an Extreme4. It's a good board, but the massive power draw would likely be to much for this thing. All the other boards listed I would agree with though.

Edit: Ireland, what are your plans for this Beast? If your going to run it at stock go with a top of the line air cooler(Phanteks PH-TC14PE, Noctua NH-D14 or BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro2 or Top AIO like h100i or h110.) if you have plans or wish to one day OC then you'd be best to go straight to a custom loop. Also keep in mind these air coolers are massive and will not fit in some applications.

Last edited:
I would not put this CPU in an Extreme4. It's a good board, but the massive power draw would likely be to much for this thing. All the other boards listed I would agree with though.

Edit: Ireland, what are your plans for this Beast? If your going to run it at stock go with a top of the line air cooler(Phanteks PH-TC14PE, Noctua NH-D14 or BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro2 or Top AIO like h100i or h110.) if you have plans or wish to one day OC then you'd be best to go straight to a custom loop. Also keep in mind these air coolers are massive and will not fit in some applications.

Just stock for now. I was thinking the Corsair Hydro Series H80i now if that one would be adequate for stock settings. I also don't have a ton of room to work with.

From my experience I had the TT extreme aAIO and it was adequate for decent clocks, it could handle up to about 1.5v and still be safe. But it's a dual rad 2x120 and I had 4 fans on it.
Check with some good reviews and your availability, they have done alot of reviews with the AIO coolers not hard to find if you search for it.

Would that liquid cooler be better than the Phanteks air one? Those are the two I know are available.

To be completely honest, I don't know which would be "better". Doing a comparative search comes up with ZERO results between the Phanteks and Corsair h80i. However if you would read between the lines a little I found these two comparisons.

This one compares the Phanteks to the Corsair h100i. (and some others)

and

This one compares the h80i to the h100i.

It appears to me the h80i and PC-TH14PE are roughly the same.

So the argument will be air or water. That's one argument I will stay away from as it gets as heated and the old Intel/AMD argument. Buy what you like/like what you buy.

The link I posted earlier to Frostytech has both units compared on an AMD platform. It shows the Phanteks at 0.7°C warmer than the H80i.

That said, the Phanteks will be much quieter than the H80i, and doesn't have a pump that likes to fail.

Back