• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE AMD Ryzen 5 2400G and Ryzen 3 2200G APU Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

Today I have the AMD Ryzen 5 2400G and the Ryzen 3 2200G on the test bench. These are AMD's all-new, revised APUs based on the Zen Architecture and Radeon Graphics processing code-named Raven Ridge. AMD has found through independent research that PCs sold without a discrete graphics card makeup 30% of the market and the addition of an APU of the Ryzen Family would be ideally suited to this segment.

With suggested pricing of $169.00 for the Ryzen 5 2400G and $99.00 for the Ryzen 3 2200G, AMD has set a compelling price point that does not require a dedicated GPU. In AMD's testing, the Ryzen 5 2400G APU often compares favorably to $75 dedicated GPUs making this APU a wise choice when it comes to performance per dollar for price-conscious consumers. These two APUs will ultimately replace the Ryzen 5 1400 and Ryzen 3 1200 with similar or lower suggested pricing, higher base and boost clocks, and integrated graphics It's a natural progression.

Click here to view the article.

Sorry, I'm not impressed. For close to the same price, I could get an i3 with a GT 1030 with comparable performance. GT 1030s come in single-slot, low-profile so they can fit in the smallest cases. Plus the AMD stock cooler is too tall for very small ITX cases, and inadequate under maximum loads which is one problem I was looking for. An i3 with it's low-profile stock cooler paired with a low-profile, single-slot GT 1030 would be a much better fit for a tiny ITX boax.

Yeah, Dave but you ain't going to get the total computing power with an i3 that you will get with the Ryzen 3200G and all those cores/threads. What you say would be more or less true for gaming though. Right now GT 1030s are going for $85-$100 and the i3 coffe lake for about $130. That's Well over $200 compared to $190 for the 3200G. And many or most people will go water anyway on a mini ITX build, especially if they are overclocking.

I guess that would depend on the case you chose since the cooler is only 2" tall and I did say that the included cooler did fine under normal loads even Prime95 but the 2400G was running out of headroom.

I was comparing Ryzen 1200 to anything from intel in similar price about 2 months ago. i3 cost a bit more, motherboard with coffee lake support cost more ... and now 2200G will cost about as much as Ryzen 1200 but with GPU which is not so much slower than the GF1030. I think it's great price for total performance. 2400G is worse idea if we look at price/performance of whole package.
I don't think that most users who get these APUs will play any games on them. I also count that soon will be BIOS updates that will improve performance.

To me it seems to have potential but doesn't quite run away with it against blue and green. Depending if you focus more on price, performance or power consumption, there are alternate things you can do comparable to it. Where it could be a hit is in lower end SFF systems, with the Intel/Vega taking the higher end. Budget gaming system is a bit of a stretch still, unless you stick to older or relatively undemanding games.

I've been planning a retro case mod since... forever. The original plan was i3-4150T (2c4t 3.0GHz 35W) and pair that with a 750Ti. In particular I wanted to use a Pico-PSU to keep size minimal, and settled on a 150W model, that on reading the small print could only do 8A continuous on 12V rail (96W). Under stress conditions... that combo got rather closer to it than I'd like so I hit the pause button. Forward a bit, I saw a GT1030 on sale and got that to replace the 750Ti. I knew it was a little slower, but at half the power, I couldn't refuse. I didn't do anything with that either.

So now, we have the 2400G. On average, it seems to be comparable to a 1030 with either taking a lead depending on if it is an red or green favouring game. I'm debating if this should figure into my plans now. Way I see it, it has two potential benefits. One is that the APU is 65W. Comparable to the i3+1030 separately, but I save on space by not having a dGPU even if I can move it around with extenders or whatever. I don't actually know if the title I'm thinking of is AMD friendly or not though, so that'll take some research. Thing is, I know the 750Ti was on the lower end of acceptable already. 1030 might already be dropping below that. Previous testing suggested it wasn't very CPU demanding, but with updates since then that could have changed.

Edit: forgot to say... watching one of the videos out there on these products, they claimed AMD have also switched to TIM as opposed to soldering on these. I've only seen that claim in one place, so could use some verification, although I have no reason to disbelieve them. Assuming so, who's gonna be first to delid one of these and stick some LM on?

Edit 2: ok, if you google "2400g tim" you get a ton of sites all saying it uses TIM not soldered. I think that's safe to know now.

Last edited:
I just ran the Aida CPU benches in the review (Julia, SinJulia, VP8 and Mandel) and I'm impressed by the Ryzen's performance. And more than a little upset. In all but the Mandel my Skylake at 4.7 GHz got its butt kicked-badly. Are the Ryzens that much better??? It looks (to me) like AMD is back, with a vengeance.

Lol, would have gotten a free vega 9 and faster cpu cores for less than what I paid recently for the kids' 1200's (99USD). MC is selling 1200s for 5 bucks more than the 2200G's right now.

Hey Mack I did have that in the table near the beginning of the review.
Just too bad they run out of gas real quick Alaric. If they could hit 5.0 like the blues...........

I actually thought they will OC better as 2k series Ryzen was promised to OC better than the 1k series and so far both look about the same.
2200G is something like 1200+IGP and for many users that IGP makes the difference... especially that price of both is about the same.

I will try to get 2200G and make some tests vs 1200 and i3 8100. Will see if it end on full article or not.

Must have been something wonky the first time I ran the benches. I mopped the floor with everything on the FPU charts except SinJulia, where the 2400G fairly cleaned my clock. LOL I feel better now. Unless I think of the cost and effort involved. Then I get a little less smug. LOL

I just ran the Aida CPU benches in the review (Julia, SinJulia, VP8 and Mandel) and I'm impressed by the Ryzen's performance. And more than a little upset. In all but the Mandel my Skylake at 4.7 GHz got its butt kicked-badly. Are the Ryzens that much better??? It looks (to me) like AMD is back, with a vengeance.

My 6700k at stock (4.0 GHz with 4.2 one core turbo) beats the Ryzens apart from SinJulia.

For comparison I got:
vp8 7298
julia 33973
mandel 18291
sinjulia 4816

For SinJulia, if I look at the example results given in Aida64, my score is within tolerance of the 6700k they have there, but they're suggesting a 3770k at 3.5 GHz base 3.9 turbo is faster?

What does each do? https://www.aida64.com/products/features/benchmarking
In short:
VP8 - who knows
Julia - 32-bit (single precision)
Mandel - 64-bit (double precision)
SinJulia - 80-bit (old x87)

Now, my concern here is for Mandel they list "x87, SSE2, AVX, AVX2, FMA, and FMA4" as instructions used. I don't see FMA3 in there. The thing is, FMA3 was introduced with AVX2 in Haswell, and I'm bad at using them as if they're the same thing, but I'm not sure they technically are. If FMA4 is of benefit, FMA3 should be too. If FMA3 isn't used, it'll be missing out on a significant boost for Haswell or newer, and Ryzen can also try to take advantage of it. It supports it, but I'm not convinced it is effective. Similar story with FMA4 on older AMD processors.

I've not really looked into x87 as there are few things that really need it now. But in what little I have done, is yet another prime number finding software called genefer. This is NOT based on the Prime95 codebase, but does have some similarities in that it does FFTs also. For a particular type of number, due to its size the extra precision of x87 was required over 64-bit, yet it used small FFTs. This should allow running out of cache, so isn't ram limited, and in that I saw a similar gap in IPC between Ryzen and Intel as for 64-bit. So SinJulia is behaving nothing like that. Further looking at the Aida64 example results, the 4770 and even 2600 (both non-K) are not far behind the 6700k, despite their lower clocks and older architectures. The only commonality I can see is they're all DDR3 systems. I'm wondering if there is some other feature of the CPU that helps these results more than the cores, and I'm thinking ram access in some way.

Aida64 doesnt officially suppprt this cpu...keep that in mind when trying to compare results. ;)

Hey Mack I did have that in the table near the beginning of the review.
(if I keep quiet maybe he wont notice I didn't read every word...) :chair:

I actually thought they will OC better as 2k series Ryzen was promised to OC better than the 1k series and so far both look about the same.
2200G is something like 1200+IGP and for many users that IGP makes the difference... especially that price of both is about the same.
My understanding is these APUs are enhanced Zen. The as yet unreleased 2000 parts will be the more interesting Zen+ parts that hopefully have more headroom.

Aida64 doesnt officially suppprt this cpu...keep that in mind when trying to compare results. ;)
Fair enough, to a point, but I'm not sure there'll be that much difference with optimisation.

Scores can down, up... it will depend. ;)

Correct, these are APUs...this is NOT Zen+ which is said to be an update and better architecture and also said to overclock better. For all intents and purposes, its Zen with a vega gpu inside. Thats it. :)

For all intents and purposes, its Zen

I was an AMD fanboy when I got here. Then I finally accepted Intel's overwhelming dominance and got a Team Blue chip that was a very good chip. And in a little over a year AMD is knocking (banging, actually) on my decently OC'd door. The next time Team Red comes to the door they're likely to be kicking the door in and messing the place up. Smh.

They're definitely based on zen 14 nm parts. Zen+ coming in aprilish 12nm refresh mostly a shrink with some minor improvements and patch for the recent bug scare

Back