• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any Recommendations?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SirCali

I have just built a new system and am looking for a new PSU to power it. I've narrowed it down to 4 choices:

ENERMAX Liberty ELT620AWT 620W Power Supply - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817194004

FSP Group (Fortron Source) FX700-GLN ATX12V/ EPS12V 700W All-In-One Power Supply - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104015

ePOWER Silent Engine Tiger 650 EP-650P5-T1 650Watts Power Supply - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817101517

SeaSonic S12-600 600W Power Supply - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817151025

I'm leaning towards the ePower, its detachable cables and its 20A rails. However, any comments and suggestions will be appreciated. :)

Here are my specs:

cpu: Athlon X2 4800+
mobo: Asus A8N32 SLI-Deluxe
ram: Corsair XMS3500LL-Pro
video: Evga geForce 7800 GTX 512
case: Antec TX1050B
storage: WD 36 gig Raptor
WD 150 gig Raptor

I currently only have 1 video card but will eventually upgrade.
thx

I have the Epower, its not bad, but not in the same class as the FSP or Seasonic. It will handle what your getting no problem as im using mine in a Dual Xeon setup. It does have some of the best modular cables out there.

My review of the ePower 550w

/edit and while were on the subject of SLI Read this

I think you should look into single +12V units. There are good ones from Silverstone, OCZ, Enermax, and Fortron/Sparkle. Single large (30A+) +12V is far superior to dual +12V.

Welcome to the forums!

For your system, any one of those will do. However, the FSP 700W isn't a good buy at the moment - the 600W is very close to being as powerful (600W @ 35 degrees whereas the 700W is rated at 25 degrees), and cheaper.

Thx for the welcome!

After reading infinitevalence's review of the ePower I'm wondering which of these, if any, have true dual rails?

I was of the impression that two rails was better than one. But does OCZ make good psu's?

I was leaning strongly towards the SeaSonic until I saw the cables. As far as the degrees goes, I never heard of that in reference to a psu.

I was also wondering...on the Fortron there are four 12V@15A rails. Is that as good (if not better than) two 12V@18A?
thx

All of those have dual 12V rails, except for the Fortron which has 3. Looks like one person has had luck with the Seasonic with your motherboard. My buddy blew up a Hiper PSU on his A8N32 when he turned it on for the first time. Since the Seasonic is about $20 cheaper than most of the ones you listed, you can get a cable sleeving kit so it looks sweet.

I have an OCZ Powerstream 520W SLI powering my rig in my sig. And I think it's great!

before getting the OCZ I had the Enermax Liberty 620W ....I really liked it and LOVED the modular cables...made installation SOOO easy and kept things clean. The only problem was that it wasn't working with my DFI Expert motherboard. But I'd say it should most likely be fine with the asus board, as I haven't heard anything negative with that combo.

So I'd say either go with the OCZ Powerstream 520W or the Enermax Liberty 620W
Both are great! (as long as it's not with the DFI board I have) :)

I am currently using the stock antec psu, but I plan on giving away a couple of old pc and don't have enough power supplies for all.

The Enermax Liberty 620 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817194004 was on my list at one time. I think I went away from it after seeing a review on Toms Hardware.

Is there are big difference in having 1 fan or 2 fans? Which is better?

Know Nuttin said:
Why not use the one that comes with the Antec TX1050B?

I'm inclined to agree. Particularly if it is doing the job for now.

All four of the candidates seem pricey to me.

Sir Cali said:
I am currently using the stock antec psu, but I plan on giving away a couple of old pc and don't have enough power supplies for all.

Why not get some of the cheap Sparkles at SVC to give away and upgrade when you need to?

I like my Enermax Liberty, but one thing that annoys me is the 'Eternity' SATA power connectors. There is a SATA power connector for every molex plug, and in my opinion, despite the PSU being modular, these extra connectors get in the way. Other than that it's quite good and gives quite stable voltages.

Mortimer

I was thinking of doing a little overclocking in the future, plus I wanted to keep the door open for a second graphics card.

Thx Fathom, I am still considering that model.

Out of those I would get the Seasonic S-12 600w, especially for silence. It isn't the most powerful of the bunch but it does do everything else better.

It seems like a pretty good deal as well. It's just the cables that kinda make it a hard buy. :-/

Back