• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Antivirus of Choice?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Which antivirus do you use?......and why.

• McAfee

Votes: 45 5.6%
  • Norton

Votes: 181 22.4%
  • Other

Votes: 583 72.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Avast all the way.... I love the way it scans things before you download them and the way it alerts you if it finds a virus during an install... much better than the old McAfee Corporate version I was Using

McAfee here! I love McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.0.0. Great virus program that takes up very little system resources (not near as many as retail Norton) and keeps my computer clean. :thup:

Nod32, simple layout, best AntiVirus detection rates, and uses subsequently less resources than other available AntiVirus software.

KasperSky is good as well, right behind Nod32.

sobe said:
Nod32, simple layout, best AntiVirus detection rates, and uses subsequently less resources than other available AntiVirus software.

KasperSky is good as well, right behind Nod32.

Have to agree with sobe, Nod32 has a very simple layout, uses way less resources than 95% of the other anti virus software. I used to use AVG back in the day, but last yr when I switched to Nod32, I havent left it yet! :santa:

Other--Windows Live One Care...reason--Seamless integration. Man I am actually quite impressed with this little suite, which adds even more functionality than SP2 does to the WinWall. Plus it ports right up to Windows Defender. I'm an honest, non biased guy, so I'll say that the only con is the fact that you can't shutdown the tray icon. I don't even notice it running though...ever. MS really does deserve compliments on this one, even if I'm the only one who gives it. I've never had a bug/problem even in Beta. Which got me a $20 release day discount btw. It's down that much these days anyway though.

*EDIT* nice guy ^^^^^^^^^

AVG for now - but I'll never go back to paid!

Used and loved Norton in the DOS days but it turned to carp when Windows came out. Switched to McAfee then got tired of the annual fee, which was getting bigger as my computers multiplied. Been running AVG for almost a year now and just found out the other day there are still pieces of McAfee Firewall on one of my machines! :eek:

No wonder I've had trouble installing a new NIC ... :mad:

I'm using Symantec since I get it free from work. But, I think it's time for a new poll with some of the "others" as valid options. The "current" poll is over two years old and almost 2/3 of the responses are not McAfee or Symantec. I'd be very interested in seeing actual numbers on the other options available--hopefully getting the new "other" category under 10%.

I use Norton 2006 but imho Kaspersky is the best (free or otherwise).

For second place I suggest Antivir (Which is free and better than all the free and most pay Antir virus solutions)

When my Nortons subscription ends, I will be using Kaspersky for sure.

Norton, McAfee and Symantec are all massive resource hogs.

I use AVG cause its free, but if i was going to pay, NOD32 all the way. (in the time i used it, ive never seen an antivirus thats so informative, but not intrusive with popups and crap)

Hipcrostino said:
Norton, McAfee and Symantec are all massive resource hogs.

I use AVG cause its free, but if i was going to pay, NOD32 all the way. (in the time i used it, ive never seen an antivirus thats so informative, but not intrusive with popups and crap)

Isn't Norton and Symantec the same thing?

Ok people stay away from Norton 360. It maybe in beta but Norton wants to take over your system. I'm test PC-Cillin right now and I think its way better on vista then on XP. If anyone knows of a good testing program other then "eicar" and my own collection let me know.

question about one care ...

are their performance tools just a defrag and sys check ? well and them cheesy tcip optimizers too

Xtreme Barton said:
question about one care ...

are their performance tools just a defrag and sys check ? well and them cheesy tcip optimizers too

In Vista its more defined and runs really well to the point that you forget its there but doesn't catch all the crap thats in the wild. I would wait another year to see if it improves its self. But try it out and see if you like it.

Silversinksam said:
I use Norton 2006 but imho Kaspersky is the best (free or otherwise).

For second place I suggest Antivir (Which is free and better than all the free and most pay Antir virus solutions)

When my Nortons subscription ends, I will be using Kaspersky for sure.

I agree. I've been using Kaspersky for about a year now and I love it. I started out with 5.0 but now I'm now using Kaspersky Internet Security 6.0. It's very easy to manage and uses very little system resources. I also agree with several other people who have said that Norton and McAfee are huge hogs!!

Just my humble opinion.

Velocity said:
In Vista its more defined and runs really well to the point that you forget its there but doesn't catch all the crap thats in the wild. I would wait another year to see if it improves its self. But try it out and see if you like it.
you told me absolutely nothing ..

what is defined more ?? and compared to what ?? is this from personal experience or google ??

so its constantly running ??

:-/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back