• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Antec KÜHLER H2O 920 thermal paste

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gubbi05

Hello Overclockers!

I recently bought a complete upgrade for my pc.
I decided to put in a Antec kühler h2o 920 watercooler with dual fan solution.

The antec fans were incredible loud, so i switched them with 2 x Noctua NF-S12B FLX 120mm fans.

Im running a 2700k cpu @ 4.8 ghz 1.395 volt.

The watercooler head is mounted with pre-mounted factory thermal paste.

After running a 1 hour Prime95 test, i got these temperatures. :shock:

76c
81c
77c
80c

It dropped to 70-71c most of the time, but im a bit worried about the 80+ c

Would it help me, if i cleaned the coolerhead and putted some new paste from better companies on ? :confused:

Hope u guys can help me :)

Only thing i can think of is check and see if it seated properly on it. I had the same issue with my stock fan that i got from Intel. It made my processor jump up in temp really fast. But for liquid cooling, that shouldn't be a issue. Try running intel burn test on it too. I have a 2700k too at 3.5ghz. I upgraded my cooler to a zalman 9500 pure copper cooler, and got to about 65C average under load. And it ran 5 sets of them. As for the paste, some people would say that arctic silver is good, and then you have people going back and forth between which paste is better, etc. I built dozens of machines and tried all of the recommended ones, and i have not seen any improvements over which one is better vs. like the standard paste. I overclocked some machines to 4ghz, i7, c2q q6700's, etc. And paste really didn't make a big difference. So the good old thermal paste that you can find at your local computer store, should be good enough. Just try to see if the plate is seated good on the CPU.

Hope that helps!

I checked if it were seated properly - and trust me it is, hehe.
The antec 920 coolerhead has a strange way to be mounted, so im worried about "airbobbles" in the paste, i've heard some people talking about that.

I have the 620 and my temps never reached that high even oc'ed @ 4.2Ghz with 1.4v. I have 2 scythe slipstreams SY1225SL12SH in push/pull.

Either those fans are not pushing enough air, something is wrong with the pump/coldplate or there's no fluid in the unit.

I have the 620 and my temps never reached that high even oc'ed @ 4.2Ghz with 1.4v. I have 2 scythe slipstreams SY1225SL12SH in push/pull.

Either those fans are not pushing enough air, something is wrong with the pump/coldplate or there's no fluid in the unit.

I would agree with the pump rather than the fans. Because once it reaches the radiator with the fans, 1 of them should be enough to cool the unit back down. I think the actual pump isn't pumping enough of it to circulate back and forth.

I have 2 fans in push/pull :) but maybe the fan to get cold air into radiator isnt good enough.

It says the pump is running with 2500-3000 rpm, and water is 41 c at max load ( 100% ).

Hmm, ok. This may sound dumb, but how do you have it hooked up? Like This ? If the water is 41c @ load, then something is not right if your load temps are topping off @ 81c

Are you using the factory thermal paste that was on the plate or did you use something else?

Hello Overclockers!

I recently bought a complete upgrade for my pc.
I decided to put in a Antec kühler h2o 920 watercooler with dual fan solution.

The antec fans were incredible loud, so i switched them with 2 x Noctua NF-S12B FLX 120mm fans.

Im running a 2700k cpu @ 4.8 ghz 1.395 volt.

The watercooler head is mounted with pre-mounted factory thermal paste.

After running a 1 hour Prime95 test, i got these temperatures. :shock:

76c
81c
77c
80c

It dropped to 70-71c most of the time, but im a bit worried about the 80+ c
Would it help me, if i cleaned the coolerhead and putted some new paste from better companies on ? :confused:

Hope u guys can help me :)

So it "drops" to 70C? To me this seems like this might coincide with the functionning of the pump.. If you get intermittent drops and raises, either its something controlling the fans, or the pump.. Air bubbles might be associated with constant high temps.

Actually! The radiator is placed with tubes at top! Could it cause the pump to get less pressure ?

It keeps very stable temperatur in prime95 at avg: 65-70, but when i get to one of the last test in prime, it raise the temperature with 10 c, when the next test comes, then it drops again. :) i think its the "biggest" part of prime test.

I dunno but me thinks you have air trapped in the unit. My i7 920 runs hotter and my temps are cooler.

*Edit*

I just began to run p95 on my setup and with realtemp my temps are now topping out @ 78-80c. Looks like the only difference between your 920 and my 620 is the orientation of the rad. I have mine mounted with the tubes on the bottom (like in the pic). You stated you have yours upside down with the tubes ontop.

Last edited:
I dont know if it would make any difference, but i could try place the radiator with tubes at bottom and see if it does anything.. Worth a try :p

Hi,

has anyone found a solution or the reason for this? I'm having the same problems, Temperatures rise up to 80°C with the Antec 920...

i have a 920 and it always worked great, even before i ripped it apart and modded it to fit onto my 6870. anyway i would say frist put the old fans back on and check if it makes any difference. i ended up adding two 120mm deltas to my rad cause i found it did a poor job of cooling the liquid. you should also think of reseating the cooler. this gives you a chance to check how the paste was on and if there were any major bubbles.

Do you notice the pump makes a loud noise? it should be quiet, if not there is an air bubble trapped. you should try shaking and moving the unit for a few minutes and see if it quiets down. the position of the rad shouldnt matter once the trapped air is moved to the internal res of the rad. if you go to antecs website they have lots of helpful ways to fix this problem.

are the fans setup to blow the air out of the case and not into? and lastly is the unit pluged directly into the psu and not a motherboard fan header?

Last edited:
Back