• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD prices drops cross the board

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
They have anounced a July 23 launch and early and I'm guessing that the retail gouging might be over by early August ;)

NV has always had problems producing chipsets for Intel systems that didn't suck the overclock out of your CPU and Ram.. That would be the asumed problem with the 590 untill we see some results that prove otherwise.

Check the Intel section for Intel info :)
Sorry for raising quetions here with my posts everybody :(

greenmaji said:
They have anounced a July 23 launch and early and I'm guessing that the retail gouging might be over by early August ;)

NV has always had problems producing chipsets for Intel systems that didn't suck the overclock out of your CPU and Ram.. That would be the asumed problem with the 590 untill we see some results that prove otherwise.

Check the Intel section for Intel info :)
Sorry for raising quetions here with my posts everybody :(

July 23rd is just a release date. No cpu has ever gone on sale the exact release date. Because of the huge demand for this chip there may actually be a shortage :shrug:

KillrBuckeye said:
The major problem for the socket 939 users like me is that going Conroe will require investment in no less than a CPU/mobo/memory combo. For a decent overclocking setup, you're probably looking at $500+. If it turns out that I can grab an X2 3800+ for ~$170, it just seems like a much more practical upgrade. I have yet to play a game that my single-core 939 machine can't handle with ease, so I'm really wondering what I'd be gaining with an expensive Conroe setup. I'm not really into benching.

gain nothing at this time stick with what you have

Krowa 02 said:
July 23rd is just a release date. No cpu has ever gone on sale the exact release date. Because of the huge demand for this chip there may actually be a shortage :shrug:

I seem to rember pressler and cedarmills being e-tailed within 2 days of release date and the only shortage was retailers not stocking enough (seemed they were afraid they wouldnt sell)
Intel makes LOTS of processors ;)

greenmaji said:
I seem to rember pressler and cedarmills being e-tailed within 2 days of release date and the only shortage was retailers not stocking enough (seemed they were afraid they wouldnt sell)
Intel makes LOTS of processors ;)

They do, but this is a totally new architecture. Intel is going to be offering these to oems first, so dell hp and all those wonderful companies will be snatching up as many as they want before the rest get shipped to retailers such as newegg.

u wont really see a difference in dual to single unless you are doing some heavy operation like encoding or benchmarking. i have an opty 170 and although the benchmarks show that its superior to my former 3.2EE Intel I dont really see a big difference in everyday operation. The biggest difference I see is that it consumes less power and opening up a few programs at the same time is a little faster...

You dont see a real gain unless u use top of the line hardrives and video cards and ram . Using outdated hard drive and vid card and cheap ram is bottlenecking the processor. I dont even think the current top of the line commercially available computer hardware is even sufficient enough to fully take advantage of the dual core setup...

I tell you this cause if you use old hardware you will be dissapointed that the comp is just slightly better than the one you had set up....

Production problems is a rumor, they have more then enough capasity, been fabing them for over a quarter, and have at least one fab. that I know of at full capasity.. Intel doesnt have production problems (look up there last quartly report if your intrested)

greenmaji said:
Production problems is a rumor, they have more then enough capasity, been fabing them for over a quarter, and have at least one fab. that I know of at full capasity.. Intel doesnt have production problems (look up there last quartly report if your intrested)
I have to agree on both companies behalves. Rumors are running rampant about everything all the time. Few of us have any idea what it takes to turn out CPUs. When you are talking about the quality we see in todays chips, I would say they are having very little problems. I thinl if you compare them to automakers you may find that chip fabs are far superior. This does'nt mean that production runs don't get trashed or delays don't happen (stuff happens). I've been watching the Quarterlies on AMD and I would say that almost all of their schedules have been met. What you are seeing now is a market adjustment. What is true is that Intel has more fabs than AMD and more capital to run them but AMD is definitely a strong competitor. Another way to look at it is that we are buying up chips as fast as they can make them which is a good thing. This also leaves them having to resupply the 90nm process while they are working out the 65nm process getting ready for next year. I say grab the best chip you can find, OC the **** out of it and Game On!

FlahsMemory said:
u wont really see a difference in dual to single unless you are doing some heavy operation like encoding or benchmarking. i have an opty 170 and although the benchmarks show that its superior to my former 3.2EE Intel I dont really see a big difference in everyday operation. The biggest difference I see is that it consumes less power and opening up a few programs at the same time is a little faster...

You dont see a real gain unless u use top of the line hardrives and video cards and ram . Using outdated hard drive and vid card and cheap ram is bottlenecking the processor. I dont even think the current top of the line commercially available computer hardware is even sufficient enough to fully take advantage of the dual core setup...

I tell you this cause if you use old hardware you will be dissapointed that the comp is just slightly better than the one you had set up....

Yes that is why before I upgrade from my processor I will be looking into a new hardrive. For some reason I seem to have left that one out of the last 3 upgrades ....:shrug:

does anyone know if dual core opteron prices are dropping like this as well?
it would be awsome to pick up an opteron 165 for $145.

jediman said:
does anyone know if dual core opteron prices are dropping like this as well?
it would be awsome to pick up an opteron 165 for $145.
Nobody knows at this point, but I'd say it's doubtful considering that even the desktop cores with 1 MB of cache probably won't be reduced in price.

I can get the 3800's now at the new prices.... wonder why newegg hasn't updated yet

For me to change to an AM2 or Conroe right now would be prohibitively expensive - New Board, New Memory, New CPU - so instead, i'll be taking advantage of the price drops and getting either an X2 3800+ or an Opteron 170 (even second hand will do).

fordsierra4x4 said:
For me to change to an AM2 or Conroe right now would be prohibitively expensive - New Board, New Memory, New CPU - so instead, i'll be taking advantage of the price drops and getting either an X2 3800+ or an Opteron 170 (even second hand will do).

Good choice! DDR prices are dropping fast, so you should be able to snag some killer TCCD or used BH5. If I were in your position, I would stick with NF4/DDR for as long as possible. A DC X2 or an Opty is an excellent and cost effective upgrade path :thup:

Super Nade said:
Good choice! DDR prices are dropping fast, so you should be able to snag some killer TCCD or used BH5.
They are? :confused: Seems to me that DDR1 prices bottomed out over a year ago when you could pick up a 1 GB dual channel kit for $70 shipped. Now it's amazing if you can find a kit like this for less than $80 shipped. I know because I've been looking to pick up some cheap stuff to build another 939 rig. DDR2 is less expensive at this point, and I don't see DDR1 dropping in price much more because supplies will be diminishing.

Well i can get 2gb of Corsair PC3200 CAS 2-3-4-6 for 135 quid, and it was about 180 quid when i went PCI express back in January.

Theres nothing 'wrong' with Socket 939 - simply because all my stuff runs fine on it - FEAR and Quake 4 are fine, and okay, by next year the stuff i'll have will be midrange, but it'll still work for me, and do everything that I want. I'm nowhere near as much of a gamer as i once was, and since dropping out of Uni and having to search for a job - an upgrade beyond whats neccessary can wait a while.

I'd rather wait until the AM2/K8L refresh and after the Conroe's have been out a while to make a choice.

So far, my priorities are:

1) Go Dual Core (Opteron 170 preferred, but X2 3800+ will do)
2) Go from 1gb to 2gb mem
3) Get a pair of T7K250's to replace the ageing S7K80's i'm using in my RAID array

Ironically, the list goes from most expensive at the top to the least expensive at the bottom :D

Prices of the X2 3800+ have dropped a little bit to just over 200 quid for a boxed one. Cant find anywhere that sells a tray version though. Opterons though are impossible to find - or are out of stock :eek:

Back