• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Amplifier and Reciever help.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tenchi86

Hey, I just ordered two car subs from a memeber of these forums. They are MTXs Road Thunder (I think those are them just mine have a black bottom not red). I also already have this Pioneer Reciever, combined with two front Pioneer speakers (150watt max, 8ohms Indepent) and a set of two rear speakers both Pioneer and a Center speaker also Pioneer all (100watt max, and 8ohms Indepent). Ok well I know my sound system sucks pretty bad. Anyway I am trying to fix it the best I can on a budget, thats why I got 2 used car subs instead of a nice home sub. I also plain on building the box for them myself if I can. Anyway what I need help with now is getting an Amplifier for the subs and a new reciever for the Pioneer speakers. I want the reciever if possible to be able to handle video like my current one does. The amplifier does not really matter, just need something that will be able to decently push those subs. Ok well all of this needs to be as cheap as possible, so if you have any ideas please try to keep them cheap. For the Amp I was recommended this 250watt Plate Express, I was also wondering about something like this this , and for the Reciever I was thinking something like this one. Anyway thanks a lot if you even took enough time to click this and especially if you read all of it. Sorry I didn't really know what I could leave out to make it shorter and still give you all the info you might need. So thanks for any help.

what's wrong with the reciever that you have, i dont see why you would need to upgrade that...

that plate amp is awesome, i enjoy mine

The reason I was wondering about the reciever is I need to order a remote for it anyway to get it to really work again, and before I waisted money on that I was thinking it may be so outdated by now it's not worth it. If you think it's ok then I geuss I'll just get one of those plate Amps. Can you explain to me why though that 1000watt one is so cheap? Is it just a really crappy brand? Thanks for the help, I really dislike being so blank minded about this but sadly I am, and this is really helping me learn.

Your Pioneer receiver should be fine, maybe go to radio shack and get a nice universal remote for it

The 1000 watt amp is so cheap cause it is a car amp and the 1000 watts is "max" power, RMS power which is power you will actually get is probably much lower. Also you cant use a car amp in your house...you can but not easily

The parts express amp you linked to would be just about perfect, that would give you about 90-100 watts per sub if you hook them up in series

If you are building a box try to get it about 1cubic foot per sub, thats what I had and it sounded good

So 90-100 watts is enough to push these things good enough? Also how you said it ran of DC not AC, would a converter work? Or would I be best to just stick with that 250 parts express? Thanks a lot for taking a look at this thread.

the parts express amp is probably more powerful than the other one since the 250 watts is RMS power, not max

90-100 watts would be slightly low, but they will hit pretty hard, i had 120 going to each of them in my office and it was loud

you could parallel the subs to 2ohm and run the amp that way and you will probably get about 150 watts per sub, it will get hotter quicker though so be careful not to overheat the amp

i would only run it at 2ohm if the 90-100 watts at 8ohm isnt enough for you so try that first

Ok, one other thing I was wondering. Would you recommend getting a duel box for these, or two single ones? Also should I only run one at once maybe so it can max out? Or would 2 at lower power be better? Again thanks for the help.

that amp would probably push those subs more than they could handle
i.e. dont worry about not getting enough powa to them

i'd say that reciever's fine

build your own box for them, one big one, check the stickies in this forum

Ok thanks a lot for all the help you people gave me. I think what I will be doing is probably tomorrow get the Amp and then starting constrcution on the box, and as recommended I will stop by like Radio Shack or something and see what type of remots they have. Hopefully I can get this all togather before Christmas.

Back