• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Antec 920 High Temps?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

702drips

Registered
Sry if this is in wrong section

First off here are my specks

FX-8350
Asus HD7950 3GB
Asus M5A97 Evo
8GB Patriot G2 Series Ram
OCZ Mod Xtreme 700W PSU

so heres my problem

i purchased an antec 920 cpu cooler and it worked great before i upgraded to the fx8350

before i was using phenom ii x4 975 (O.C To 3.9Ghz) and the temps were great never went above 55c while running prime 95

so after i bough the FX 8350 i installed the cpu cooler and everything "seemed" ok, until i saw my temps

my temps are around 42 on idle and with like 2 min of prime 95 my temps skyrocket to 63c(not sure how much higher they will go,since i stop it at 63c)

ovcourse with normal gaming (skyrim with ENB Mod and HD Texture etc) my cpu temps are below 60 like 56c average

i know im still in the "safe zone" as long as i dont overclock

but im wondering why my temps are on the high side?

those temps would be acceptable if i was using the stock cpu fan, but im using a $100 cpu watercooler...

and yes iv tried re applying thermal paste and making sure its perfect...iv re-applied thermal paste several times..yet my temps are still the same.

my radiator is mounted in the rear of the case..both fans are sucking air from outside the case

im using "cooler master High Performance thermal compound"

so if anyone can give me some troubleshooting steps to help me solve this that would be greatly appreciated

i was really hoping on OC this thing

-is there a chance i received a faulty cpu?
-is there chance i received a faulty cpu cooler?

The cpu cooler's waterblock appears to have a few scratches..but doesnt seem "major"

Here is a screenshot of what happend just after 2 min of prime 95
Untitled.png~original

Also notice how my liquid temps are Way off from cpu temps.

not sure if water just needed to heat up?

so any help would be much appreciated TY

----More info----
when i first used it on my phenom ii x4 i didnt use the cooler master thermal paste, i used the pre applied paste on the cpu block.

i used the "Dot method" to apply the thermal on the cpu.

Also i have this thing running at stock..and i also have cool and quiet disabled

Last edited:
You need more cooling. That cooler isn't as good as top air cooling and you need to ensure your case airflow is the best. You have a HOT processor you have to adjust.

We have stickies for real WCing if your interested. Only way to tame that with air/AIO is big fannage and used to the drone of loud fans or go big and spend a few $100 for real watercooling.

You need more cooling. That cooler isn't as good as top air cooling and you need to ensure your case airflow is the best. You have a HOT processor you have to adjust.

We have stickies for real WCing if your interested. Only way to tame that with air/AIO is big fannage and used to the drone of loud fans or go big and spend a few $100 for real watercooling.

hmmm...so you dont think there something wrong with my cooler?...

i have one 230mm in front (intake), 200mm side(intake)2 140mm top (exhaust), and 2 120mm back radiator intake fans

only aftermarket fan is the side 200mm(coolermaster)

so assuming that my cpu cooler just sucks..

what air cooler would you recommend?

preferably around the $100 price range
(i dont think i have the guts to try real WC yet..lol)

or what can i do to improve the performance on my current cooler?

because i read some reviews about my cooler before i bought it and people where getting way lower temps ...

also i read the "overclocking " guide for the bulldozer chips and the guy has the exact same cpu cooler that i do....im assuming he was getting good temps since he oc his to over 5GHz

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=688663

unless the pile driver cpu is WAY hotter than the bulldozer?

A real short simple answer.... Needs a larger Rad. Loops is too warm, there's not enough heat dissipation.

A cure, buy a rad and do a little modding ;)

That 920 is a meh cooler in the first place, you simply need a better one. H110 would be the preferred choice if you want another AIO.

If you want cheaper/quieter, NH-D14 or PH-TC14PE.

Do NOT start modding the 920. It`s not woth the trouble...trust me i`ve done it. Better go big air or real wc.

Ok...so you guys are saying better case fans and better cup cooler..

What would you guys recommend?...

I prefer around the 100 doller range..

Im a bit upset that i spent 100 on a worthless cpu cooler..
And it still doesnt make sence that other people get lower temps than i do with this cooler...still cant understand that

Did you say the rear fans are intake? From your post where you describe your airflow it sounds like the only exhaust fans you have are the top ones. Usually airflow is intake front/bottom exhaust rear/top.

Ok...so you guys are saying better case fans and better cup cooler..

What would you guys recommend?...

I prefer around the 100 doller range..

Im a bit upset that i spent 100 on a worthless cpu cooler..
And it still doesnt make sence that other people get lower temps than i do with this cooler...still cant understand that

1001 variables: ambient room temp, airflow, cable management, accumulated dust (or lack thereoff), filters, etc, ... or just plain lies -its the internet, it happens.. since everybody on the net is a 1337 supermodel & millionaire....

Since your harddrive is getting hotter also.. either you room temps are high, or the airflow through the case is less than optimal

1001 variables: ambient room temp, airflow, cable management, accumulated dust (or lack thereoff), filters, etc, ... or just plain lies -its the internet, it happens.. since everybody on the net is a 1337 supermodel & millionaire....

Since your harddrive is getting hotter also.. either you room temps are high, or the airflow through the case is less than optimal

Man, beat me to it.

Ok...so what would be my best bet...

Heres what i would be satisfied with..

I want to run this thinat 5ghz(or close to this speed) and idle temps around 25c-30c and with full load less than 60c would be nice...im stock speeds(4ghz) and 42c idle and 65c ful load.....

So i woulr like some help...maybe some products that i could buy to achieve this goal....

Would it make a dif if i bought the nzxt kraken x60?

or would my temps see no improvement with that.....

Im not to sure aboit going ful WC yet..not sure i wanna spend 400 full a real wc loop..

Please let me know ty

How about we get some specifics first, what case? What fans? How many? What direction? What ambient temperature?

Also, 5GHz is a stretch unless you are on full WC. You'd basically need a perfect 8350 to do that on anything besides full custom.

Ok...umm im using thor v2 full tower.. And all the fans i have are on me previous post....

Did you say the rear fans are intake? From your post where you describe your airflow it sounds like the only exhaust fans you have are the top ones. Usually airflow is intake front/bottom exhaust rear/top.

That is correct...the reason for that is becouse i have my cpu cooler mounted on the rear of the case and antec suggested i had both fans blowing air out of the case....but it made more sence to use both fans as intake to suck cool air instead of hot air from inside the case.....unless theres a bether method

Rear should be exhaust, what ambient temps?

Even if my radiator is mounted at the rear?...isnt it worse if hot air is being pushed through radiator?...

Im not sure how to monitor ambient temps

Even if my radiator is mounted at the rear?...isnt it worse if hot air is being pushed through radiator?...

Im not sure how to monitor ambient temps

Yes, even though your radiator is in the rear. You have airflow fighting itself with air coming in from both directions.

What temperature is it in your house? 21C? 30C? Just an estimate.

So 1 fan should be pushing and the other sucking i air?...

Not sure...but usualy i set my ac to 76...not sure if celcius or ferenheight....which ever seems like a normal room temp.lol

Id say around 79f

Last edited:
I dont see a problem? HW moniotor says your CPU was 49c max. Your socket was 66c

Back