• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD phenom ii 1090T cpu OC help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

serrano786

so early last year i built a new computer just before the launch of RIFT and here are specs. can provide more if needed.

Cooler Master HAF Case
AMD phenom ii 1090T
Radeon HD 6970 2gb
G.Skill Ripjaw Series 3x 4gb DDR3
Cooler Master Hyper 212 CPU cooler

Now i mainly use the AI suite II for OC'n just cause i feel iffy about doing it through bios. Now with the auto OC, i can get it above 4ghz, but the system becomes unstable. Was just curious if there is way to OC with the system being stable with the suite or if i would actually have to go into bios for a more in depth OC. have some pics of its current setup with the suite.

I know i can get more out of my cpu with my setup, was just wanting a little help plz. Thanks for the time, and excuse the nubness of my inquiry.

Attachments

• cpu info.png
    cpu info.png
    73.6 KB · Views: 43
  • cpu.png
    cpu.png
    107.2 KB · Views: 43
You need to go into bios. The bios auto overclocking genies and the Windows overclocking utilities just don't manipulate enough variables to give you both a high and a stable overclock. It's really not that complicated when you have a black edition CPU like yours because the multiplier is upwardly unlocked.

But high processor core temps can also cause instability. Have you monitored your core temps with HWMonitor open while you are running a Prime95 blend test for 10-20 minutes?

You need to go into bios. The bios auto overclocking genies and the Windows overclocking utilities just don't manipulate enough variables to give you both a high and a stable overclock. It's really not that complicated when you have a black edition CPU like yours because the multiplier is upwardly unlocked.

But high processor core temps can also cause instability. Have you monitored your core temps with HWMonitor open while you are running a Prime95 blend test for 10-20 minutes?

i have ran it before and it was fine. currently its around 54 degrees C idle. gonna run again and post results

edit: so found the txt file with results. this with with old 233 cpu frequency auto-tune. running currently with auto-tune i just did at 241 cpu frequency and for past 10 minutes, temp has stayed at 54 degrees C

Attachments

• results.txt
    1.9 KB · Views: 38
  • prime.txt
    434 bytes · Views: 37
  • local.txt
    369 bytes · Views: 33
Last edited:
so, say i were to follow the NCIX OC youtube video, would it be safe to say that those settings for same cpu would be adequate for a decent OC, or is there another resource i should tap?

You are at about the limit for stability with your temps (if you are referring to core temps and not CPU (socket) temps).

What would be very helpful to us is if you would attach pics of CPU-z tabs: CPU, Memory and SPD. We prefer pics attached to the posts as opposed to links. To attach pics, first crop and save them to disc with something like Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories. Then click on Go Advanced at the bottom of any new post window which will cause the Advanced post window to pop up. Then click on the paperclip tool at the top which will cause the file browser/upload tool to pop up. The rest is obvious.

Last edited:
just went into bios and changed to 4.1ghz...crashed. lowered to about 4.0ghz had an error about 15 minutes in. gonna change to 3.9 to see if that is stable.

What load temperatures?

u mean what were temps with crashes? around 65 degrees if that is what you mean. just ran for about 30 minutes highest temp was 68 degrees, which is a little above max temp. ordered myself another 120mm fan for my hyper 212+. so hopefully will help with temps. gonna drop the frequency a bit more just to be safe until i get another fan.

edit: thanks for the info btw, pretty sure its a temp issue. tried to up DRAM freq to 1285, but wouldn't even boot, which was odd cause 1333 is max freq. so i dropped back down to 908. i'll just run around 3.7 until i get another fan to help with temps. thanks again for timely feedback.

edit edit: also, was reading about a push/pull fan setup...is that really more beneficial than the traditional push/push i guess?

Last edited:
Back