• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Phenom II x4 960T (6 Cores)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
There's is ultimately something wrong with the way the core temps are being read(I don't mean to hijack this thread I'm just curious) so the math that you are using is 7c cooler than skt temp = core temp.but what if the core temp is reading 10c cooler than the actual temp, sorry to go on about this but I'm just trying to get some constructive answers to make my own assumption on where my own actual core temps are lying. Thanks Mark

I really apologise for this, but i am not lying, i dont have a reason to lie, if i do i will not be reporting good temps wich means that following the recomemndations may end up destroying ym CPU or something else and trust me i dont want that, i just wanna get the best i can from my rig.

Okay, go for the two hour Prime test now on stock speeds and voltages. Have HWMonitor open and report back with pics.

I left the prime online all night long cause i had to sleep, but i did not had Monitor online :( I will re do it now and keep a constant eye on temps

So, there was 7 C difference between CPU socket temp and core temp as a four core. So subtract that from the TMPIN1 when you're running as a six core to get a core temp estimate.

Keny, they are quite low but his CPU VCORE is only 1.3.

Chester, what is the room temp where your computer is? You're not doing these tests in an unheated room in the winter are you?

Not quite sure what do you mean, its a nicely heated room, what you would call cozy, not overheating nor underheated just plain normal

But its based on the socket temp and it would be odd if both are falsely low unless HWMonitor is not reporting correctly.

Chester, do you have a monitoring utility that came with the motherboard we could check HWMonitor socket temp readings against?
I have never really looked on the utilities that came with the mobo, i usually never do i rarely come across bloatware that does good job. Want me use another Temp checker? and if yes wich ones? tell me and i will be posting pics with them as well its no biggie :)

Here we are Temp Results from the 2 hour Benchmark

Btw the Prime Reported No errors and the self check were all passed whatever that means :D

One more thing i have to add the System withstanded 12 hours or so Prime the all night long i forgot to check temps :D, but i have ym machine on from yestarday we talked till now.

Attachments

• asdfasdf.PNG
    asdfasdf.PNG
    21.1 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Okay. Six cores is stable at stock settings. Let's overclock. Here's what I want you to do. Go into bios and make the following changes:

1. Put the "CPU Voltage Control" to "Manual" instead of "Auto" and set it to 1.4
2. Put the "CPU NB VID Control" to "Manual" and 1.25
3. Put the "DDR3 Voltage Control" to "Manual" and 1.55

Note: You may have to first put the "System Voltage" Control on "Manual" to be able to access any of the above controls.
4. Put the "CPU Clock Ratio" to 16x

Also, turn off Cool N Quiet and C1E (if you have it) and go into Windows Control Panel and make sure the Power Options are set to High Performance.

Run a 20 minute Prime test as before whith HWMonitor open. If TMPIN1 exceeds 65 C. discontinue the test.

Post back with pics of HWMonitor and CPU-z tabs: "CPU", "Memory" and "SPD".

Attachments

• Chester1.PNG
    Chester1.PNG
    55.6 KB · Views: 114
Will Do, Btw do you propose any changes to my following system, such as Cooler or Psu?

Let's see where your present parts take you. Your cooler and PSU are suspect. However, the cooler seems to give you great temps at stock voltages and frequencies. Now we've jacked the voltage on the CPU and the CPUNB up so we'll see if the cooler cuts it. Make sure you monitor those temps because at a CPU voltage of 1.4 I've given you that "jump start" I spoke of earlier based on my own experience with this CPU.

I'm looking at your Sig. Are you running 12 gb of memory and 3 sticks?

yes i do, 2 sticks of 2Gb each and 1 Stick of 4Gb

would you like links with specs of each?

Remove the one 4 gb stick. With an odd number of sticks you will be running your ram in Single Channel mode which will give you a significant performance penalty. Make sure the other two sticks are in same color slots on the motherboard right next to each other. Four gigs of memory is plenty for most ordinary computing.

Ignore that. Your motherboard is one of the newer ones that can run dual channel with odd numbers of sticks, apparently.

Yes, please give info about the memory make and model number and speed rating. You don't want to mix memory modules of different speeds and timings.

There you go:
I had one setback in my bios, it was not showing DDR3 Voltages, so i added 0.50 and it went up to 1.65 so i decided to leave it unchanged and when i logged to windows CPU was showing Voltages 1.50 :S

i am planning on buying another 4gb stick to have 4 sticks in total 2x2gbs and 2x4gbs, then it would be ok?

Attachments

• asddasd.PNG
    asddasd.PNG
    40.6 KB · Views: 114
  • asdf.PNG
    asdf.PNG
    24.1 KB · Views: 113
  • asdfs.PNG
    asdfs.PNG
    18.6 KB · Views: 113
  • slot 1.PNG
    slot 1.PNG
    45.3 KB · Views: 112
  • slot 3.PNG
    slot 3.PNG
    46.1 KB · Views: 113
  • slot 4.PNG
    slot 4.PNG
    44.7 KB · Views: 112
Don't add ".5"! Add .05

Are those memory sticks the same brand and speed? Your CPU-z pics only show slot 3 stick.

Yes the 2GB Sticks are IDentical. And on the same colour of Ram Slots.
The 4gb is alone, and i am planning on buying another 4GB Stick same as the other to Do Dual channel on 2x2GBs and 2x4GB

Yes the 2GB Sticks are IDentical. And on the same colour of Ram Slots.
The 4gb is alone, and i am planning on buying another 4GB Stick same as the other to Do Dual channel on 2x2GBs and 2x4GB

Sounds good but why do you need so much memory? Do you do CAD or Photoshop or video editing a lot? Those kinds of applications call for lots of memory but other kinds of things don't.

More sticks of memory and higher amounts of memory both put extra strain on the CPU integrated memory controller and can have a limiting effect in overclocking.

I am Multi Tasking alot, doing Photo edits, and creating minor websites, i play offen games on the pc while having open multiply things on my pc.

My job is mixed up, due to the lack of jobs here in greece everyone is doing what he cans, and well i am doing everything i can on my pc for a pay.
Video editing, Mods, softwares , photo editing Cd burns Games Dvds, sound system Tower buildings etc.
What i hate the most is that i am doing what i love (computers) for a pay, but i have to feed my family so yeah... thats what i do.

Well, then it sounds like you are one who can benefit from a lot of memory.

So, you are still running quite cool for your CPU temps so lets continue the overclock. Start increasing the CPU Clock Ratio by 1x and run 20 minute Prime tests after each increase. When you fail the test or encounter instability put it back to the previous stable multiplier. Report back with pics of HWMonitor and the three Cpu-z tabs at that time. Got to go to work now.

From Those Coolers wich one should i get:

http://www.plaisio.gr/Computers/Hardware/CPU-Coolers.htm?page=1

http://www.plaisio.gr/Computers/Hardware/CPU-Coolers.htm?page=2

http://www.multirama.gr/products/category?catid=020400&pg=1&ps=90&pa=-1

http://www.e-shop.gr/search_per.pht...ION%7C%7CFAN+GUARDS%7C%7CFAN+FILTERS&x=43&y=9

These are only selections i have in greece to buy. And my Budget is Rather tight
so please dont go V10 or something.

about 50 Euros (62 Bucks Tops) And something i can obtain in greece, cause shiping costs are !@#$.

Give selections i might be able to find then in another Store here somewere :D

http://www.multirama.gr/products/product?pid=0655401&catid=020400 This looks very nice Does it worth the efford? or is it just looks?

Last edited:
frm what i found was...

COOLERMASTER HYPER 612S <--- i like this one
COOLERMASTER HYPER 212 EVO
COOLERMASTER HYPER 412S

still raising multipliers, Reached x18 Stable atm heat is increasing about 2-3 C per multi
right now doing Bench for 18 and i will try 19 in one sec

If you are considering any tower-style cooler with a 120 mm fan realize that you will need a case at least 8" wide to accommodate the heigth.

my current CPU cooler is Akasha Evo 120, Wich is in the same heigh as a v8 maybe 1-2 cm smaller
My case is the HAF 932 Full Tower Style it can support the V8 and the V10 form CM so i think it wont be a problem

Back