• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

any way to make my Hydor L35 quiet?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
soloz2 said:
I don't think I want to spend that much on such a small pump
The MCP350 might look small but it has a lot of bark. However, I completely understand not wanting to spend that much on a pump.

The Danners are excellent pumps, they just fell out of focus with the arrival of 12v pumps.

soloz model 3 (DN1121) is the preferred model.

hmm... but by the time I got the MCP350 and either got the adapters to change the fittings bc I have 1/2" tubing or got one of those different tops for it it would probably cost the same or more as the D5 right?

The D5 (otherwise known as MCP655) and MCP350 cost about the same last time I checked. The difference is is that the MCP350 is smaller, has higher head, and produces less noise. The D5 on the other hand is a bit larger, native 1/2" ID, higher flow, and louder. However an adapter shouldn't cost you more than $1-2 depending on where you get it.

so for a multi block system w/ 1/2" ID tubing would the d5 or mcp350 be better? and how can that little pump have such a high head, but low flow?

also, how would the dd mag pump be? it's about $25 cheaper

soloz2 said:
so for a multi block system w/ 1/2" ID tubing would the d5 or mcp350 be better? and how can that little pump have such a high head, but low flow?

also, how would the dd mag pump be? it's about $25 cheaper

I would pick the D5 because of its flow,pressure and head.

that's kinda what I was thinking. would the mag be alright?

I'll have to sell some stuff to aford it... but I have my current pump, a double heater core w/ shroud and fans and an unopened bottle of mct40 I could sell... that should more than cover the cost... hmm...

soloz2 said:
I put some foam underneath it and I wrapped it up in a small towl. it's much quieter now. I don't think this is a permanant solution though... I may need to look for another pump. any suggestions for pumps that won't break the bank?

sounds like a good permantent solution to me. All good pumps have isolating foam to reduce vibration. If you take any pump and put a non-foam part directly onto your metal case it is going to vibrate madly and be extremely annoying. My D5 just has a foam pad on the bottom that the screws go through to mount it to the case. Problem solved.

Ankun said:
sounds like a good permantent solution to me. All good pumps have isolating foam to reduce vibration. If you take any pump and put a non-foam part directly onto your metal case it is going to vibrate madly and be extremely annoying. My D5 just has a foam pad on the bottom that the screws go through to mount it to the case. Problem solved.

well it was originally sitting on rubber suction cup feet, so it wasn't a vibration problem. the foam pad didn't help much at all... I just put it there cause I took the feet off when I wrapped the towel around it. the towel serves as noise dampening. It's still kinda loud, and I'm concerned about the pump overheating w/ the towel around it. Plus, I may have found someone to buy my pump from me... so problem solved. Now, I just need to decide on a new one.

so, I'm thinking that the price difference between the eheim 1048 and the d5 isn't that great so if I'm going to spend $60, what's another 15 for a 12v pump that is supposed to be the best on the market.
I'm also considering the via aqua just for the price. I can get one for less than $30 w/ 1/2" barbs installed (or do it myself) and I know how to mod it to make it quiet. So for less than $35 there's that pump... it's just a matter of how much I want to spend.

now, quick question about the D5 pump. are there 2 different revisions? if so, what is the difference, which one is better, and how do I tell when I'm ordering it? also, what's the best and/or cheapest place to get this pump (or the equivelant)

D5 is great for noise. #5 its very quiet and it comes with nice Foam pad, and 4 rubber washers for mounting.

is there more than one version? I think I saw something about 2 versions of the swiftech mcp655?

soloz2 said:
is there more than one version? I think I saw something about 2 versions of the swiftech mcp655?

nope I don't think so :confused:

you might be thinking of the MCP-600(D4)

ok, I just wanted to make sure. I still have to decide what pump to get, but that is a contender. I think it'll come down to price. I've read a few reviews and it looks to be the best pump... but it is also one of the most expensive pumps too...

I've been shopping around and the cheapest I can find it is 83.15 shipped from voyermods... never ordered from them. anyone know of a cheaper place?

soloz2 said:
ok, I just wanted to make sure. I still have to decide what pump to get, but that is a contender. I think it'll come down to price. I've read a few reviews and it looks to be the best pump... but it is also one of the most expensive pumps too...

I've been shopping around and the cheapest I can find it is 83.15 shipped from voyermods... never ordered from them. anyone know of a cheaper place?

$79.95 and in stock
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/swmc12vdcpu.html

I have the Hydor L30 and it is almost silent (maybe 10 dB). I think you did something wrong if its that loud.
Check your flow, if water is not moving then the air will never get out of the pump.
Give it some time, depending on your flow rate, it can take as long as an hour (or a day) to bleed out the air.
Did you run the pump dry? It could have been damaged.
I would also keep the suction cups on to minimize vibrations.

soloz2 said:
I saw that. it would be 84.83 shipped. is that a good place to order from? how is their support?

sidewinder is great, awesome customer service and support.

dabombnl said:
I have the Hydor L30 and it is almost silent (maybe 10 dB). I think you did something wrong if its that loud.
Check your flow, if water is not moving then the air will never get out of the pump.
Give it some time, depending on your flow rate, it can take as long as an hour (or a day) to bleed out the air.
Did you run the pump dry? It could have been damaged.
I would also keep the suction cups on to minimize vibrations.

you know, I've seen reviews that said that L30 was quiet. I've talked with a couple other people who have (or had L35 pumps) and they all said that the pump is medium to loud. One guy said that he put foam under his to help it quiet down, and another guy said he had to wrap a T-shirt around his.
At first I thought I was doing something wrong, but I'm not sure. I've put it together several different times and it hasn't gotten any quieter. It was loud from the minute I got it (before I even opened it up to take a look) It has been setup for over a day and a half and is still loud... it was actually getting louder last night so I turned my rig off.
I didn't run the pump dry.

And thanks for the tip on sidewinder. :D

Back