• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Phenom II x4 960T (6 Cores)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
YAY Just finished Benchmarking the x18 Multi Jee that was alot of restarts, i will not try x19 cause i see the temps are just in the limit :D
Okay boss how do we procced from here?

Attachments

• cpu.PNG
    cpu.PNG
    22.8 KB · Views: 194
  • memory.PNG
    memory.PNG
    15.8 KB · Views: 165
  • slot 1.PNG
    slot 1.PNG
    28.9 KB · Views: 167
  • slot 3.PNG
    slot 3.PNG
    22 KB · Views: 167
  • slot 4.PNG
    slot 4.PNG
    22.3 KB · Views: 168
  • tempsPNG.PNG
    tempsPNG.PNG
    20.2 KB · Views: 167
"I don't know if this helps you at all, but these are power consumption numbers for "LOCKED(4 cores)", and "UNLOCKED(5 cores)"...
960t CPU "UNLOCKED" Power draw = 162 Watts at load 5 cores 4.045 GHZ overclocked
960t x4 "NOT UNLOCKED" Power draw = 135 Watts at load 4.045 GHZ overclocked
Specs
Asus 990FX Sabertooth
Phenom II 960t CPU @ 4.045 GHZ
8GB Corsair Dominator 1600 @1792 MHZ timings 7-8-7-21
750 watt Coorsair 750tx PSU 60 amp single rail
Clock
CPU 4.045 GHZ
CPU-VCORE @ 1.440 to 1.453 Volts
Multiplier x 18.0
Bus @ 224
CPU/NB @ 2696.8
RAM @ 1792 MHZ 1.66 volts

Phenom II 1100t x6 clocked to 4.2 GHZ @ 1.465 V. power draw = 159.6 Watts.
Ran tests both Locked and unlocked for the 960t and this is what you can most likely expect unlocking to 5 cores, I have no info for 6 cores because my 960t won't unlock the 6th core.
Tests were run on my Asus Saberttoh 990fx with Phenom II 960t, and an Asus Crosshair V with a Phenom II 1100t, and both sets of numbers are most likely "SPOT ON".
The 960t test was run both "LOCKED" at 4 cores, and "UNLOCKED" to 5 cores and the differances in power draw was compared, and calculated, not in my head mind you, but by Power benchmark/monitoring software... Better than guessing at this point.
Tested at V-CORE of 1.45 volts Load Line Calibration set to 110%.
Will test again "TOMMOROW" adjusting CPU V-CORE to 1.48 with Load Line Calibration bumped to 120%, and I suspect power draw to increase, and I may post detailed results for all of those wondering what to expect from unlocking to 5 cores.
"DISCLAIMER": Results will most likely be differant from Chip to Chip and Mobo. ALSO, these readings could be totally wrong, but this is the best anything "ANYWHERE" that I could find would read..
What do you guys think..?? Should people be worried about 1000MHZ overclock possibly juicing up to 162 watts..?? TDP anyone?

That was WAY to techie for me, all i got from that was that my power consuption is Way to high, since its 174 wats correct?
And btw i dont know how to decrease the Watts consuption from my CPU all i can think of is Relocking the cores. Before unlock it was something 116 Wats so i am guessing arround 30 Extra wats per core roughly?

You have the ability to clock the snot out of a Phenom II 960t fairly safe not unlocking it to 6 cores form a 4 core... When you unlock the extra cores or core, power consumption jumps as expected.. On a motherboard rated at 140 watts TDP, running a CPU above 140watts of power consumption, leads to increased heat, and possiblitity of VRM damage to Mosfets and Capacitors if they are not cooled properly..
If your Motherboard is only rated to 95 watts CPU, or 95 watts TDP, then "DO NOT UNLOCK" your CPU.
Phenom II 960t overclocked at stock cores will use around 135 watts = Pretty Safe.
Phenom II 960t "UNLOCKED" to 5 or six cores uses between 162 and 171 or higher Watts.
Do the math, if your motherboard does not have proper cooling, 20 to 30 watts above TDP could be bad... I'm just saying, be careful.
I just had a friend buy the 960t, he then overclocked it, unlocked it, and then "SMOKED" his motherboard, he bought the GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ to replace his crappy MSI micro ATX mobo that was only rated at 95 watts TDP.

I looked it up, and quite a few people say this about unlocking cores/overclocking..
"Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H (4+1 phases/max TDP 125W) and it is said that I shouldn't overclock on this board with a 125W cpu"..
With that said, once you unlock your CPU to use the extra cores, you will go FAR Beyond what your board is rated for...
If your board was rated to 140 TDP... you would be ok, but unless revision 1.3 is 140 watt TDP, then I wouldn't unlock, and I would keep an eye on overclocking the 960t from it's stock 95 watt specs... My 960t pulls 135 watts at stock overclocked to 4.045 GHZ.
960t 4 cores stock uses 107 to 135 watts depending on the overclock.
960t with cores unlocked uses between 162 and 171 or more watts depending on your overclock.
As I said my friend just smoked his MSI Micro Atx motherboard unlocking cores on a 960t.

So practically you are saying to relock the core in order not to fry my mobo from overwatting it, and stick with Overcloking my brains off with 4 cores?

I was under the impression that OC 6 cores at 3.6, 3.8 GHZ is better than 4 cores OC to 4GHz.

Basically I'm saying that unlocking cores will use a "CONSIDERABLE" amount more power, and could smoke your VRM (mosfets & capacitors)... If your board is only rated to 125 watt CPUs, and you unlock your CPU, and it pulls 162 watts, then it's likely you will damaged your motherboard, even with decent cooling... You have 4+1 phase control, and a TDP of 125 watts correct..?? I wouldn't unlock it to 6 cores, I would leave it at 4 cores if it was my rig...

Hmm my mobo CPU support list shows it supports the Phenom II X4 965 wich uses 155Wats power is 30 Wats i use Really that much to be considered?

Oke update Mobo Manufacturer says it Supports 4+1 Phase and 140Watt CPUS.
Plus it supports Phenom II X4 965 wich requires 155Wats to function.

If my CPU unlocked cores can fry my Mobo tell me now cause i dont wanna have any nasty surprises.

Does your motherboard have a heatsink on the VRM? thats going to be just to the left of your CPU socket.

Does your motherboard have a heatsink on the VRM? thats going to be just to the left of your CPU socket.

Sec my Mobo is full of heatsinks and Heat Pipes
let me give you a Pic....

There thats my mobo, you guys decide

if i fry my mobo i will be out of job, and if i am out of job i wont be able to get new money to replace my mobo, wich well.... kinda sucks

Attachments

• 3093.jpg
    3093.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 164
It should be fine, tune for efficiency not max clockspeed. If your at 18x multi now I would leave it. If your really worried about it you can put heatsinks on those mosfets. A simple pack of stick on ramsinks should run you $10-15.

Your Mosfets have NO HEATSINK on them or near them, you have a Micro ATX Motherboard that I have read quite a "BAD" few reviews about overclocking and unlocking cores...
You can overclock it at 4 cores, but I would definately "NOT" unlock the 5th and 6th cores. My friend bought the 960t after he saw what I could do with it, but he "SMOKED" his "MSI" motherboard in the process, he unlocked it, and after about 10 minutes..."POOF".
I tested the 960t for a while until I stumbled on to something that gave me what appears to be accurate power consumption readings... I will put money on your mobo going up in smoke if you unlock the extra cores... I already watched it happen.
960t unlocked to 5 cores pulled between 162 - 171 watts at load clocked to 4.045 GHZ @ 1.47 to 1.4875 Volts.
960t 4 cores pulled 135 watts at load clocked to 4.045 GHZ @1.45 volts
Phenom II 960t "4 CORES" Core Clock: 4.045 GHZ
V-CORE @ 1.45 to 1.46 Volts
Multiplier: 18
Bus: 224
HT: 2247.5
Memory Corsair Dominator 1600MHZ: Clocked to 1800MHZ @1.66 Volts timings 7-9-7-21
VDDR Voltage: 1.2
VDDA Voltage: 2.5
NB HT Voltage: 1.21
SB Voltage: 1.1
NB 1.8V Voltage: 1.81
CPU Load Line Calibration set to 110%
CPU/NB LLC set to 110%
C1E Support: Disabled
Cool & Quiet: Disabled
Turbe Core Function: Disabled
I'm running an Asus Sabertooth 990FX Mobo with these settings, I have great Temps, i'm below TDP, and i'm "ROCK SOLID" stable at these settings. CoolerMaster Hyper N520 CPU cooler is doing a better job on this 960t than it did on my Phenom II 965 clocked to 3.875 GHZ. If you want to run the Phenom II 960t with any unlocked cores I would suggest spending the extra cash on a higher end motherboard with (8+2) phase power that has large heatsinks on you Mosfets... They are "LEFT" of your CPU socket... $189.00 on a 990FX isn't a bad investment, just stay away from "ANY" MSI motherboards, I have seen multiple examples of failure on multiple models of MSI lately... I would reccomend Asus over most brands of motherboards...
My Asus M2N-32 Deluxe 590 SLI,.. Asus M3N-HT Deluxe 780a triple SLI,.. Asus M4N98TD EVO 980a SLI,.. Asus Sabertooth 990FX, are all still running since 2007, 2008-09, 2010, 2011. Not one of them has died yet.

i have my cpu unlocked here and a couple of days i would say arround week.
I was messign with Multipliers and running excesive tests alla day (i havent closed pc much in that week Apart from restarts)

do you still think i should be worriyng about my wattage?

keeping my Cpu almost Constantly on Full throttle meaning Full Wattage consuption.

Definitely sink those fets.

When unsinked fets started coming out with OC features enabled back in the phenom I era, there were a few people that burned up the FETS, even with sinks mounted.

A small OC OR unlocking to 6 core should be fine though.

Both however is a no no.

Most likely you will see more benefit from being an OCed quad, unless you are running lots of multithreaded apps 24/7, then do the unlock.

If you are worried about your job, then I would proceed with alittle caution...
I can't say that you will definately fry your motherboard tonight, tommorow or the next day, but just when you think everything is ok, and you stop monitoring your temps the worst can happen. The point I was trying to get across is that your board doesn't have the specs to run "unlocked', and "overclocked"... You could very well get lucky, I know someone who didn't personally. I just wouldn't want to you to risk your job over it.

yeah i will stick with Quad Overclocked, i had a nerval shakedown now, THANK YOU
i will stick to OCing My Cpu quad, so any sugestion on what to do?
I also wanna OC the Rams if possible and the GPU. i wanna squeeze as much as possible from my rig without risking components.

Back