• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any problem with sideways radiator?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

batboy

Senior Moment
I'm adding a second rad to my loop in the front bottom of the case. I can mount it in the normal way with the barbs at the top, but it would be way easier to fit and run the hoses if the rad was rotated 90 degrees (mounted sideways). I'm sure it work, but will it be a nightmare to purge air? My res is at top front, pump in the middle front, then the single new rad would be lower front. I figure let gravity do it's thing by using the top rad barb as the inlet and bottom barb as outlet. Next in the loop is the waterblock, then double rad in back, finally back to the reservoir.

Nevermind, I see it won't work right. The expansion chamber at the top where the barbs are located would allow the water a direct path from the inlet straight down to the outlet.

But, what if the lower barb was the inlet and the upper was the outlet?

I better just deal with it and make it fit the correct way.

EDIT: I figured out that I would need a crossflow radiator for that to work properly.

Last edited:
That'll work. Question tho: Why are you adding another rad to the mix? Are you gonna slap a FC Block on the gpu you need more raddage?

LOL... just trying to add some extra cooling capacity. My loop was brought to it's knees when I was pouring on the voltage to get max OC when I was benching for a WR. You know, futureproof my loop for the core war. If for some unknown reason a 12 core i9 fell into my lap, I might need more cooling.

I kind of hate to add a single to the front lower panel, because if I just happened to get a wild hair and order something like the 1080 Ti hybrid, then I'd need that spot for the AIO rad/fan. ;)

I was looking my loop over and realized I have a thin 30mm 2X120 rad in the back (XSPC EX240). Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree. Lots better options for a dual rad. I love the looks of that new Black Ice U-flow (60mm thick, twice as thick as my current rad).

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2...40_Radiator_-_Black_Carbon.html?tl=g30c95s160

Looks like I'll be reading a bunch of reviews tonight.

Last edited:
Thanks, but a triple won't fit. I've read a couple reviews about that Black Ice SR2 U-flow double. With high static pressure fans it performs as well as some triple rads.

If I understood your original posts, you want this single rad sideways (assuming you have intake and exhaust configured properly) and make it easier to bleed so it is completely filled with liquid without air pockets being lodged in it? I would make sure the highest port is set as outlet so it naturally bleeds any air pockets back to the reservoir which is just above it, if I understood your loop's configuration correctly. Tilting the case during the bleeding process towards the front should help as well.

Nothing wrong with more rad. :thup: :D

Yeah, we can throw that first post out the window.

I've changed my mind and decided to go with a crossflow (or U-flow radiator). Looks like Black Ice has what I need.

I thought the Black Ice SR2 U-flow was new, but apparently it's been around for a couple of years.

SR-1s which I use has been around for a while. SR-2s are maybe 1-2 years old at best I think. Great for low to mid fan usage.

If your case can handle it, I've got a XSPC RX360 rad collecting dust just begging to be abused ;)

I really, really, really do not want to tear my loop apart again as it took me a long time to get it just how I wanted it and all bled out, but I gotta ask how much you want for this. I've been considering swapping out my RS360 radiator now that I have a much larger case that can accommodate it.

it wont fit IN the case =) but would outside with some brackets

Yeah like with that swiftech radbox or the Koolance bracket. I mounted a 360 outside my Rocketfish (Lian Li) full tower with the radbox because I didn't want to hack/mod the case. Worked great too.

Right, it could be mounted on the top with brackets or stand-off, but I want to be self-contained. I remember those Swiftech radboxes, I almost bought one of them years ago. I had thought once upon a time about doing a massive external radiator, but no way now.

You did a great job revamping the old case batz. Unsure if the money you're spending is the right move just to add another small rad to your current loop. Not sure if you want to go with a new case with more room. This way you have the space to go 360 rad and still add a 240 if need be. Just a thought.

Back