• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any ASUS Prime X370 Pro owners out there ... besides me??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Board is pretty good since the beginning. Stable and there are no issues with about everything. On the other hand cheaper boards are offering almost the same. It's not ASUS fault but AMD as X370 is quite limited chipset considering it's the best you can get. I mean I've switched from ASUS Prime X370 to Biostar X370 ITX board and I see no difference. Well I have a feeling that audio is better on Biostar but I'm not 100% sure. Full ATX can be better only if you need more RAM or more pcie slots for additional cards but pcie lanes are the same and in both cases there is one M.2 socket, can use RAID, have about the same audio, lan etc.
The main reason why is good to pick something like ASUS Prime is that this board is one of the cheapest boards on X370 chipset with good power section. Some B350 boards have weak design and are not the best for overclocking. Some low X370 the same.
Other thing is that there are barely any good mATX boards for ryzen and only Biostar has ITX which isn't perfect but so far I'm not really complaining.

If you are planning to buy ryzen in couple of months then there will be better boards or at least cheaper ... and maybe new gen of ryzen with new chipset and socket.

What about fan headers ? i usually only remember too late, but i need at least 5 case + 2 CPU if i get the Noctua (don't remember if the Fractal has a splitter).

There are a total of six 4-pin fan headers. Two labelled for AIO Pump and Water Pump but of course they can be used for case fans too. You would need at least one fan splitter in your situation. When I had my Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 fan I connected its fans to CPU Fan and CPU Opt since they were the closest. Cha Fan 1 and AIO Fan at the middle back of the board and Cha Fan 2 and Water Pump fan on the bottom front of the board. I've always appreciated the good amount and location of fan headers on ASUS motherboards.

Ok so reviewed parts list and might use 1x AK-CBFA04-15 (back/top) and 1x AK-CBFA06-30 (3x front), plus the CPU/opt for the Noctua, that would work and keep the clutter to a minimum correct ? as to the CPU, would the cooler be enough to keep it at 4ghz-4.1ghz 24/7 ?

Ryzen 5 1600x
Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4
Asus PRIME X370-PRO
2x8GB Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX Black, PC4-19200 (2400), CAS 16-16-16-39, XMP 2.0, 1.2V (to be switched for G.Skill Flare X 3200mhz c14)
AORUS 1080 Ti XTREME Ed.
2x 250GB Samsung 850 EVO
1x 1TB WD Blue WD10EZEX SATA III 6GB/s 7200rpm 64MB
750W EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3, 80 PLUS Gold
Fractal Design Define S Black + 5x 140mm Corsair ML140 Pro Blue

A Noctua NH-D15 should have no problems thermally speaking. You're limitation would likely be silicon lottery. I'm able to run my 1600x at 4.0Ghz on a CM 212x for extended benches, though I have not tried P95 for more than 20 minutes as this build will never see those loads in real life.

The 1600x is supposed to do 4ghz boost and 4.1ghz XFR, there SHOULD be no issues making it 24/7... is there ?

Ryzen.jpg

Yes, but that is only if there is adequate cooling which I believe you will and even then it only boosts 2 cores. If you OC to 4.x then you disable the boost and XFR.

Ok so reviewed parts list and might use 1x AK-CBFA04-15 (back/top) and 1x AK-CBFA06-30 (3x front), plus the CPU/opt for the Noctua, that would work and keep the clutter to a minimum correct ? as to the CPU, would the cooler be enough to keep it at 4ghz-4.1ghz 24/7 ?

Ryzen 5 1600x
Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4
Asus PRIME X370-PRO
2x8GB Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX Black, PC4-19200 (2400), CAS 16-16-16-39, XMP 2.0, 1.2V (to be switched for G.Skill Flare X 3200mhz c14)
AORUS 1080 Ti XTREME Ed.
2x 250GB Samsung 850 EVO
1x 1TB WD Blue WD10EZEX SATA III 6GB/s 7200rpm 64MB
750W EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3, 80 PLUS Gold
Fractal Design Define S Black + 5x 140mm Corsair ML140 Pro Blue

I'm assuming your build is for general computing/gaming. I would think the Noctua will be able to hold the clocks at 4 Ghz with no issues. I ran my Noctua for about 3 weeks while waiting for the AIO bracket. It had a hard time for my use since I fully load the computer 24/7 with BOINC tasks. The Noctua only let me get to 3.8 Ghz on my 1700X and struggled to stay under 66°C. With my H110i I can run at 3.9 Ghz and stay under 60-62° C.

Gaming with streaming/multitasking and a dash of video editing for the kids ATM. 1600x seems to be an insane sweet spot. Shouldn't you be aiming for 70c (90c XFR) ? that's another thing does the 1600x have the 20c offset (read somewhere it was only the 1700x/1800x) or can I go "safely" go up to 80c-90c ?

Gaming with streaming/multitasking and a dash of video editing for the kids ATM. 1600x seems to be an insane sweet spot. Shouldn't you be aiming for 70c (90c XFR) ? that's another thing does the 1600x have the 20c offset (read somewhere it was only the 1700x/1800x) or can I go "safely" go up to 80c-90c ?

I was reporting the Tdie temp or actual. The Tctl temp is at 82° C. I know it can go further but I like to keep the real temp under the traditional AMD core limits of the past. I feel more comfortable with that since the chip is going to live at that temp 24/7 for several years. I'm not sure about the 1500X/1600X. I thought that ANY "X" chip had the 20° C. offset. But that information was from before the R5 series release so I don't know if that applies to the 1600X.

Right, it really doesn't change anything. All AM4 CPU's share the same thermal limits. The TL;DR for the offset is that it forces the CPU fans to ramp up earlier.

Oh right, i was confusing the tech info, i thought we had to add 20c to it and keep it below 70c-75c :rofl:

Sweetness, my father also got a 1600 and he's worried that temps are reaching 65c+ (he's counting on the offset), so this is mucho good news :clap:

Offset is only on the "X" variant BIOS should adjust for the CPU. Also this CPU is good up to 90° not like the older generations

Does anyone know how I can control the fan speeds from Windows? Speedfan doesn't seem to list anything other than my HD's SMART status and temperature.

IMO the 1600 is the sweeter spot. If you're going to OC, the "X" advantages (boost and XFR) go away, so why pay extra for it. Plus for $30 less you also get a HS/Fan good enough for a full-time OC of 3.7 to 3.8 GHz . Anyway, that was my conclusion.

IMO the 1600 is the sweeter spot. If you're going to OC, the "X" advantages (boost and XFR) go away, so why pay extra for it. Plus for $30 less you also get a HS/Fan good enough for a full-time OC of 3.7 to 3.8 GHz . Anyway, that was my conclusion.

Well it's the same argument as getting a 9590 over a 8350, binning. With the 1600x you know for a fact you can hit 4.1ghz, with the 1600 you depend too much on the luck gods and from what i have seen most stay at 3.8ghz :p i has a big budget, so might as well :D

Well it's the same argument as getting a 9590 over a 8350, binning. With the 1600x you know for a fact you can hit 4.1ghz, with the 1600 you depend too much on the luck gods and from what i have seen most stay at 3.8ghz :p i has a big budget, so might as well :D

Not really. All you know is that it can hit 4.1 GHz on two cores - 6 cores, probably not. But, as you say, you have the budget so enjoy.

Back