• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD prices drops cross the board

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I am all for going AM2 now as long as the K8L will run on the current AM2 boards.... I wanted to build a conroe system, but im starting to realize that if I wanted the best possible system im going to have to buy the 4mb cache version which costs 300+ for just the cpu!

I just want to see benches between the X2 3800+ and the lower end conroes since im not a heavy overclocker. Lower price = where I am at since I have learned that at one point you reach a plateu with performance so I really wont see any big difference in the stuff that I do with my pc anyway.

I would be conserned with a high FSB motherboard and as high multi processor as possible if going cheap with a core2 system not nessarily 4M cache.

killermiller said:
Why wouldn't they? Many, if not most, wouldn't even know that there was going to be a drop if it wasn't for the forums. Also, I doubt that the savings that we are anticipating are not going to be immidiate, as the retailers will have to sell their current stock of higher priced CPU's.
I agree

greenmaji said:
I would be conserned with a high FSB motherboard and as high multi processor as possible if going cheap with a core2 system not nessarily 4M cache.

That works I guess, but I dont wanna have to deal with overclocking to much. I just dont have any need to drive my system to high levels like I once did when I was 16 and loved to push it to the limit :cool:

Mr.Guvernment said:
BUt why make a dual socket AM2 ? that will cut off sales of opterons ? or vice versa ......

hence why Intel doesnt make dual socket P4's or what ever..... they have to have something to keep their "server" end seperate from their desktop end.
Check this thread over at 2CPU.com
http://forums.2cpu.com/showthread.php?t=75635
They are saying there will be dual socket AM2. Expensive yes but it should be OC friendly.
IIRC it's called 4x4 with 4 CPU cores and 4 GPU cores.

killermiller said:
Why wouldn't they? Many, if not most, wouldn't even know that there was going to be a drop if it wasn't for the forums. Also, I doubt that the savings that we are anticipating are not going to be immidiate, as the retailers will have to sell their current stock of higher priced CPU's.
I am not sure who said it, but the prices seem lower already on the a64's

:rolleyes: Excues me while I eat my words

in case noone read the link that Rattle posted:

Not to the surprise of DailyTech, AMD representatives are telling its CPU distributors to play down 2x1MB L2 cache Windsor processor sales in favor of the 2x512KB AM2 parts. Several days ago, DailyTech published the entire AMD July 24th pricing guide complete with price cuts across the board. The price list was surprisingly devoid of AMD 2x1MB cache CPUs, and today we know the reason why.

Several US distributors all confirmed the same story with DailyTech, either claiming either a lack of information about the 2x1MB AM2 parts or claiming AMD employees were told to disregard 2x1MB cache desktop parts for the time being.

2x1mb cache chips are being phased out on the desktop apparently..

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=2858

X2's and the FX's still remain the original prices. Semprons, 3800's and below are about $10 more then what the sheet says on the first page of this thread

All I know, is that this can only be a good thing for us as consumers. Some people can now afford to get higher end CPU's at more reasonable prices, which they might not have been able to afford before. :drool:

Rattle said:
here;s more amd wisdom for you and another reason why to just overlook am2 at least till 65nm appears

I think that your exactly right, BUT not for the same reasons (or mabye they are, im not you so i can't tell :D )

ok well from what ive seen AM2 is meant to be the next socket A. that means thier intention is to use it for as many procs as possible. So by getting it out this early they are putting somthing up against the conroe roomers (which they were at the time). So a few went out a bought them, but the procs are just 939 procs with ddr2 mem controllers, hence no gain in perfomance. I see the 65nm chips as the first real AM2 chips that will be produced, so one would hope we will start to see performance increases from there. As 939 boards are the same in performance then no one will change. the only advantage will be to upgrade to ddr2 etc so when the 65nm chips come out you can just buy one of them and drop it in.

It is good to see AMD drop thier prices, so long as they don't go bust! haha that would suck, could you imagine a market monopolized by 1 manufacturer (that gose either way, but as if intel could ever go bust......)

nuff ranting by me! gl to ya all, i just bought a 146. im almost always 1 seris behind. upgraadeing from socket A :p

I thought AMD was going to a new socket in the near future.. what about socket F :shrug:

And getting the first socket A boards and sticking with them would have sucked the chipsets get better :D

as far as im aware socket F is the new server socket.

and yes you are right about the early socket A boards. It would be safe to assume the same thing will happen in this situation too.

fordsierra4x4 said:
Question - Why wont AMD release the 4000+ X2 for 939 as well? Surely it'd sell...

I'd say they are probably trying to clear as much 939 inventory as possible. All indications are that am2 production will get a major ramp up over the next year. My guess is that this paves the way for easy integration to k8L fabs.

I was so darn happy when i heard this news, this means i actually have a really solid choice between AMD and "the other company's" dual core chips now. I think that an intelligent consumer will look toward the future of the socket and the architecture behind it. In particular i see a major battle on the horizon over IMC's. A great reason for picking up a 4200X2 in a month or so (whenever the prices actually drop) will be to get on board a socket that will be more than just the raw cpu power. The industry is trending toward increasing parallel computing, and right now i see AMD well placed to control the market in that manner.

Point being: This price drop puts all of the power in the consumers hands. It takes us back to the days of cheap AMD chips. I don't know about the rest of you, but this news put a huge grin on my face :clap:

edit- btw, as a bit of an dark side guy myself, i'd like to apologize for the behavior of some of the other members. Most of us are just really happy to have something to look forward to. The last few years have been kinda tough for us, so we're all a bit excited. As far as the fanatical fanboy threadjacking goes, be like me and just ignore it. These guys have 2 tons of ego and 10 grams of substance. Cmon, what respectable person gets into a scuffle over a piece of silicon smaller than the width of a hair.

Last edited:
If you read the front page of overclockers.com, you'll see that only the 512kb cache processors are going on sale. The 1Mb cache chips are remainig high.

So it looks like AMD thinks stupid customers will pay extra for the bigger epenus/larger cache or they just want to clear out the 512 invetory. Maybe both.

I know if the Conre meets or beats AM2 or SocketF for the same or less price, I'll not be getting an AMD dual core. I might get the 3800 X2 if it's cheap enough but if the equivelant Conroe is ceaper....

Audioaficionado said:
I know if the Conre meets or beats AM2 or SocketF for the same or less price, I'll not be getting an AMD dual core. I might get the 3800 X2 if it's cheap enough but if the equivelant Conroe is ceaper....

Currently thats my view, im aiming at a low end conroe, however if it makes more sense to spend on a 3800+ with the price cuts ill do that. The only reason why I want to go AM2 is because ill have the option to upgrade to a K8L. After building several AMD comps I switched to intel and it just felt much more stable for some weird reason:shrug:. However With my desktop is wish I stayed away from this p4... on the other hand the cpu inside my laptop is insane which is why im looking at a conroe.

I might just end up tossing a coin, but I cant help it, the amd inside me is hungry :temper:

Krowa 02 said:
Currently thats my view, im aiming at a low end conroe, however if it makes more sense to spend on a 3800+ with the price cuts ill do that. The only reason why I want to go AM2 is because ill have the option to upgrade to a K8L. After building several AMD comps I switched to intel and it just felt much more stable for some weird reason:shrug:. However With my desktop is wish I stayed away from this p4... on the other hand the cpu inside my laptop is insane which is why im looking at a conroe.

I might just end up tossing a coin, but I cant help it, the amd inside me is hungry :temper:
The major problem for the socket 939 users like me is that going Conroe will require investment in no less than a CPU/mobo/memory combo. For a decent overclocking setup, you're probably looking at $500+. If it turns out that I can grab an X2 3800+ for ~$170, it just seems like a much more practical upgrade. I have yet to play a game that my single-core 939 machine can't handle with ease, so I'm really wondering what I'd be gaining with an expensive Conroe setup. I'm not really into benching.

KillrBuckeye said:
The major problem for the socket 939 users like me is that going Conroe will require investment in no less than a CPU/mobo/memory combo. For a decent overclocking setup, you're probably looking at $500+. If it turns out that I can grab an X2 3800+ for ~$170, it just seems like a much more practical upgrade. I have yet to play a game that my single-core 939 machine can't handle with ease, so I'm really wondering what I'd be gaining with an expensive Conroe setup. I'm not really into benching.

Thats how I fell, back when I first started posting here was when I was young and had a part time job without any expenses... thus a hobby came to be and I pushed cpus to the limit.

Now im 21 years old, I just need something stable that will play games, compress video/audio while I do other things (aka dual core)

I want to build soon, from what I have read in the past 3 minutes looking at various other sites, conroe might not even be available to people like me until september :shrug:

-Edit- Yes i know I have a core 2 duo logo as my avatar, i got confused i wanted a centrino one

Last edited:
I run Folding at Home on all my computers. Unfortunately the compiler Stanford uses for their advanced high points bonus work units only works on Intel processors. Any guess who's compiler it is :rolleyes:

So if I want to get into that high power folding club, I'll have to show 'em my Intel CPUID at the door :shrug:

Even so, a dirt cheap overclocked 3800 X2 will spank my overclocked Xeon duallie at everything except said work units and use less than half of the electricity. A Conroe will probably spank the 3800 X2 and use even less power but will cost me twice as much for a new build.

September.. BS early August at the latest IMHO

If I was to invest in a high dollar GFX setup conroe would be a no brainer decison, but untill the NV 590 chipset jury comes in SLI isnt going to be an option for the 7900GT's that are the killer deal right now :(

If you already HAVE a GOOD 939 rig and want to upgrade to dual core selling the rig before Core2 comes out would be the only wise desion if your not going to stick it out :shrug:

Hard times for performance desisions :cry:

greenmaji said:
...but untill the NV 590 chipset jury comes in SLI isnt going to be an option for the 7900GT's that are the killer deal right now :(

What do you mean by this? Is there a problem?

Back