• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Phenom II B55 @ 4.00ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes, your fan needs to be smack up against the radiator so it will produce as much air pressure as possible through the radiator. Pressure diminishes dramatically with distance and it also sounds like you have some sort of mesh or grate that is between the fan and the radiator that is blocking some of the air flow.

Yes, your fan needs to be smack up against the radiator so it will produce as much air pressure as possible through the radiator. Pressure diminishes dramatically with distance and it also sounds like you have some sort of mesh or grate that is between the fan and the radiator that is blocking some of the air flow.

Short day at work today so..

Fixed the cooling 'issue' by moving the fan to the bottom of the cooler blowing air up through the rad and out of the vents in the top. Rad is mounted to the bottom of the vents. previously the fan was on the top, sucking air through the mesh. CPU runs about 8c cooler now during gaming and other moderate tasks. Browsing interwebs and doing light duty stuff it runs 2c cooler than what it used to boot at.

Also flipped the front fan around as the HDDs in the bay were running too warm for my liking. HD0 runs a whopping 20c cooler now and HD1 runs about 14c cooler. Thats a major improvement.

Lastly, started using EVGA Precision X to control the GPU fan. It could hit the 70s before as it would never run over 40% fan speed on auto. I find 75% enough to keep it in the mid 50s during heavy gaming.

Will run P95 again in the near future to see how much difference the new fan setup makes.

That is how most really good setups are done. They are never really finished. Continued work brings on better results all the time. Sounds like you have a, "job getting well done".
Congrats man.
RGone...

It's funny how Nvidia and EVGA think it's ok to heat up your case to the high 70's with their video cards, all of which have a fan more than capable of keeping said card in the low 50's under load, isn't it?

It's funny how Nvidia and EVGA think it's ok to heat up your case to the high 70's with their video cards, all of which have a fan more than capable of keeping said card in the low 50's under load, isn't it?

All for that quiet video card that people rave over so much. Don't run the video card fan very high and let the heat be the responsibility of the case for removal. Blame shifting at its' best.
RGone...

All for that quiet video card that people rave over so much. Don't run the video card fan very high and let the heat be the responsibility of the case for removal. Blame shifting at its' best.
RGone...

Agreed.

I never understood why people complain about fan noise with gaming rigs. For one, you either have headphones on or are hooked up to a good 5.1 or 7.1 setup (as is the case for me) and wont be hearing the fans much anyway.

Toying around, the GPU idles at 54c with fan on auto. Cranking it up to 100% idles it at 42c. And theres honestly not a whole lot of noise difference from 75% to 30%, which is minimum. Theres literally no detectable noise difference from 30% to 50%.

Had I never downloaded Precision X, I would probably still be cooking my GPU at high 70s.

So I did a short burn on P95 today. I let it run until it hit maximum temp, then went back down. I then allowed it to run for a few more minutes to make sure it had hit max temp. I stopped it when it ceased to climb within 2 degrees of the max.

Highest it touched was 55c. Generally hung out around 52-53c. Literally, the moment I killed P95, it dropped to 41c.

P95Burn2.png

And heres my temps just after I finished the post and P95 run. GPU fan is at 75%.

Spdfan.png

Those hard drive temps really make me happy.

I don't know how long you actually ran Prime95 but it reaches within about 2c of the max temp it will reach during a much longer run. And passing 20 minutes is long enough to conclude that you aren't real far from being rock solid stable, probably only needing a small bump or two in CPU voltage to be really stable if it won't pass a 2 hr.+ Prime95 blend run.

So with with rain today I had some time to fiddle again.

Ran a 35 min burn of P95, no problems :D Still havent got to 4.0 stable but Im really close.

What worries me is the voltage. I dont want to bump it any more as it hit 1.57. She got a little warm too, but I ordered another fan to help pull on the other side of the H50 radiator, so Ill have one on the bottom side pushing air through and one on the top pulling it.

I didnt touch the memory clocks, outside of using the HT Link to get to 3.8ghz. I just bumped the multiplier to 16.5x and the voltage .05 more. Ill probably wait til I get the new fan until I go for 4.0 again and/or do a 2 hr run of P95.

Attachments

• HWM.png
    HWM.png
    27.5 KB · Views: 53
  • CPUZ.png
    CPUZ.png
    35.9 KB · Views: 47
  • mem.png
    mem.png
    25.8 KB · Views: 46
I may have got to 4.06 ghz stable. Yesterday I ran P95 for 1hr55min and she didnt crash. Today I bumped the voltage down a little to run the lowest voltage possible @ ~4.0 ghz. After I work that out, Ill start going up little by little and try to hit 4.5.

Yesterday's voltages were a tad high - 1.57 and spiked to 1.6 at one point. Today I have it down to 1.53v at max and 1.52v min. Temps look decent; after the new fan arrives should be even better. This is an hour into a P95 run.

Edit: I am amused that so far no one has mentioned Im using a 95w TDP board with a 160w max TDP listed on CPUz....

Attachments

• CPUZ3.png
    CPUZ3.png
    34.5 KB · Views: 37
  • HWID3.png
    HWID3.png
    28.6 KB · Views: 38
Back