• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Radeon HD 7870 Sapphire - Black screen after booting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bynor

Good day,

Yesterday evening while playing my PC froze which forced me to forcefully shut it down.
This morning when i tried to boot, after the boot sequence my PC would just fall in a black screen.
The PC does boot in safe mode, and if i disable/uninstall the GPU drivers it boots in normal mode also. The GPU fans seems to work.

I've tried multiple solutions :
- System Repair and System Restore.
- Reinstalling different driver versions - both new and old. (completely uninstalling them using both AMDCleanUpUtility and DDU)
- MemChecks/CCleaner.
- Disconnecting everything and reconnecting.

Nothing seems to work... at this point i'm affraid it's a hardware issue.

I have a :

Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU750 @ 2.67GHz (4 CPUs)
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Display: AMD Radeon HD 7870 sapphire

I have tried a different GPU and it works no problem, it's an AMD also and uses same drivers... (AMD HD 6450)

On a side note:
Different versions of the drivers gave me different results. Older versions of the GPU drivers successfully booted the PC, but caused massive screen tearing and would crash a 30 secs or so after windows starts (sometimes with blue screen or times just went to black screen). While newer versions would not start at all, just stop at the blank screen.

Back