• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any ASUS Prime X370 Pro owners out there ... besides me??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Specs say turbo is 4ghz for 1600x ? Isn't that supposed to garantee it works at that speed ?

Specs say turbo is 4ghz for 1600x ? Isn't that supposed to garantee it works at that speed ?
For two cores. There is a ton of variables involved. All cores may not actually hit the turbo speed since AMD is pushing the silicon process quite hard already. There is a good chance it will, but I was saying there is a chance it won't make it.

For two cores. There is a ton of variables involved. All cores may not actually hit the turbo speed since AMD is pushing the silicon process quite hard already. There is a good chance it will, but I was saying there is a chance it won't make it.

You're kinda dashing my hopes here but I went back on the thread and Blaylock said the same :) strange though it's like getting a 7700k and finding out it might not make it past 4.2ghz unless it's only on 2 cores. It's still SUPPOSEDLY better binned so I'll take my chances, £40 difference is no biggie for a rig that will last me 3y-5y.

Thanks for the info :)

1800x can barely get all cores past its own xfr. The lower models are clocking past their xfr on all cores barely. Zen is, for all intents amd purposes, an overclocking dud with ambient cooling.

Hopefully you can make use of more than 8t... otherwise, i would have paid the small premium for a 7700k.

Was planning on doing the same i did with the Skylake, SMT on for video editing/fold/work and off for 24-7/gaming which will give me lower voltages/temps if it resembles HT, a silent setup that can "easily" do 4K was also why i picked the Aorus from all the 1080ti. I'm weird i know :shrug:

I updated to the newest bios.... Let's just say Mr. Scott is right. No major changes. [emoji14]

Side note: anyone running an AMD GPU have this wierd issue:

Booting up, post splash shows, if I hit del to enter bios, I get a black screen. Power cycle the monitor, and I'm in bios. Happens on the 'overclock failed' screen as well.

Not sure if it's the ancient monitor I have, or just a bug with bios/GPU. Connected on DVI.

I sold ASUS so can't check new AGESA but I wonder when Biostar is going to release new AGESA BIOS for my ITX board. They are not the best in BIOS updates. I have no issues with this board. It runs 24/7 almost since I got it with small break to change cooling but I wish to check how high I can set memory.

Hi,

anyone with experience with the CMK16GX4M2A2400C14 Vengeance LPX? Is it worth on the board? I can get a pair of 2x8gb for the half price (used on a Intel). Can it go higher? ATM im on 2x CT8G4DFS8213.
Take it or leave it? I can get it for ~70€.

Regards and Thanks

Not on any QVL so far

Hi,

anyone with experience with the CMK16GX4M2A2400C14 Vengeance LPX? Is it worth on the board? I can get a pair of 2x8gb for the half price (used on a Intel). Can it go higher? ATM im on 2x CT8G4DFS8213.
Take it or leave it? I can get it for ~70€.

Regards and Thanks

Not on any QVL so far. It would at least run at JEDEC 2100 spec. Probably even run at 2400 spec. Might get lucky at 2666 even. For now, the pricing looks VERY tempting in the hopes that the expected AGESA 1.0.0.6 BIOS update later this month will allow you to run at spec or higher. I could get my Corsair 3200 Mhz LPX 2 X 8 GB kit to run at 2933 Mhz out of the launch gate. Hynix MFR dies are next in line in preference to Samsung B-dies so far with Ryzen.

Found it out yeterday. It dosent work on 2400. Wonderfull....not. Set the values by hand even dosent work. It stops booting or give some strange failures.

Zwischenablage02.jpg

Generally any DDR4 should run at least up to 2666. It can be Corsair memory issue as their RAM has sometimes problems also on Intel boards. There were issues with Vengeance kits on Gigabyte boards and users were complaining that some kits are not overclocking, some couldn't run at XMP settings at all.

1800x can barely get all cores past its own xfr. The lower models are clocking past their xfr on all cores barely. Zen is, for all intents amd purposes, an overclocking dud with ambient cooling.

Hopefully you can make use of more than 8t... otherwise, i would have paid the small premium for a 7700k.

XFR tends to be 1 to max 2 cores. So for an owner to compare their OC (which is all cores) they need to look at ACB figures for a SKU.

For example, for the 1800X SKU the clock configuration is following:

3.6GHz all core frequency (MACF)
4.0GHz single core frequency (MSCF)
3.7GHz maximum all core XFR ceiling (ACXFRC)
4.1GHz maximum single core XFR ceiling (SCXFRC).

For example, for the 1700X SKU the clock configuration is following:

3.4GHz all core frequency (MACF)
3.8GHz single core frequency (MSCF)
3.5GHz maximum all core XFR ceiling (ACXFRC)
3.9GHz maximum single core XFR ceiling (SCXFRC).

For example, for the 1700 SKU the clock configuration is following:

3.0GHz all core frequency (MACF)
3.7GHz single core frequency (MSCF)
3.2GHz maximum all core XFR ceiling (ACXFRC)
3.75GHz maximum single core XFR ceiling (SCXFRC).

IMO the R7 1700 was probably the real "optimal" setup of "silicon". As we go higher up the SKUs I reckon they are pushing the "envelope". We can see from The Stilt's post here how the binning/clocks are being gained on 1800X.

Now let's take the R7 1700 I bought for ~£299, I flogged the Wraith Spire RGB on an ebay FVF/cheapo shipping, my chip came down to ~£250. I got F4-3200C14D-16GTZ at a ridiculous promo price new, ~£77. Yeah I splurged on the mobo, C6H for ~£240. So my setup cost ~£567. The stock ACB for a R7 1700 is 3.2GHz, I'm at 3.8GHz, ~+19%. I'd say decent enough considering "bang for $". The official RAM speed for Ryzen on 1DPC SR is 2666MHz.

On latest beta UEFI with AGESA 1.0.0.6 which has IMC FW update as well Microcode, SMU, etc. I have gained max 3508MHz on one of the two R7 1700, 3466MHz on both (~+30%), 3333MHz (~+20%) with ease. I'm not ploughing excessive SOC/DIMM voltage either. 1.1V/1.375V gets me 3466MHz, 3333MHz 1V/1.35V.

What I see time an time again with Ryzen owners of "X" moniker CPUs is they have this belief that the CPU has been "binned" better. In a way yes, but in a way no and the no is in the way that they think binning has occurred. Plus not being aware how the boost clocks are and how to compare the OC, etc.

Yeah Zen is not setting the world on fire regarding OC'ing. Where it does shine is "bang for $", I couldn't even bring myself to pay the premium of an i7 over an i5 4690K for 4 extra HT threads. Let alone justify the Intel 8C CPU/platform prices.

Sadly the RGB functions died on the Prime Pro I was building with. I hope the RMA process goes quick with ASUS. I'll update with whatever feedback I get.

I'm not sure if AMD was doing any special binning but 1800X are overclocking a bit better than 1700X and 1700X are overclocking a bit better than 1700. Of course you can get 1700 which will beat 1800X too but it's hard to find 1700 which can make 4.1GHz stable or anything 4.1GHz+ on ambient temps for more demanding tests. Average is about 3.95GHz on 1700, 4.0GHz on 1700X and 4.05GHz on 1800X on all cores. Not big difference in performance but significant in price.
Memory controller will be the same on all. The main problem can be how its acting depends on temperature. My 1700X hates everything below 20°C. I'm not sure how high I can set memory as my current motherboard has no new BIOS and max is 3200 at which it works without issues. I have couple of memory kits which can make 4000+ so I only wait for new AGESA BIOS. Knowing Biostar it will take some time.

XFR tends to be 1 to max 2 cores. So for an owner to compare their OC (which is all cores) they need to look at ACB figures for a SKU.

For example, for the 1800X SKU the clock configuration is following:

3.6GHz all core frequency (MACF)
4.0GHz single core frequency (MSCF)
3.7GHz maximum all core XFR ceiling (ACXFRC)
4.1GHz maximum single core XFR ceiling (SCXFRC).

For example, for the 1700X SKU the clock configuration is following:

3.4GHz all core frequency (MACF)
3.8GHz single core frequency (MSCF)
3.5GHz maximum all core XFR ceiling (ACXFRC)
3.9GHz maximum single core XFR ceiling (SCXFRC).

For example, for the 1700 SKU the clock configuration is following:

3.0GHz all core frequency (MACF)
3.7GHz single core frequency (MSCF)
3.2GHz maximum all core XFR ceiling (ACXFRC)
3.75GHz maximum single core XFR ceiling (SCXFRC).

IMO the R7 1700 was probably the real "optimal" setup of "silicon". As we go higher up the SKUs I reckon they are pushing the "envelope". We can see from The Stilt's post here how the binning/clocks are being gained on 1800X.

Now let's take the R7 1700 I bought for ~£299, I flogged the Wraith Spire RGB on an ebay FVF/cheapo shipping, my chip came down to ~£250. I got F4-3200C14D-16GTZ at a ridiculous promo price new, ~£77. Yeah I splurged on the mobo, C6H for ~£240. So my setup cost ~£567. The stock ACB for a R7 1700 is 3.2GHz, I'm at 3.8GHz, ~+19%. I'd say decent enough considering "bang for $". The official RAM speed for Ryzen on 1DPC SR is 2666MHz.

On latest beta UEFI with AGESA 1.0.0.6 which has IMC FW update as well Microcode, SMU, etc. I have gained max 3508MHz on one of the two R7 1700, 3466MHz on both (~+30%), 3333MHz (~+20%) with ease. I'm not ploughing excessive SOC/DIMM voltage either. 1.1V/1.375V gets me 3466MHz, 3333MHz 1V/1.35V.

What I see time an time again with Ryzen owners of "X" moniker CPUs is they have this belief that the CPU has been "binned" better. In a way yes, but in a way no and the no is in the way that they think binning has occurred. Plus not being aware how the boost clocks are and how to compare the OC, etc.

Yeah Zen is not setting the world on fire regarding OC'ing. Where it does shine is "bang for $", I couldn't even bring myself to pay the premium of an i7 over an i5 4690K for 4 extra HT threads. Let alone justify the Intel 8C CPU/platform prices.

So, I gather from your post that there are new straps exposed in the beta BIOS?

Yes the new CHVI BIOS based on the new AGESA have added 2800,3066,3333,3466,3600,38xx and 4000 dividers. They're not straps Keith. A strap is used to set the BCLK and ram at a different speed than the other PCI,DMI busses. X99 platform has straps so you can run CPU/mem at bclk 125/166 without affecting the rest of the system

Back