• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD X2 5200+ Max 2.8Ghz???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
My approach was to spark an idea of lowering the multi then letting the rest of it click in your head...with the help of others above, it seemed to work well :)

Go back to 3X HT divider, and I would also lower your ram divider further. Right now I would put everything except the HTT as close to rated speeds as possible, this way you can isolate the CPU and ensure that nothing else is holding you back.

Yes, what Funnyperson said. And keep testing stability! Just because you can boot into Windows and browse teh intarwebz doesn't mean you achieved a stable 3.0 clock. Now that you're in Windows, start running Orthos.

Last edited:
Well with a dual core you want to make sure that both cores are fully loaded. Orthos is great because it spins off the second thread for you. Although running two instances of your burnin program may work (check task manager to confirm that both cores are at 100% load.

Well I Used Orthos Beta To Stress Test. The Cpu Passes, But The Ram Craps Out After A Minute Or Two... I',m Back At Stock Speeds To Verify The Ram Is Going To Pass At Stock.

Error Output
Type: Large, in-place FFTs - stress some RAM Min: 128 Max: 1024 InPlace: Yes Mem: 8 Time: 15
CPU: 3003MHz FSB: 273MHz [273MHz x 11.0 est.]
CPU: 3003MHz FSB: 273MHz [273MHz x 11.0 est.]
3/1/2007 5:00 PM
Launching 2 threads...
2:Using CPU #1
1:Using CPU #0
2:Beginning a continuous self-test to check your computer.
1:Beginning a continuous self-test to check your computer.
2:press Stop to end this test.
1:press Stop to end this test.
2:Test 1, 4000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M19922945 using 1024K FFT length.
1:Test 1, 4000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M19922945 using 1024K FFT length.
2:FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.48828125, expected less than 0.4
2:Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.
2:Torture Test ran 1 minutes 34 seconds - 1 errors, 0 warnings.
2:Execution halted.

what if you fail those cpu test few minutes into it but your system runs just fine...is it hurting anything?

Titanos said:
what if you fail those cpu test few minutes into it but your system runs just fine...is it hurting anything?

You can run an unstable system without recourse for the most part, but eventually the computer will crash doing something, in a game or folding proteins or rendering video... or it might just cause a glitch or program crash. If it will run Prime for an hour or so, it's unlikely to cause a problem doing normal tasks... but a 24 hr test is really the best measure to say it's stable.

Titanos said:

At some point if it's not prime stable or orthos stable you most likely will get some type of crash under heavy loads. I had mine at 3.1 for a month then It started failing when I was playing games for more that an hour. Then there are people who claim to never stress test an o/c and have no problems. I have personally lost data twice because of bad memory overclocks,i alway run orthos or prime for 24 hours.

Keep it goin :) . You're on water so you should be able to bump that Vcore right up..

If you want best Bang for heat combination, don't ramp it up much more at all (stay below 1.50) but to get that extra bit out of it, you could go up to 1.55 or so safely.

my 5200+ did 3.08ghz @ 1.45 actual 24/7 stable

3.18 @ 1.55, agian 100% stable. but produces quite a bit of heat at these clocks, and temps had to be kept in check so I didn't run like this all the time.

Results will vary from cpu to cpu, and on less capable mb's.

http://img186.imageshack.us/my.php?image=untitled22lh1.jpg (only 30mins test, but as I said 3.18 was perfectly fine)

I agree with the comments that 3.4 is optimistic to say the least. Only a super chip will do that on water, as K8's hit a wall. Some higher binned F3's are hitting these speeds but not all.

Back