• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

antivirus protection

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I've used Microsoft's Security Essentials for years without issues.

Virus definitions update with Windows.

Always make sure you only use one antivirus though, if you use more than one big issues can arise.

Microsoft Security Essentials is definitely better than nothing and is famous for its ease of use. MSE definitions however, are not stellar, and so from the point of view of best antivirus definitions that best combat a brand new most recently created virus, you would have to look elsewhere.

There is only one Freeware with definitions that can match and most of the time beat the most expensive pay-for antivirus software:
http://www.avira.com/en/download/product/avira-free-antivirus

It is not as easy to use as MSE, but if setup correctly, you will not have to look at ads this freeware comes with. (You can also buy the ad-free professional version).

I stopped updating Avira with version 13.0.0.2832 because it is the last version on which you can disable Avira product updates. I chose to give up product updates because of the way anti-virus software is integrated with the system. A bug in a new product update can affect the entire OS. So I get definition updates but not product updates and this is how I set up the old version, new versions should be similar, except product updates are mandatory on them:
Avira AntiVir Personal 13.0.0.2832

(Compatible with Windows 8 but not Windows 8.1. Install version 14 or later for Windows 8.1 compatibility.)

[Follow-up Build 2890 does not have the option to disable product updates. It is important to disable automatic product updates (but leave definition updates ON). Product updates may affect the Windows operating system. They should preferably be downloaded only *after* imaging the operating system partition so that if they cause problems you can reimage back to the state before product updates were installed.]

Disconnect Internet connection. Double click on Setup.exe to install the program.
Ignore Avira's warnings to uninstall Comodo Firewall or similar programs which intercept phone-home attempts.

SELECT: Custom and CHECK: I accept the End User License Agreement > Next >

UNCHECK everything when asked to install Avira Toolbars > Next > Next > Next > Next

Welcome to the Configuration Wizard > Next > Next >

Allow the configuration wizard to keep the default Express Setup options. [Do not Select All.]
(UNCHECK: Application, Games, Jokes, Programs that violate the private domain, and Unusual runtime compression.) > Next > Next >

UNCHECK: Performs a quick systems scan after the installation

Next > Finish >

*ABORT any update process when it automatically pops up!* (If you haven't disconnected Internet connection as instructed above.)

Setup the program before connecting to the internet [then block apnstub.exe and ipmgui.exe from accessing the internet].

Subscription to new virus definitions for this program is renewed automatically when you right click on Avira icon in the task bar > Start update

or download the latest key file from:
http://personal.avira-update.com/package/peclkey/win32/int/hbedv.key

and either copy it to
C:\Program Files (x86)\Avira\AntiVir Desktop
and restart or go to Help > License management > click on the blue hbedv.key link > browse to the new downloaded hbedv.key > Open.

Options:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avcenter.exe

System Scanner (upper left) > Configuration (upper right) > Yes >
UNCHECK: Follow symbolic links (on right) > System Scanner > Scan > Action on detection >
Set for Automatic, Primary action: Ignore [if you want to just scan folders and get a scan report without deleting files or being prompted what to do if virii/malware are found.]

> Click on + next to Update > Product Update > Do not download product updates.
[This option is only for Avira Antivir product updates (Antivirus definitions will still be downloaded automatically.) Product updates should be downloaded manually by going to Update > Start product update... because they may affect the Windows operating system. They should preferably be downloaded only *after* imaging the operating system partition so that if they cause problems you can reimage back to the state before product updates were installed.]

> General > Security >
Disable being notified every time USB drive has an AUTORUN.INF file:
UNCHECK: Block autorun function
> General > Events > Select: Limit size to max. >
> General > Reports > Select: Limit number to max. >
> General > Alerts > UNCHECK everything except Dial-up connection is used

> OK

> Scheduler [on lower left] > UNCHECK everything.

Set Avira Free Antivirus to Always show in Windows Taskbar.

To disable Notifier nag screen: Windows 2000/XP Control Panel > [in Windows 7/8, click on (view by Category) System and Security first] > Administrative Tools [fourth from bottom] > Local Security Policy > Right click on Software Restriction Policies > Create New Policies SO THAT ADDITIONAL RULES SHOWS UP UNDERNEATH > Right click on Additional Rules > New Path Rule... > Browse... to the path of avnotify.exe default is
C:\Program Files (x86)\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avnotify.exe
or
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avnotify.exe

> Set the security level to Disallowed > OK

Also block these two files from accessing the internet, using Comodo Firewall or similar software:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\apnstub.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\ipmgui.exe

or

C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\apnstub.exe
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\ipmgui.exe

The blocked files are to block Ask toolbar check and to block a popup nag.

apnstub.exe is related to a Toolbar check. AntiVir software checks whether the ASK-Toolbar is already installed on your computer. If the Toolbar is already present, AntiVir will not bother you with a slide-up alert asking you to install it. The apnstub.exe utility will do this check three times (the next three times that you reboot your computer). An additional check is done whenever the AntiVir setup dialog is displayed, in order to once again confirm the presence or absence of the Toolbar. If the ASK-Toolbar is already present, AntiVir will not offer you the setup option for installing the Avira-Toolbar.

ipmgui.exe is related to Avira messaging popup nag.

For Windows XP Home or Windows 8 (non-Pro version) you would need to boot into Safe Mode and log in as Administrator, then
go to
and right click on it >
Properties > Security TAB >
[Under Group or usernames] SYSTEM > Edit button > CHECK: Deny for Read & execute > Apply > OK > OK

Make sure SYSTEM is set to Deny for Read & execute before rebooting.

To submit a suspected virus, go to
http://analysis.avira.com/samples/
to upload it.

You can scan multiple drives inside program options: Local Protection > Scanner > CHECK drives you wish to scan. The premium version also offers the option to scan multiple folders here. The free version does not.

In case of error message:

The procedure entry point ?_Xbad@tr1@std@@YAX4error_type@regex_constants@12@@Z could not be located in the dynamic link library MSVCP90.dll

download and install Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...FamilyID=a5c84275-3b97-4ab7-a40d-3802b2af5fc2

Manual updates can be downloaded from:
http://dl.antivir.de/down/vdf/ivdf_fusebundle_nt_en.zip
Unzip the downloaded file and copy all the contents to
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop

Using two Antivirus programs at the same time:
If there are two Antivirus programs installed, you should not have two Antivirus *Guard* programs active at the same time because this would slow the system down, Windows may even have problems booting with two Antivirus guard components being active. So if installing AntiVir on a system where there already is an Antivirus program installed, do not install AntiVir guard.

Also disable the guard component of one program if using another program to scan an entire disk drive.

Default log file location is
C:\ProgramData\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\LOGFILES
or
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\LOGFILES

Last edited:
LOL i was actually just about to ask this same question.. For years i used Norton.. I just have always felt it utilizes system resources and slows my system down. I was doing a little research and came across bit-defender which i recently installed on my wife's laptop. One feature i love is it has game mode: which will let it run in the background without interfering with game play. Another feature i enjoy is a bitdefender web browser that allows for bank acess and such and while running scans for key loggers etc. Cost wise it was fairy cheep. 3 pcs for like 30 bucks.

http://www.bitdefender.com/media/ht...it-.defender&gclid=CIHi6L_M7LoCFU9o7AodbHYALQ

Norton is disliked by old timers remembering how much it used to slow their systems down. But new versions of Norton do not slow down the system like old versions use to. Norton definitions are also very good.

Bidefendet costs $30 more than Avira freeware.

Avira freeware will require you take 5 minutes to disable the ads, that is the only downside.

This "KASPERSKY" which i tried this year and found to be very good, does not use a lot of resources. And gives you great protection all-round.

AJ.

I think it is a very good question if 2014 versions of major companies that used to be resource hogs are still performance killers today.

One of the most notorious ones, Norton, is no longer a resource hog. Are there any left?

So that leaves us with ease of use, cost and definition updates.

Cost is no indicator of quality as Avira freeware has historically smoked much of their pay-for competition. I would imagine most have resolved their resource hogging issues by 2014. That leaves us with ease of use and definitions.

Last edited:
Those can me mutually exclusive. Avira Fails ease of use but wins definitions. MSE is easy to use but their definitions may leave you vulnerable to newer threats.

These threads always have 'I have been using X and it had no problems' posts. That doesn't really mean anything just like so called tests performed by publications advertizing the 'winning' products.

I would switch away from Avira but there still isn't anything that beats them with definitions... And it is freeware.

I switched to Avira from Norton when a virus got though my personal system undetected by an old version of Norton. Norton's definitions have improved since and are very good today but Norton is not freeware. I then saved the actual virus for testing purposes and installed latest versions of every major software, one at the time, to test their definitions against the virus that actually got through my defenses. Avira detected it. 9/10 others did not.

Hanging out at forums like this one and reading what experienced users say is the way to go when it comes to choices. There are a handful of names that come up time and time again, but only one freeware: Avira.

Last edited:
I'm one of those long time Norton haters thanks to version 2004. However their newer suite is much better from what I've seen on friends PCs (but I still won't use it), and it is freeware to many Comcast customers.

IMO McAfee holds the current crown for biggest resource hog. I've removed it from several PCs once I could get it to stop using 100% CPU. lol

Norton is disliked by old timers remembering how much it used to slow their systems down. But new versions of Norton do not slow down the system like old versions use to. Norton definitions are also very good.

Bidefendet costs $30 more than Avira freeware.

Avira freeware will require you take 5 minutes to disable the ads, that is the only downside.
I've used many myself, and yeah I swore off Norton a long time ago because it bogged things down.

Use AVG ATM and Malwarebytes on the side.

I've used Kaspersky too in the past and it's good and Avast the new one wasn't bad for awhile but it seemed to go corrupted itself on me so that's not a good thing still have it on the wifes and working fine.

Avira I even tried out awhile too and wasn't that impressed myself really.

I've used Microsoft's Security Essentials for years without issues.

Virus definitions update with Windows.

Always make sure you only use one antivirus though, if you use more than one big issues can arise.

+1 to this, I have only every used SE for the entire time I've used windows 7 and I can't remember ever having a virus problem. Anything more is unnecessary.

Nah I hate AVAST, been there done that.

Like I said above, still using it on the wife's older gaming system she inherited and seems to work fine.

Both AVG and Avast have had abysmal detection rates in the past.

Only by getting a hold of fresh brand new malware and observing how long it takes them to update their definitions, can we make any claim about how good any of the programs are.

It's amazing how many posts judge programs by saying 'I've used it and it seems to work OK'. What, things didn't fall apart on you, therefore it's good? :) A useful comment on this topic would be if you actually got hosed because you used a program whose definitions were not as updated, then isolating the culprit. Then seeing which programs detect that culprit that day which not. Then watching how many days it takes the others to do it.

I once submitted a virus Avira could not detect and shortly thereafter hit update on it and sure enough they had already incorporated it in their definitions. Very quick and efficient Average Joe reporting engine.

It's high time we do another test, it's been so long since these five were found to have the best definitions: In no particular order, if the cut off is five programs: Norton, Avira, Trend Micro, Kaspersky, McAfee. As stated before, some may use more resources than others.

Last edited:
Avira freeware will protect you better than most pay-for alternatives.

You should go with it *if you can set it up correctly. As posted in post#4 above, allow the configuration wizard to keep the default Express Setup options. [Do not Select All.]... and most importantly:

To disable Notifier nag screen: Windows 2000/XP Control Panel > [in Windows 7/8, click on (view by Category) System and Security first] > Administrative Tools [fourth from bottom] > Local Security Policy > Right click on Software Restriction Policies > Create New Policies SO THAT ADDITIONAL RULES SHOWS UP UNDERNEATH > Right click on Additional Rules > New Path Rule... > Browse... to the path of avnotify.exe default is
C:\Program Files (x86)\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avnotify.exe
or

> Set the security level to Disallowed > OK

Also block these two files from accessing the internet, using Comodo Firewall or similar software:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\apnstub.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\ipmgui.exe

Back