• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Phenom II B55 @ 4.00ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
agent run prime with HWmonitor open that will give a better indication of what the temps are like. The temp1 I believe is the socket temp and on my phenom my core always ran hotter then the socket. If that is the case then you are somewhere in the 50's on the cores.

Will do. I uninstalled it but Ill get it again.

agent, please don't capture a pic of the whole desktop like that. It makes the images so small you can't read the values, even when you click on the bar and make them a little bigger. I'm using a laptop right now and the screen is fairly small. Crop and save each individual one then upload each one. You can upload up to three with each post and then go back and add more if necessary.

Sure, no problemo. :)

Attachments

• CPUZCPU.png
    CPUZCPU.png
    36.1 KB · Views: 124
  • CPUZMem.png
    CPUZMem.png
    27.4 KB · Views: 120
  • AMDOD.png
    AMDOD.png
    35.3 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
agent, AMDOD's stress test is a wimp compared to the Prime95 blend. I wouldn't rely on it to confirm stability of your overclock. And certainly don't rely on AMDOD's voltage report. Look at the current CPU voltage it's reporting.

agent, AMDOD's stress test is a wimp compared to the Prime95 blend. I wouldn't rely on it to confirm stability of your overclock. And certainly don't rely on AMDOD's voltage report. Look at the current CPU voltage it's reporting.

Yep. Its reporting whats set in BIOS as opposed to actual voltage.

I think it's reporting the stock VID if that's what you mean. AMDOD seems not to correctly report some of the voltages once you begin to change them from stock.

So far so good. Had time to run an ~1.5hour test with p95 after an hour last night with AMD OD. Still some headroom on voltage but not much to keep in safe limits. All CPU multiplier, no HT Bus speed adjustments.

Attachments

• cpuz40.png
    cpuz40.png
    38.2 KB · Views: 105
  • voltages.png
    voltages.png
    34.3 KB · Views: 104
CPU temp is 87c! If that's a true reading you are past dangerously hot!

Before you unlocked the cores you should have gotten a read on the core temps and the differential between core temps and CPU (socket) temps because that differential stays constant after you unlock the cores. Then you could calculate the core temp by doing the math from the CPU temp. When you unlock cores you disable the core temp reporting function. If I were you I would jot down your overclock settings and go back and relock those cores temporarily to do that.

CPU temp is 87c! If that's a true reading you are past dangerously hot!

Before you unlocked the cores you should have gotten a read on the core temps and the differential between core temps and CPU (socket) temps because that differential stays constant after you unlock the cores. Then you could calculate the core temp by doing the math from the CPU temp. When you unlock cores you disable the core temp reporting function. If I were you I would jot down your overclock settings and go back and relock those cores temporarily to do that.

No, its not accurate. (conversely, AMDOD reports 13c, which isnt right either) Thats at idle and it runs about 32c. Not too big of a fan of CPUID Hardware monitor unless I just want to show my voltages.

Speedfan, Nvidia Sys Monitor, Windows Monitor all report same temps. Sure, its not actual CPU temp but socket temp, and Im good with that. (as long as I dont get too close to max!) If I didnt have any headroom in temps, Id worry but Ive got plenty still. Perhaps if I feel like fiddling around in BIOS again Ill do that.

And theres a good chance of that because now Id like to go for 4.2ghz. :attn: That will probably be a weekend project.

I would stop right now as that temp reported in HWmonitor will be the correct skt temp (it doesn't get skt temp wrong as its taken from the bios (a actual temp sensor on the skt) not worked out with software like a core temp/packet temp and there usually 10-12c hotter than the core so do the math, proceed at you're peril

Its wrong. I restart, BIOS and it says 36c. Its not cooling 51 degrees c in 35 seconds.

It's probably HWM not playing nice with AOD. I say that, because the min. temp for THRM is -102. If it throws a random reading like that, how is it so hard to believe that 87 is a false high? I had the same problem before I reformatted, except I would get temporary spikes to 120C.

Having said that, my course of action would be to run p95 again, watching the temps closely. If you actually see it spike like that, you can bet that it's just software glitches.

Its wrong. I restart, BIOS and it says 36c. Its not cooling 51 degrees c in 35 seconds.

You're damn right it can cool 51c in 30 seconds, it could cool that in 5 seconds, of you watch the temp when running p95 you will see how fast the temp drops once you stop the load, its verry rare to get a wrong skt temp reading, and as you can see the reading its giving you on idle is the same as the idle reading you're getting in the bios on idle. You can do what you like I don't really care.

Last edited:
I'm with Keny on this one. His whole system is hot check out the GPU readings. He wasn't even using it and it's sitting at 59 with a spike up to 80. :mad:

Agent,
I have used that same Processor and is still using. First thing you need to do is, dont make the assumption that the temp. readings are incorrect, they are correct.

Good news for you is, your Processor is still good as you have not ran it at 87 C for that long.
While i was stressing my II x2 555 after unlocking as II x4 B55, i was constantly getting 80+ socket temperatures. Once i changed CPU cooler to Hyper 212 plus, I never got above 40-45 socket temperature. Its been about 3 years I am running that same CPU as unlocked Phenom II x4 B55 overclocked to 3.8 GHz without any issues. Prime95 for 2 hours makes it hot upto 61 socket which is still safe.

And remember for those stock CPU coolers, Core temp is higher than Socket temp, so your cores should be 90 or above, that is dangerously High. If you get good aftermarket CPU cooler, cores will run about 7-10 C lower than socket temps.
I have used it, so i recommend you to get, Hyper 212 plus/evo as they are relatively cheaper and do great job to cool your CPU.

Good Luck.

Last edited:
kevin,

It's time you created a "Sig" so that your system info travels with every post you make. Take the components description from your post #1 and add it to your Sig.

Here is a copy and paste script I have developed to help you do that:

Please create a “Sig” so that your system information travels with every post you make. Component information listed in the body of a post early in a thread tends to get buried and lost as a thread gets longer. The “Sig” is a common courtesy to those entering the thread to help you. To create a “Sig”, click on Quick Links at the top of the page and then click on Create Signature. We like to see information about these components: CPU, CPU cooler make and model, RAM make and speed and amount, motherboard make and model, PSU make and wattage, video card make and model and last but not least, case make and model and information about the case fans (number of intake fans and exhaust fans and their sized, like 120 mm, 140 mm, 200 mm, etc.).

Agent,
I have used that same Processor and is still using. First thing you need to do is, dont make the assumption that the temp. readings are incorrect, they are correct.

Good news for you is, your Processor is still good as you have not ran it at 87 C for that long.
While i was stressing my II x2 555 after unlocking as II x4 B55, i was constantly getting 80+ socket temperatures. Once i changed CPU cooler to Hyper 212 plus, I never got above 40-45 socket temperature. Its been about 3 years I am running that same CPU as unlocked Phenom II x4 B55 overclocked to 3.8 GHz without any issues. Prime95 for 2 hours makes it hot upto 61 socket which is still safe.

And remember for those stock CPU coolers, Core temp is higher than Socket temp, so your cores should be 90 or above, that is dangerously High. If you get good aftermarket CPU cooler, cores will run about 7-10 C lower than socket temps.
I have used it, so i recommend you to get, Hyper 212 plus/evo as they are relatively cheaper and do great job to cool your CPU.

Good Luck.

Its not; it apperantly doesnt like AMDOD as suggested above.

However, I already have an H50 which may not be as good as a Hyper 212 but so far hasnt let me down. Ill have my specs in my sig next time i post. :)

kevin,

It's time you created a "Sig" so that your system info travels with every post you make. Take the components description from your post #1 and add it to your Sig.

Here is a copy and paste script I have developed to help you do that:

Please create a “Sig” so that your system information travels with every post you make. Component information listed in the body of a post early in a thread tends to get buried and lost as a thread gets longer. The “Sig” is a common courtesy to those entering the thread to help you. To create a “Sig”, click on Quick Links at the top of the page and then click on Create Signature. We like to see information about these components: CPU, CPU cooler make and model, RAM make and speed and amount, motherboard make and model, PSU make and wattage, video card make and model and last but not least, case make and model and information about the case fans (number of intake fans and exhaust fans and their sized, like 120 mm, 140 mm, 200 mm, etc.).

Will do good sir. :thup:

You can do what you like I don't really care.

Then feel free to stop 'helping' :p As suggested above, it was/is AMD OD not playing well with CPUID HW Monitor. Tone the ego down a bit; you're not always right about everything. Just look at the min temp. Its -102c. Do you really think it is accurate with a reading like that? Its certainly not -15f in my room right now.

So I never did get it fully stable at 4.0. I didnt want to keep pushing the voltage so for now I reverted to my allegedly stable 3.8 on HT Bus freq. I only need to bump vCore for that method of OC. I didnt see any gains in performance for Planetside 2 anyway, which was the main purpose of the overclock.

Im not done; thats for sure. Perhaps this weekend I'll take another crack at it. I never tried a combination of multiplier and bus speeds, so I still have much to try :D

agentkevin, that stuff below the line is not really what we have in mind when we talk about a Sig.

Its not; it apperantly doesnt like AMDOD as suggested above.

---------------

Then feel free to stop 'helping' :p As suggested above, it was/is AMD OD not playing well with CPUID HW Monitor. Tone the ego down a bit; you're not always right about everything. Just look at the min temp. Its -102c. Do you really think it is accurate with a reading like that? Its certainly not -15f in my room right now

Simple answer to this is uninstall AOD (its no good for making a stable overclock)and see how you're temps read then, if the temps are wrong or not, you are overclocking you're CPU blind on a mediocre cooler and that is asking for trouble, I'm not being egotistical here (as you seem to think I am) but CPU temps are one of if not thee most important if not thee most important aspect of gaining a stable overclock, and as it stands now you have no idea how hot you're running on the core.

BTW I am allways right :rofl:

If everyone tells you your CPU is overheating and is going to die at this temp, they might be some truth in it, no?

Your CPU can likely make 4GHz@+/-1.5v. But you're much too hot. You really need to keep the socket temp in the high 60's max (which means core temp in the low 50's).

One more thing with PhII is that the colder they run, the less vCore they need at a given frequency. With a better cooler you could hit a higher OC at the same vCore.

And a good cooler is somethin you'll keep from system to system, as the technology doesn't change as quickly as the rest.

Last edited:
So now that you have AMDOD uninstalled you should post HWmonitor with P95 running so we can see your current temps

agentkevin, that stuff below the line is not really what we have in mind when we talk about a Sig.

Thats not the sig; I made the line to separate quotes and replies. I literally just now did my signature :p

As someone mentioned a better cooler:

I think the H50 would cool better if the fan were mounted differently. As it is now it is on the top vents in a slot on my case, and there is a grate over it. (between the radiator and the fan, that is) I need to mount it directly to the bottom of the radiator with some zip ties or something. That alone should improve my cooling. I wont be buying a new cooler until I build an AM3+ socket rig so it may be a while. I built this one just in Nov 2011, so it not very old to me, though its older tech. I built it super cheap during the Newegg holiday sale :thup: At best it would be late summer, at worst probably summer of 2014. It handles everything I have thrown at it just fine outside of Planetside 2, which the general consensus is that the engine is terribly optimized. (Devs admit it too)

I'll get some screens up in the near future of P95 running and the temps :)

Back