• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Amd fx6300 overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mykweb

Evening all.

I own an amd fx 6300 with an msi 760gm p34 motherboard.

The motherboard has a feature to allow easy overclocking. If I run this utility in the bios I hit 3.8ghz.

If I disable the auto overclock and use the amd catalyst auto tune feature I can detect my processor and overclock 4.3ghz. If I run CPUz I can see the multiplier is 21.5 at 200 fsb with a voltage of 1.4 and a north ridge of 1.25

I then used these settings in the bios to manually set the values, saved them and rebooted the pc will not post. I have to clear the CMOS and try again.

Even setting the values at 3.8ghz I can't get the pc to post.

Any ideas?

Mike

"north ridge"? Er, that's "North bridge".

I would be interested to see what the bios "auto overclocking" feature and catalyst auto tune sets the RAM frequency to. Typically, those overclocking wizards give a good overclock to the CPU at the expense of the memory. Did you check the CPU-z "Memory" tab?

When you set bios parameters manually in bios you should disable the software overclock schemes you have mentioned using lest you have conflict between the two.

Did you do any stress testing (Prime95) to check for stability of those wizard overclocks?

If you are willing to rely only on manual controls in bios we are happy to help you learn the ropes.

Having said that, you should know that the motherboard you chose really is not up to overclocking a 6 core FX CPU. MSI does not build their boards with heavy duty power phase components and the company has a bad reputation with overclockers. Not to mention you chose a low end MSI board on top of that. However, it may be fine for running your CPU at stock frequencies and voltages.

Sorry for sounding so negative but just trying to give you a realistic picture.

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah I did type North Bridge but the Ipad did not like this lol.

With regards to the overclock. I did disable to Catalyst and the Bios over clock prior to manually tuning the settings.

The Motherboard I bought was just a recommendation from amazon last year when I decided to get back into PC gaming.

I normally use macs and have done for the last 6 years but some of the games I want to play require greater Graphics performance.

Do you think I would benefit from a better Motherboard before attempting the overclock or worth trying what I have at present?

Mike

Hey Mike...

...Mike let us get serious make that as deadly serious as possible if we might.
1. Need a full breakdown of your parts and pieces as accurately as possible like the template in my signature bottom of this post.

2. You say you went PC away from MaC for more video power. But we don't see video card shown. See #1 above.

3. We don't see what is cooling the Cpu. It makes a giant difference since RAW cpu speed lets FX processors 'try' to keep up with Intel rigs in gaming. 4.5Ghz would be my minimum cpu speed with FX-6300 and 4.8Ghz would be even better. There is a trend there and yes the board is key but easily as important is COOLING for the HoT FX type processor.

4. Sorry if that sounds too much ado about nothing, but here there are at least 4 or 5 of us that "do" FX processors. Some of us to a hit on the pocket book big time. Hehehe.

5. The two boards you linked the M5A99FX PRO V2.0 is likely good to about 4.5Ghz with GooD cooling. The Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 is good to as HigH as your cpu and cooling can go. The board will NoT be the issue. CooLing the processor will be the issue.

6. CooLing begins with a case to get cool air in and hot air out of the case.

7. Now you have to decide if an overclock of the cpu will bring anything to your gaming party.

Luck man.
RGone...ster.

Either one of those boards would be quite appropriate for overclocking the FX-6300.

As RGone said, the other vital ingredient to a good overclocking experience will be good cooling. You will want a high end air cooler like the big Phanteks or Noctuas or one of the better closed loop water kits to get the most out of your overclock. Also, good case ventilation is essential and you have told us nothing about your case. We need more information:

Power Supply (make model and wattage)
Case (make and model)
CPU Cooler make and model
Memory (brand, speed and amount)
Video Card (make and model)

Overclocking is frustrating unless you start with quality components from top to bottom.

Sorry When I posted this late last night I had one eye on the news in Scotland re the Independence debate.

Anyway my PC specs are

AMD FX 6300 Unlocked
NVidia GTX660 2GB Unlocked
8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3 1333
Corsair H60i Closed Loop Water Cooler with 2 x 120mm fans
AVP Cobra Case with 2 120mm Fans (Front and side) Space for another 2 fans
700W PSU (non Modular)
2 x Sandisk 256 SSD's

Current Motherboard MSI 760GM-P34

Planning on installing some Corsair SP120 Case Fans to replace the existing ones

Running Windows 7 64 Bit Professional

I mainly play Flight Simulator X on this PC. Its very reliant on CPU speeds. Hence I want to get my CPU as fast as I can to achieve better performance

Mike

I mainly play Flight Simulator X on this PC. Its very reliant on CPU speeds. Hence I want to get my CPU as fast as I can to achieve better performance
Mike

You said a large mouthful there "mike". I have a bud that was running that on FX-8350 @5.2Ghz and he said it played very well. Running two 760s in SLi hardly helped at all. Hehehe. It was all cpu performance.

Someone was in here a few months ago gearing up for FSX and I did some searching and without patches the game is so old it is only written for a single core cpu. I was made to understand it could be made to recognize more cores and speed of cpu is the best cure for more performance with FSX.

I think honestly I would get the Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 and then the board will not be the problem for sure. If you could get or have enough cooling you might even take that FX-6300 and disable one module of 2 cores and try to get up in the 4.8Ghz range and that will surely do good for the FSX game.

8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3 1333 << Some DDR3-1866 ram would help as well since the FX processors natively support DDR3-1866 one stick to each channel and many boards the Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 often will run all four sticks of DDR3-1866 if it is decent ram. Most of us go for G Skill stuff in here with good results.
RGone...ster.

What is the make and model of your PSU?

The Corsair H60i may hold you back because of high temps in your overclock.

Make sure you take advantage of your case's expandability fan wise. Good case ventilation is crucial to keeping temps down. Here's an illustration showing good case ventilation.

Attachments

• case ventilation.JPG
    case ventilation.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 1,802
Going to go start a new topic for this.
No need we can still work off of this thread.
Planning on installing some Corsair SP120 Case Fans to replace the existing ones
I wouldn'r spend the money they want for those fans TBH. You can get better for less.

Back