• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another fun post from S_I_N but this time.....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

S_I_N

I scored a XPS 720 rig today. Its complete aside from HDD optical and a cooler for the cpu oh and memory. I have no probs with the drives and memory but its a BTX mobo and case and I have been unlucky on finding a cooler for it. Anybody have any experience in coolers for BTX??? Where might I try looking for one. This case had the air cooler on it not the H2C according to the guy I got it from. Oh and before you ask I didnt spend a cent on it. So spending a little on it to make it functional isnt a major issue.

That case is awesome. Check the MNPC YT! channel, they were modding one and maybe that could help you somehow.

will check it out might have to do a mod if I want aftermarket mines the silver chassis with black bezels best part is its virtually scratch free. Just a couple small scratches on the top.

If you just need the stock cooler, they're being sold on eBay and Amazon.

eBay

Amazon

yup saw those last night was hoping for an aftermarket solution. Talked to guy I got it from he said he think he has the stock unit at home is going to check for me. If not I'll be ordering one today from ebay most likely. Was just hoping to mess with it sooner than later.

As far as I'm aware, the stock coolers are actually pretty good. it does at least keep the Q6600 in the XPS 420 pretty cool. And it seems like they all use pretty much the same heatsink.

Edit; If you want I can run prime on my XPS 420 if you'd like some numbers?

cool if you have time no sweat here I'm going to try it out first anyways the deal is if I have to buy one I'd like to see if i can find better first lol. I have a Corsair A70 D-14 and a TT Frio Extreme laying about. Dont think the last 2 wil fit in case though lol

Okay, so after about one hour of prime, it reached a maximum of 60 degrees Celsius on the hottest core, the rest of the cores were ranging from 55-58.
Room temp is about ~20 degrees Celsius(+/- 1-2 degrees)

nice thank you for taking time out of your morning and doing that for me. I'm most likely going to buy the stock one from ebay or amazon so I can play with it til I find something else most likely will stay on it lol. Might even look into the H2C options lol or even custom loop it. biggest challenge will be getting a mounting system that is more universal for it.

No problem.
Sounds like a fun project. Good luck with whatever route you choose to take :)

Last edited:
got the stock cooler in for it today and boy it lets ya know you pushed the power button lol. But it quiets down real quick. Now that I have her powered up Im digging it even more than before lol. I love the adjustable leds on the front and back to bad you cant adjust them thru windows. (or at least I dont think you can)

Back