• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD PHENOM X2 550,3100 MHZ [OVERCLOCK]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ion_ftw

Registered
hello every1,
just registered account on overclockers after looking on you guys doing a amazing job.i had a small question regarding my amd cpu
so my current machine is
processor :amd phenom x2 550 3.1 ghz
mobo: gigabyte m61pme-s2p
2 gb ram (800 mhz)
and a 4250hd sapphire 1 gb card
recently i though of upgrading my gpu,and heard that amd processors can be overclocked to 4 cores for better performance,
so i just had to know,do i need to upgrade my mobo as well? ofc for overclocking.
im planning to buy sapphire 6850 gfx card.
and my budget is 400$ for machine(ofc i hav to buy new power supply,a branded 1)
and if no,then how can i overclock this x2 to x4.
thanks. :)

It looks like you're mobo doesn't support any of the phenom ii 125w processors, which will be what you're processor will bu sucking up if you manage to unlock it, that's not to say that you can't do it in you're board but just a word of caution really as there are no heatsinks on the mosfets and a unlocked quad will suck a lot of juice making them get pretty hot. If you decide you want to go for it anyway, you should have a "advanced clock calibration" or acc in youre bios just turn the options in the submenu to auto and reboot, if it unlocks and boots fine then you must stress test it with prime 95 for atleast an hour to make sure the extra cores you have unlocked are viable, if it passes an hour then you're good to go

You used the terminology, "overclocked to 4 cores" when you should have said, "unlocked to 4 cores". Unlocking and overclocking are two different processes. Overclocking refers to speeding up the frequency of the CPU.

Thanks keny and trents
And apology for using wrong termology. What i meant by was unlocking.
So guys. Is there any other mobo out there who supports quad processor? I want 1 wid crossfirex support so yea i'll change it.

Lots of motherboards support the quad cores. You need to plan on spending around $80 to $100 dollars to get a board with good heavy duty power circuitry that will stand up to a 125W TDP CPU, especially if you plan to overclock it.

Thank u guys. I'll spend 100-120$ to buy a mobo as well.

Let us know which boards you're looking at and we can advise you. Not all boards in the same dollar class are created equal. Stick with Asus, Gigabye or ASRock. Don't go MSI, ECS or Foxconn. Biostar makes some good boards but also some bad ones.

so my build will be
ASUS M5A97
Sapphire AMD/ATI Radeon HD 6850 1 GB GDDR5 Graphics Card
8 gb ddr3 corsair vegeance
a 550 watt psu. :)
phenom x2 550 (will overclock)
so watcha guys say?

Just wondering why you are going with an a PII X2 550 when for a few dollars more (at least here in the US) you could get a high end PII X4? There is no guarantee that the X2 550 will have two viable cores to unlock. Not a sure thing by any means.

Just wondering why you are going with an a PII X2 550 when for a few dollars more (at least here in the US) you could get a high end PII X4? There is no guarantee that the X2 550 will have two viable cores to unlock. Not a sure thing by any means.
He already has it? :eh?:

thanks guys!. for all the help.will post as soon as i assemble my new rig,
have to visit new delhi,because cant buy stuff local so it might take 1 or 2 weeks.
and this mobo supports fx series.so if phenom deal didnt work,i will buy the fx 8250(the 1 wid 8 cores and 16 mb cache? )though its like 200$ :\ but worth it.

and i doesnt understand why people go for i5,it costs like 250$ (i5 2500k) has 4 cores and lower cache with fancy names like "hyper thread" technology.
for god sake u can get almost 8 cores and a TIN box if u know what im talking about.

and i doesnt understand why people go for i5,it costs like 250$ (i5 2500k) has 4 cores and lower cache with fancy names like "hyper thread" technology.
for god sake u can get almost 8 cores and a TIN box if u know what im talking about.
The 2500K doesn't have hyperthreading... :shrug:
The 2500K is much better (15-20%, so 100 FPS vs 80 FPS) in most games, and is up to 40-80% faster in single thread depending on the program. They also OC a little bit better.
My local store sells 2500Ks for $160, $185 after tax. Newegg price is $220 now, was previously $210.

Just a few months ago, an FX-8150 was $270, 8120 was $230...that is absolutely horrible considering that the FX-8150 loses to a 2500K by a large margin (even sometimes losing to Phenom II with less cores, power consumption and clock) in many tests and games.

I suggest anyone that wants to build AMD now wait for Piledriver in late Q3, and hold themselves over with a cheap Phenom II/Athlon II, otherwise there is no reason to build AMD at all. For a gaming rig, the i3 2100 can spank a stock FX-8150...

The 2500K doesn't have hyperthreading... :shrug:
The 2500K is much better (15-20%, so 100 FPS vs 80 FPS) in most games, and is up to 40-80% faster in single thread depending on the program. They also OC a little bit better.
My local store sells 2500Ks for $160, $185 after tax. Newegg price is $220 now, was previously $210.

Just a few months ago, an FX-8150 was $270, 8120 was $230...that is absolutely horrible considering that the FX-8150 loses to a 2500K by a large margin (even sometimes losing to Phenom II with less cores, power consumption and clock) in many tests and games.

I suggest anyone that wants to build AMD now wait for Piledriver in late Q3, and hold themselves over with a cheap Phenom II/Athlon II, otherwise there is no reason to build AMD at all. For a gaming rig, the i3 2100 can spank a stock FX-8150...

thanks man,so in simple words,1 core of i5 is better than 1 core of fx.
and fx sucks while comparing it with i5 for gaming.

It doesn't use the word "only". At the time that info was published in CPU World the AM3+ boards may not have been on the market yet.

Check the CPU support list for this AM3+ motherboard and you will see your CPU is supported.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/M5A97/#CPUS

Do the same for other AM3+ boards if you like and I think you will find your CPU is supported. By the way, the Asus board I referenced would be an excellent choice for both unlocking and overclocking that CPU.

Back