• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED AMD QUAD CORES VS. 6 CORE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

watcher6342

i'm debating on buying a new cpu for my comp but my mobo will only handle up to am3, so if i could, i would like some opinions on which is the best for my money. i havnt gamed on this build, but it's not out of the realm of possibility that later i might. which one would be best, including oc if i have to. 95W or 125W. i saw some with 2.8 up to 3.7 ghz. does anyone have an opinion on which would be best? thanks for any help. i will be bumping the ram to 8gb and have many questions for gpu . i have no idea about them. i only went with a 1gb because all i knew was that it was faster than 512. thats the extent of my knowledge of gpu's. any help with that would be helpful too. i want gaming/performance ram, and it doesnt matter which brand. i'm gonna split my 4 gb of ram with my kids so they both have 4 gb. all knowledge and help accepted. thanks

960T is probably the best bang/buck AM3 CPU. It's a 6 core with two cores locked.

RAM, DDR2 is getting expensive now.

What will you be using your computer for? Unless you're planning on doing rendering, encoding, or other highly multithreaded workloads, a 6-core processor will be a bit of a waste.

What will you be using your computer for? Unless you're planning on doing rendering, encoding, or other highly multithreaded workloads, a 6-core processor will be a bit of a waste.
i never know what i'll use it for. i just want to upgrade it ,so if i do decide to do something like that, i will be ready. i'm just trying to upgrade my first build without having to re-build. eventually i will have to change the mobo and all else, but for now it should be future proofed somewhat if i bump the cpu, gpu, and ram(ddr2)

i do like the new bulldozer amd builds. they look nice, i just havnt had a chance to read up on them enough to decide if it would be cost effective to do one for fun. i get bored sometimes.:)

960T is probably the best bang/buck AM3 CPU. It's a 6 core with two cores locked.

RAM, DDR2 is getting expensive now.

is this the one you were talking about? AMD Phenom II X4 960T Zosma 3.0GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor .

We don't close/lock threads here, but you can mark it as "solved" by clicking the "Thread Tools" menu, which is directly above your first post, on the right side.

Back