• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE AMD Ryzen 5 2400G and Ryzen 3 2200G APU Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
There are some games that run quite good on 2200G which I have. I was trying to overclock the chip to find out how much can make this budget APU but at least my 2200G can't make much more than ~3.9GHz on air and graphics frequency is not changing when I use AMD Ryzen Master utility. Have to check some more things as I expect at least 20% performance improvement after OC.
In general it looks pretty good for the price. In local stores Ryzen 2200G costs a bit less than Ryzen 1200, what is interesting as we get IGP and it's still cheaper.

There should be new drivers soon and I count on new BIOS in couple of days so let's hope on some improvements.
New beta drivers were released today https://www.techpowerup.com/download/amd-radeon-graphics-drivers/ , not sure if it includes APU improvements but it's for all new GPU so I think it will

In general it looks pretty good for the price. In local stores Ryzen 2200G costs a bit less than Ryzen 1200, what is interesting as we get IGP and it's still cheaper.

From the AMD material they intend for the 2200/2400 to replace the 1200/1500x and mde them slightly cheaper for that reason

From the AMD material they intend for the 2200/2400 to replace the 1200/1500x and mde them slightly cheaper for that reason

Yeah, but if I were building a rig for myself, today, I wouldn't go any lower than 6c/12t for a CPU. But I'm not their intended market for these chips. For the average (vast majority) of users, who aren't "gamers", these chips look like a home run. Honestly, the Minecraft and email crowd just got a very early Christmas. And the "But it's an Intel" sales pitch to that same demographic just took a punch to the gut.

I'm testing memory clock on my 2200G/ASRock X370 Gaming ITX/ac and so far it looks like a lot depends on memory profiles but anything above 3600 is throwing artifacts ( I test it using IGP ).
- Patriot Viper LED 3200 / Samsung B 2x8GB works at XMP/3200 16-18-18, can make 3466 stable but has problems to boot at 3600
- Patriot Viper 4 3733 / Samsung B 2x8GB boots at XMP/3733 17-19-19 1.35V ... but there are artifacts once Windows starts, will try to make something at 3600 as it seems to work good

edit:

Patriot Viper 4 @3866 18-18-18

3866apu.jpg

Last edited:
Back