• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

any other way to get more performance?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dpg3456

Hello all,

I have a decent oc on my rig in the sig as she sits. My only cap is from the voltage, she will sorta run at 1.49v but i noticed a occasional crash so i put the vcore to 1.5v and no problems. Would changing Bus speed or NB frequency help get a higher clock without changing the vcore?

Probably not. You should dial in all your settings regardless, but its unlikely you will gain much if any mhz from the changes. Sometimes down clocking the cpu-nb and lowering its volts can help open up the temp headroom a little with a very small performance trade.

Temps are great. 43 under load. Haven't seen it higher than that. It's just the voltage keeping me from going higher.

One thing I do know is the FX CPUs are pretty tolerant to voltage and they get cheaper everyday

One thing I do know is the FX CPUs are pretty tolerant to voltage and they get cheaper everyday

What voltage can these chips run on average without having issue? Is it 1.5v since that is what everyone recommends? Or could a higher voltage still be safe? In the end, i dont want to fry this chip but i dont need to last more than a year or two.

fx seem to die above 1.64 volts, my last 8350 died after a few months of being fed this, get a spare chip or two, as johan said, they are cheap right now.

Well i cant imagine the fx line to go up in price, especially with all the new cpus coming out that can out perform them. So 1.56 would be safe? Could i even get any more mhz from it with that amount of vcore?

I would just go from where you are now. You have a pretty good OC on that chip now. If you're looking to boost the overall performance of your rig there's always the RAM to play with. :D

I would just go from where you are now. You have a pretty good OC on that chip now. If you're looking to boost the overall performance of your rig there's always the RAM to play with. :D
Okay well let me try to hit or pass 5.0 and go from there. I would love to mess with the ram though.

What voltage can these chips run on average without having issue? Is it 1.5v since that is what everyone recommends? Or could a higher voltage still be safe? In the end, i dont want to fry this chip but i dont need to last more than a year or two.

Check out the thread in my signature if you want to see just how much punishment one of these FX CPUs can handle. I am literally still using the same CPU I had when I wrote that thread years ago. FX chips they are alot tougher than most people give them credit for.

. Are you still running the same vcore though? Or have you dialed it back since? My temps dont even reach those even during prime95. I think i saw it hit 46 max during full load. Would it be beneficial for me to mess with the bus speed and then go for a higher oc? Or should i just give it more multiplier and vcore?

Dpg what are your intentions for the system. Are you looking to just see how far you can push the chip or are you just looking for a high 24/7 Oc?

You should do a little testing then with the games you play. There is going to be a trade off at some point, meaning you'll have to decide if the extra FPS you're getting is worth the extra voltage needed to get to X Oc. You're already running a pretty respectable Oc at 4.8, you may not see much gain going to say 5.0 if possible.

I run 4.7 on my 8350 because the extra voltage needed to get it 24/7 stable at even 4.8 wasn't worth the gains I saw while gaming. Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not afraid to hit my Fx chips with the voltage hammer, especially for benching. You're just going to need to decide if the gains are worth the extra voltage.

You should do a little testing then with the games you play. There is going to be a trade off at some point, meaning you'll have to decide if the extra FPS you're getting is worth the extra voltage needed to get to X Oc. You're already running a pretty respectable Oc at 4.8, you may not see much gain going to say 5.0 if possible.

I run 4.7 on my 8350 because the extra voltage needed to get it 24/7 stable at even 4.8 wasn't worth the gains I saw while gaming. Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not afraid to hit my Fx chips with the voltage hammer, especially for benching. You're just going to need to decide if the gains are worth the extra voltage.
Okay so it would make more sense to try to get the highest oc just for ***** and giggles than trying to get more performance. Okay fair enough. Once I build a new computer I'll push this one to see how high I can get it.

No it was on dry ice and it's in the Pc i'm currently typing on running 4.6 24/7 7days a week. This is on H2O

Back