• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

it may be time to retire my 17 year old watercooling loop. Upgrade ideas?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yup, that's the tubing. Good stuff you got there. Had no idea they started adding a solution with the kit for the fluid.

Yea the first bottle is a system flush, which i might use because the radiator was a returned item, it doesnt look like its been used though but ya never know. Although i think ill just use distilled water run it through and drain it vs using chemicals. The other bottle is some germ/algaecide anti corrosion inhibitor.. Probably ethelyne glycol. Ive wondered if you can just use prestone anti-freeze. I work on cars, and cooling a engine is the same as cooling a cpu, dissimilar metals and coolant can last 5 years or more depending on what you buy, i do know antifreeze itself has less thermal transfer then pure water does though.

Anyway, while i wait for thermaltake to take forever to mail my gpu block, im mounting the radiator in the system. The fans on my setup in the front are mounted in front of the cage on the case and right behind the dust filter. The 360 radiator i want to put right here, but doing so im not sure if i should take the fans and screw them onto the radiator and then the radiator onto the case, or just mount the radiator to the cage the fans are on. Here are pics of what im talking about. Doesnt look like there is any gap there if i do this, and putting the 3 fans at full speed 1400rpm, i can feel air flowing through the radiator.

What do you think. Mount the directly to the rad, then the case.. or keep the fans in front of that cage and mount the radiator to the other side. The only problem with mounting the fans directly to the radiator vs being directly in the front like they are is this kinda eliminates their ability to pull fresh air from the outside, they would be pulling air from in the case and outside. Because ill effectivly be moving them 1 inch back. What do you think ? And now that i think of it, how will i mount the fans to the cage after i pout the radiator there.. lol i couldnt screw them in front behind. So maybe i have to do the other way after all. Lemme see what screws i got from all this junk ive bought maybe there are longer ones like the AIO kit had

EDIT: NVM found some screws TT included with the fans i guess they figured youd mount it like in my pics.

Attachments

• radiator 1.jpg
    radiator 1.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 37
  • radiator 2.jpg
    radiator 2.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 37
  • radiator 3.jpg
    radiator 3.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Regarding mounting the fans either push or pull on the rad, test it both ways and see what gives you the best temps. I always pushed the air out of the case and through the 240 rad in the back of the case. When I added a 120 rad in front to increase capacity, I assumed mounting the fan to push out the front would be the best. But, turns out having the fan pull fresh air from outside into the front cooled the best in my situation. Try both ways and see what the data says.

I mounted it like in the pics.. Got my PCI-E riser cable, still waiting on the 45-90 degree angle fittings, the breather fitting for the reservoir to equalize pressure when hot.cold, and still waiting on the gpu block... I sware amazon is pissing me off with their AMZNL shipping service.. I am a prime member and two day shipping means 2-3 days to me not 5... My Riser cable took 5 days, and the package was missplaced by that crappy in house shipping they have.. Wish they would just keep using usps or ups they are never late. I Dont see the point in being a prime member if the free 1 or 2 day shipping takes 4+ days. Might as well save the 20$ a month and chose free ground shipping on packages

Hopefully my packages come tomorrow like scheduled, my waterblock should be here by thursday, thermaltake didnt update my package either.. I had to personally call them and ask "yo where is my package ? Have you mailed it yet its been 4 days since i ordered. ?? "... I mean geesh ive only spent over $700 on their stuff.., when its all hooked ill ill post some final pictures. I also had to get them to fix their amazon listing for the 1080ti asus rog waterblock, the listing says it doesnt come with a backplate when their website says it does.. Someone on their end messed up lol

There is a 3rd company on ebay selling the same exact design as well, im not sure what to think. lol. I woulda bought the TT block anyway, for the RGB on it, the EK doesnt have a version with RGB. But it does have more screws on the metal ugly plate in the front so i wonder if it has a better seal on the o-rings.

Side note what thermal paste do you recommend ? I have some old AS5 tubes from 2000's left over lol. But maybe there is something better out there i can put on my cpu and the gpu ?

I'm a big AS5 fan from way back. If you have that on hand, it's better than most. That said, there are better stuff available nowadays. I'm currently using Arctic MX-4 also (different company from Arctic Silver). Under certain conditions, AS5 can conduct electricity, but MX-4 is a carbon based material that can be safely used without fear of frying components.

AS5 used to cause slight issues on Older athlon xps but thats when people got some on the pins or under the memory ect.. Ive been guilty if that when i was a kid but it doesnt fry electronics. Never seen that before.

The thing with MX4 and that noctura stuff is i read it runs.. and drips off the cpu or gpu die.. And it dries uo after a few mobths.. AS5 doesnt do that. So i was hestiant or ordering a new paste. Have you guys had any runny issues with MX4 or noctura.

Seems AS5 is junk now though current every review on amazon and newegg is showing its more of a bright silvery volor then a dark gray. And its oily and people sometimes get empty boxes or boxes where the tubes were clearly used.

Thats a bummer.. Lol

AS5 used to cause slight issues on Older athlon xps but thats when people got some on the pins or under the memory ect.. Ive been guilty if that when i was a kid but it doesnt fry electronics. Never seen that before.

The thing with MX4 and that noctura stuff is i read it runs.. and drips off the cpu or gpu die.. And it dries uo after a few mobths.. AS5 doesnt do that. So i was hestiant or ordering a new paste. Have you guys had any runny issues with MX4 or noctura.

Seems AS5 is junk now though current every review on amazon and newegg is showing its more of a bright silvery volor then a dark gray. And its oily and people sometimes get empty boxes or boxes where the tubes were clearly used.

Thats a bummer.. Lol

Probably just old stock that started to separate. It doesn't move as fast now that it isn't king of the hill. I think it's as good as it ever was, there are just some that are a little better now. One or two degrees difference (in most cases) is margin of error stuff. I'd still use it for daily driver rigs if I found it cheap enough.

MX-4 for me showed the best improvement. For example, the stuff they use on EVGA's Hydro Coppers, I saw a 8c difference once I used MX-4. Great stuff all around.

Okay guys i got all the rest of my parts, and waterblock today. Its all done !! finally.

Here are pics. Ill take a pic when the door is back on i gatta clean all these screws and stuff up. I opted to use the lime green coolant i bought vs clear liquid. It just looks alot better through the tubing and so forth.. Since i work on cars the coolant deff smells like Anti-freeze from prestone. Its probably nothing more then Ethylene Glycol. For 17$ for 900ml.. This why i didnt wanna discuss ethics in them transfering costs over the 4 fittings i kept from the kit. I can buy 1 gallon of pure ethylene glycol and 1 gallons of distilled water and make 2 gallons of the stuff for $14.. They are shafting people on this "premixed" coolant lol. Because im 100% certain thats all it is.

Side note, im not sure why my pics seem fuzzy. all the pics my galaxy s7 is taking seem such poor quality latetly.. Its getting frustrating. The Megapixels are maxed out hrmm oh well

Attachments

• case done.jpg
    case done.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 19
  • case done 2.jpg
    case done 2.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 20
  • case done 3.jpg
    case done 3.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Temps in warhammer total war 2 used to get to 71c after just 30 minutes of playing and clocks were 1980mhz. Been playing the game for 20 min now and the temps are only 52c. Damn thats a huge difference lol 20c drop and Currently the gpu is at 2063mhz, so almost 100mhz more on the core. I used the thermal paste that came with the kit. Some silvery paste.. decided to not use the AS5 i have since its so old..

I might get some MX-4 or noctura stuff later but probably not the temps seem really good. The radiator is deff warm to the touch, im sure if i did a push pull on this the temps would be even lower. I might take the two bottom fans off and put them on the radiator, and put two 900rpm blue fans in their place that i have laying around. Well see. .

On a side note, thermaltake needs to get their shiat straight.. I asked if the kit came with two plugs since the waterblock plexi has 4 ends. They told me on the phone no it didnt. So i bought a 4 plug kit on amazon.. Guess what the kit came with two plugs, morons...

Last edited:
I might go to hard tubing down the road, but this doesnt look bad i dont think. Cant really make watercooling tubing "clutterless" lol

Back