• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD prices drops cross the board

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'll be very interested to see how low the energy efficient chips drop in price. If they drop my the same margin (which is likely I think) that's where I'll be :bday:

I have a feeling AMD will not wait till the end of July for price cut. It does'nt make any sense. people will just wait till then and 1.5 months will be frozen/wasted. It only makes sense to start asap since it's been leaked/announced.
Already a few cpu's have been reduced in price, happened right after the rumor. So I am hoping the same thing should happen to 2x's and we will see the new prices soon.

Lower prices across the board is a great thing.
Im sure stock clocks/performance will be considered (too bad the price cuts would be exellent if max OC performance was taken into consideration :p ) of competitive products.
Performance fanisum isnt a bad thing but contemplating a complete build over a chip upgrade isnt that hard $/fps so some of the advice might be better served ot those that havnt been informed, and are getting ready to do a complete build, and not everyone has to keep an eye out for that on a forum as well informed as this one ;)

ochungry said:
I have a feeling AMD will not wait till the end of July for price cut. It does'nt make any sense. people will just wait till then and 1.5 months will be frozen/wasted. It only makes sense to start asap since it's been leaked/announced.
Already a few cpu's have been reduced in price, happened right after the rumor. So I am hoping the same thing should happen to 2x's and we will see the new prices soon.

Why wouldn't they? Many, if not most, wouldn't even know that there was going to be a drop if it wasn't for the forums. Also, I doubt that the savings that we are anticipating are not going to be immidiate, as the retailers will have to sell their current stock of higher priced CPU's.

Last edited:
ochungry said:

They may already have cut prices so that by late july their resellers should have followed suit?

Or they could gradually introduce them I guess.

I'm not sure if anyone saw this yet, but there was an update to the digitimes article posted later in the day that paints a slightly less optimistic picture about the price cuts on X2 CPUs (30-40% instead of 50%). It also states that the official pricing will be communicated to AMD's partners on 6/14 (tomorrow):

Source: http://digitimes.com/mobos/a20060612PR208.html
After recent reports stated that AMD will launch a pricing campaign later this month, Taiwan-based motherboard makers have clarified AMD's position, saying the CPU maker will officially inform its partners about its latest pricing strategy on June 14, according to sources at motherboard makers.

The sources indicated that AMD originally planned to lower dual core CPU prices by 50%. However, after internal discussion, the company decided to slash prices by 30-40% instead. This is the biggest reduction the company could bear, the sources added.

So I think the best we can hope for on the X2 3800+ is around $182. Still a great deal, but not quite as tasty as before. Also, the sources could only confirm the cuts for AM2 CPUs, but it seems logical that the 939 CPUs would be reduced in price as well (we can only hope).

ochungry said:
I agree, it doesnt make sense to announce a price cut coming in 2 months, and by the time retailers actually drop the prices it will be another month. Retailers paid a certain amount for the chips they have and need to get rid of em before they can sell the cheaper ones. I think the majority of the drops have been done or will be over the next few weeks.

Guys chill with the Intel vs. AMD crap, arent you tired of arguing about that yet? :rolleyes:

fordsierra4x4 said:
Question - Why wont AMD release the 4000+ X2 for 939 as well? Surely it'd sell...
Silicon is considered like real estate, it's to valuable for some development. Considering the size of 2 1 gig caches I don't think that (AMD) wanted to produce that low end of a chip adding the extra cost of packaging it. They could get enough money for the 4400 and 4800 to justify the extra. Those who might ask, why is there an Opti 165 and 170? Well thats one line of Denmark chips where the X2s are on 2 lines (Manchester and Toledo).

i dont post at XS forums much but perkhams sig says it all

Got Brains ?...Then Wait for 65NM AMD Dual Cores Coming Late 2006, Before Going AM2.

That pretty much says it all and is the truth, they will then be able to keep up with conroe hopefully and then obviously all 939's and the usless 90nm AMD2 chips will fall in price.

What sucks is I'm trying to build a box end of July/beginning of August - I can't wait much longer. I've been waiting over a month already, using my wife's non-gaming capable PC. Ugh.

I'm either doin' an E6600 or an AM2 X2 4000+.

Rattle said:
i dont post at XS forums much but perkhams sig says it all

Got Brains ?...Then Wait for 65NM AMD Dual Cores Coming Late 2006, Before Going AM2.

That pretty much says it all and is the truth, they will then be able to keep up with conroe hopefully and then obviously all 939's and the usless 90nm AMD2 chips will fall in price.
"Got brain?" is not appropriate and is an insult.
specially when you refer to 65nm's- they are Socket AM2's if you have paid more attention instead of the insult.

ochungry said:

I agree. If AMD slashed prices on X2's today I'd likely buy an AM2 rig before the week was out. But if they wait until the end of July they I'd have to decide between an X2 and a Conroe.

fordsierra4x4 said:
I still dont fully understand the whole 4x4 thing - or if it has any benefits for the end user. If dual core is only just catching on, how much benefit will 4 way SMP be for the average user?

it wont, what AMD ios claiming as so great is what has been out in the server world for almost 2 years or more.

dual socket motherboards that can take dual core cpu's - it is nothing new so i dont see what all the hype is.

apparently they are going to let you use X2's or FX or something - but as daivid said - there goes their server market then unless the 4x4 are god awful.ly expensive and if they are then people will just buy dual socket opteron boards.

The problem with NF4 pro dual socket 940 boards is that they usually won't OC from the BIOS and you have to play with third party apps to get an overclock.

If this new dual socket AM2 platform is more OC friendly (BIOS OC) it might be worth the price of admission if it's not too ridiculously expensive. Hopefully Intel will force AMD to keep the system prices within the reach of most determined enthusiasts for under $2k like yesterdays fully loaded Xeon dually workstations were a couple of years ago.

Otherwise I might as well consider the Woodcrest platform for double the Conroe processor/core complement if it's less expensive than AM2.

Looks like it'll have to be an AM2 X2 4200+ for me @ $240. I WAS gonna get the 4000+. Oh well. Supposedly 512mb cache OC's better.

Audioaficionado said:
The problem with NF4 pro dual socket 940 boards is that they usually won't OC from the BIOS and you have to play with third party apps to get an overclock.

If this new dual socket AM2 platform is more OC friendly (BIOS OC) it might be worth the price of admission if it's not too ridiculously expensive. Hopefully Intel will force AMD to keep the system prices within the reach of most determined enthusiasts for under $2k like yesterdays fully loaded Xeon dually workstations were a couple of years ago.

Otherwise I might as well consider the Woodcrest platform for double the Conroe processor/core complement if it's less expensive than AM2.

BUt why make a dual socket AM2 ? that will cut off sales of opterons ? or vice versa ......

hence why Intel doesnt make dual socket P4's or what ever..... they have to have something to keep their "server" end seperate from their desktop end.

Back