• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any guides to convert 4pin molex to 3pin?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

moccor

I have this fan controller here - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811992007

I'm not sure if it can handle every fan, cuz I have an old Scythe 120mm slipstream, and it seems to not like being controlled by it. This:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185060
But anyway, I have that fan controller and I would like to use it on more than 1 fan haha. I bought it because it matched my case very nice and I always wanted one, I also planned on buying 4pin molex-to-3pin converters. But I'm trying to see if its possible or if there is already a guide, on how to convert such things. Whether its cutting wires or not, any would be fine, I couldn't find one. I also have a bunch of old fans and PSU's to test it on. Any info would help, even if its the name of the 3pin connector :p. Thanks

What did you mean ? You wish to plug your fan right into a 4 pin molex ? Convert the 3pin from your fan to a 4 pin molex so your fan will spin at full speed on 12v from the molex ?

Most of the fans in my case have 4-pin molex connectors. And my fan controller has 3-pin connections. I'm wondering if I could buy or reuse a 3pin connector, and somehow convert the 4-pin molex to that. Whether its cutting the 4-pin connector off, or using a female 4-pin molex and cutting the wires there. Both would be fine

Yes, the controller you linked can controll any type of fan. You can turn a 4 pin molex to a 3 pin and vise versa.

Just link the wire you need with the other.
4-pin-molex-connector-pinout-i14.png

That is Exactly what I needed. Damn, I guess I should have tried google images too lol. I was looking for like, a tutorial or guide, but this simple pic is perfect. Thanks a lot, I need to mess around a bit with some fans now :p

NP

You could even wire one of your fan Black and Red to a molex from your PSU black and red to run the fan at 5v. I do it for alot of "non gaming" rig ive done for friends and familly. All fans are dead silent and its enough cooling for their need.

Well I have these big 230mm thermaltake fans that can with the case. And they seem to be fragile, many people complain about them stop working after a year or sooner. 3 out of my 4 are going on their 4th year, the other 120mm randomly stopped working (I'll see if I can fix it somehow, possibly a loose wire idk), but those I don't want to cut :p. I'd much rather cut a female off a old useless 80mm and plug it into the male of those for the same effect. But thanks for the tip. If I wasn't overclocking or gaming I would do that.

I have a question. Since most 4-pin molex have a GND wire, do I connect both of those to the single GND wire that is in the 3-pin connector?

Another question :p. This cable I have is from a old single-fan fan-controller. This yellow wire went to another piece, but I cut it off, its uneeded. My question is, would it be best to keep it in this ugly wrapped up electrical tape, or would it be fine to cut it off at the closest point possible?

20130205222022.jpg

If you can cut it and there is ZERO chance it will touch anything else, why not.

I had cut cable in the back of a molex in the past as close as possible to the connector and never had issue. Its better to remove the pin/wire from the connector, cut closer and insert it back into the connector.

Ahh I see. After you said that, I googled to figure out how to take apart one of these. I didn't even see those little holes under the connector. I'm surprised these molex connectors and other connectors are made to be able to be replaced, its very convenient. I think tomorrow I'll get out my soldering iron and test how it works.

No need for a soldering iron. Let me see if I can find a sticky. It's dead, sorry.

The teeny pins.... Ack Google it. You seem to notice with a bit of Goggle-Fu the world opens up.

You can remove each pin and replace them. They are smaller gauge wires and soldering will work if your good. Performance PCs sells pin kits etc. At a price.

Newark, DigiKey, and Mouser has them much cheaper. Also you might look at a molex (4 pin) pin remover etc. You can build up a nice arsenal of pins M/F, diff connectors, a basic crimp tool (pair of QUALITY needlenose) and all you need for easily under $100 to suit your needs for a while. I got 2 bins of crap like that for whenever I need them. Nice that I got a $100 pro crimper at work if I need it. I don't, been at it too long. I make do.

Yeah I was thinking of trying to reuse those pins I removed from the Male molex connectors. I actually separated all the cables and have it ready :p. Used needle nose pliers and this angled pick from a Craftsmen pick set. The problem I am at now, is one of the unused 3-pin connectors I have, had only 2 wires in it. So I need to buy some pins for that little slot to run a wire to it or improvise. Either way, I can make at least 1 now/tomorrow. If I do need to buy some, I will definitely check performance-pc's first though, thx.

Found exactly what you were talking about - http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...23_924&zenid=7a0a03c4ceb99c7c9138f9ce0c9b1323
Added it in-case someone else might have the same questions.

If you need to purchase pins, I created a sticky for that. However, if you are just removing wires, clip it as close to the pin as possible and reinstall. They shouldn't even get outside their socket, so there is no chance of it shorting. With the proper tools, you can remove and reinstall both types of pins without damage.

If you need to purchase pins, I created a sticky for that. However, if you are just removing wires, clip it as close to the pin as possible and reinstall. They shouldn't even get outside their socket, so there is no chance of it shorting. With the proper tools, you can remove and reinstall both types of pins without damage.

That is a very helpful guide. For some reason, I can't seem to "thanks" posts anymore, but soon as I can I got to give you two some :p. I wonder if shipping is reasonable too haha, might order some of these things since it's pretty much pocket change

I always never order enough, but I gotta have it and I suck up the postage. After a few years it gets where you don't have to order stuff. You never know what you need in the future, that's the problem and until you really understand the silly bits of info, you can get the wrong stuff. Like I know that! I got a wrong box too, hehe.

That is the same situation I was/is in. When I order pins, I make sure my order is well over the cost of shipping. Otherwise you are paying way too much. I bought 2000 ATX pins awhile back and haven't even put a dent in them. It is very nice to have, though.

Another question :p. This cable I have is from a old single-fan fan-controller. This yellow wire went to another piece, but I cut it off, its uneeded. My question is, would it be best to keep it in this ugly wrapped up electrical tape, or would it be fine to cut it off at the closest point possible?

20130205222022.jpg

You don't need to cut the wire, you can easily remove the wire and pin from the connector by pressing in on the pin from the opposite side of the connector from what the pick shows.

Back