• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE AMD Unveils New Trinity APUs for Notebooks - Desktops to Follow

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That doesn't really make sense.... IPC doesn't change with frequency. IPC is a function of design, not the clock its run at.

That doesn't really make sense.... IPC doesn't change with frequency. IPC is a function of design, not the clock its run at.

ah.... is that so? where does the clock speed come in? i want to do some more research.

IPC is work done per clock cycle (hence "instructions per cycle"). You ramp the clock and performance goes with it. It's either an efficient design or it isn't.

The numbers are not adding up.

For example, Llano Cinebench 11.5 single thread = 0.64 and here, Trinity is clocked 30% higher with the same bench = 0.77, now add the 30% to Llano, that gives you 0.83, about 7% up.

Last edited:
Sounds to me like it may be more efficient vs BD, but not vs Llano if thats the case. Makes it a bit of a "meh" release really if thats the case

Sounds to me like it may be more efficient vs BD, but not vs Llano if thats the case. Makes it a bit of a "meh" release really if thats the case

Yeah, an improvement on BD still, but a bit meh...

The Desktop parts might be a bit more. lets see.

Desktop parts will likely have a L3 cache though I really doubt this to improve performance by much. I don't really expect much of an IPC increase. This is likely why AMD was trying to avoid hype at all costs. If they had something to shout about, I'm sure they would. Looking back I think the signs were already there for us to read. :(

I'm considering moving across to Ivy Bridge now....

Desktop parts will likely have a L3 cache though I really doubt this to improve performance by much. I don't really expect much of an IPC increase. This is likely why AMD was trying to avoid hype at all costs. If they had something to shout about, I'm sure they would. Looking back I think the signs were already there for us to read. :(

I'm considering moving across to Ivy Bridge now....

Its still an excellent Laptop part, can't take that away from them.

But for us on Desktops, if there still down on K10 let alone up, its not good news for anyone.

The only crumb in that is it is clearly very good performance per watt (much better than K10), how will that translate into something that does not need to save on watts like a Laptop?

Performance per watt is great provided you care about power use..... I don't so IPC and clockabillity are the only things I care about.

If IPC has improved a bit, and this chip overclocks better on air then this could be a win vs Phenom but not really vs Intel chips

i just wish i could get one of these mobile parts for a mITX HTPC setup...

Back