• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any ASUS Prime X370 Pro owners out there ... besides me??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
My RAM hates cold shutdown/bootups. It is cold boot as in click shutdown, then turn back on. The Aegis run fine at 2133, but that's it. Otherwise I keep getting 'unstable overclock' upon cold boot. Been running @2133 since 604, as that seems to have made it slightly worse.

Rig has been folding like a champ, and handles Warhammer 40k Eternal Crusade just fine. Way better than my old rig. Super happy with it. Did some silly calculations on it in C compiled with GCC and 4.10 Linux kernel. Let's say I made a stupid large csv file.... It was 145gb on disk.

MATLAB didn't like that file, it was waaaaay too large, so redid some stuff, and made 4 sample sets of 10 million data points each for my prob-stats project. May have gone overboard on the project itself... All my peers are doing simple things.

I had some reservations about returning my first two sets of RAM that I purchased because there was nothing wrong them probably on a different platform. Just was working with incomplete facts about what hardware was used to build them and bought because I was told it work with Ryzen. Had to go up the learning curve as everyone did with the memory situation. I am just happy that the 3rd time was the charm with the 3600 CL16 kit. Had to pay a premium for them over normal 3200 kit but at that time I was willing to pay just to avoid the headaches I had with the first two kits. I have hopes that later this month they will work even better but I would be perfectly happy if I had to stay at 3200 where I'm at now.

But since the Prime doesn't have P-state configuration in the BIOS ...... iffy??? I will wait for something official regarding the Prime for now. Maybe after the May AGESA update, more BIOS features will be added to the Prime? We can only hope I guess.

I think it has always been the case that there are more things that could be changed than exposed to the user in the bios. It may even be a point of differentiation between a basic product and higher end ones. With software overclocking available for some time now, I don't think it unreasonable if some of those non-exposed settings may be adjusted by other means.

P states are in every ryzen. Point is that most motherboards don't have this option in BIOS. Many options are hidden in lower series motherboards. In real there is barely any difference between $150 and $300 motherboards. The same chipset and almost all the same features. There have to be additional differences to convince enthusiasts to buy more expensive product. BIOS is one of these additional things what make the difference ( at least for some users ). What is the real difference between CH6 and Prime ? BIOS, LN2 mode and barely anything else.
Btw Elmor works for ASUS and he is the only good thing that ASUS has on the AMD side of their products. AMD motherboards never had person like him who was helping with BIOS updates, overclocking and additional tips. Intel had many people like that. For long years Intel motherboards had full and long support while AMD ROG boards had barely anything above average.

Btw. I've switched from ASUS Prime to Biostar X370GTN ( ITX ) board and I see no difference except that board is much smaller. BIOS is weird but all is working the same. There are even more options in BIOS, bclk up to 107MHz which is not working :p and some other things which are working and some weird that I have no idea why are even in BIOS ( many options which are not described and I have no idea what are they affecting ).

Btw. I've switched from ASUS Prime to Biostar X370GTN ( ITX ) board and I see no difference except that board is much smaller. BIOS is weird but all is working the same. There are even more options in BIOS, bclk up to 107MHz which is not working :p and some other things which are working and some weird that I have no idea why are even in BIOS ( many options which are not described and I have no idea what are they affecting ).

Glad to hear that the Biostar ITX board works well. Eventually I will migrate my Ryzen 5 1600 setup to one of my ITX cases. I'll most likely go for the cheaper B350 since they typically perform the same as a low end X370 anyway.

There is one user's manual for B350 and X370 so I guess they are not much different. I hope they add some descriptions as some options are weird and there is no info what are they doing. There are many more options than in ASUS BIOS but I'm not sure if all are working. There is no VTT voltage but is VDDP without description and this may affect couple of different things like IGP in future APUs.

Btw one question ... during work, playing games etc do you see memory hardware faults in resource monitor in Windows ? This is weird but I see them regardless what memory I am using and the same was on ASUS and Biostar boards. My problem is that while playing games on everything at stock, games sometimes shut down ( simply close like when you use alt+F4 ). Once per 2-3 days I have single error saying something about memory but memory is passing all stability tests and I had the same on 4 different memory kits and 2 motherboards. I'm not sure if it's platform related or just something with my hardware.

Btw one question ... during work, playing games etc do you see memory hardware faults in resource monitor in Windows ? This is weird but I see them regardless what memory I am using and the same was on ASUS and Biostar boards. My problem is that while playing games on everything at stock, games sometimes shut down ( simply close like when you use alt+F4 ). Once per 2-3 days I have single error saying something about memory but memory is passing all stability tests and I had the same on 4 different memory kits and 2 motherboards. I'm not sure if it's platform related or just something with my hardware.

Yep, I only see them in the Resource Monitor - nothing happens when running any game or program to indicate there is a real problem.

ResourceMonitor.jpg

Hard faults are not an error condition. For whatever historical reason it is the name given to the condition when the software looks for something in ram, but it has been swapped to disk. So, it is a performance indicator of sorts, and a high amount of them could mean lack of ram, or poor management of it for some reason.

Actually there are always single errors and that's normal when we see 1-5 from time to time ... but when you see constantly 50+ then something isn't right. You can see that it's related to stability when you are overclocking memory. I can see 0-50 what is random. Somehow now when I switched memory and set it manually to 3200 16-16-16 then hard faults are lower than at auto 2133 settings ( 0-10 randomly vs 0-50 before ). It's all weird.
Usually I don't care about it but somehow I connect it to weird games behaviour. I have black desert online up 24/7 and sometimes I run additional games or other soft. When bdo is minimized then it still uses ~6GB RAM + some other things and it's never shutting down or showing any errors when is minimized. However when it's in normal mode then sometimes is closing. It was never happening when I was playing on 6800K with the same graphics, drives etc.

My X79 rig shows a constant 0 Hard Faults/sec while the Ryzen/B350 pretty much went down to 0 after running for a while. My current Resource Monitor screen is clean with 0 Hard Faults/sec across the board!

ResourceMonitor2.jpg

The new 2.40 BIOS for my ASRock AB350M Pro4 with Agesa Version string "SummitPI-AM4 1.0.0.4a", dated 5/4/17, is another fail - Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3000 still stuck at 2666. ASRock got this memory to run at 2933 in their AB350 Pro4 ATX motherboards (I had one but want an mATX board) but clearly don't have the interest or energy to do the same in the mATX version. After having several contacts with ASRock, it is also clear that they are staffed with lazy slackers who will do nothing but wait for more useless Agesa updates from AMD. They didn't even fix a simple memory voltage setting issue I told them about weeks ago. And AMD is apparently totally clueless so that's that. I really think that it is pretty hopeless at this point, and most DDR4-2800 and above will never run at it's rated speed on the AM4 platform.

****Elmor ZenState 02.2

Ryzen 7 1700x Stock on a prime x370 ram at 3200

P-state stock.PNG

Ryzen7 1700x same MB same Ram run like 1800x

P-state2.PNG

Note Win10 is in Ryzen Power Setting

would have gone higher but cooling with AIR

Have Fun

Last edited:
So what's the overall score on this board, only found 2-3 reviews ? i was thinking about getting one for my Ryzen build (gaming/OC/mess-around) in a couple months:

Ryzen 5 1600 choice: Wraith Spire Cooler/NH-D15 SE-AM4/Corsair Hydro Series H110i
Asus PRIME X370-PRO
2x8GB Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX Black, PC4-19200 (2400), CAS 14-16-16-31, XMP 2.0, 1.2V (comes with the setup, will probably replace with G.Skill Flare X 3200mhz c14)
Asus STRIX GTX1070 OC GAMING
2x 250GB Samsung 850 EVO
1x 1TB WD Blue WD10EZEX SATA III 6GB/s 7200rpm 64MB
RMX650 650W 80PLUS Gold
Fractal Design Define S Black + 5x 140mm Corsair ML140 Pro Black

I'm pretty happy with mine. My RAM sucks, but that's not the boards fault. No major issues. I thought I had wake on lab setup, but half the time it doesn't work. That's my one complaint, and it's kinda trivial.

What about fan headers ? i usually only remember too late, but i need at least 5 case + 2 CPU if i get the Noctua (don't remember if the Fractal has a splitter).

Back