• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone else agree?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vipersfate

Well, I was playing some Need For Speed Underground with my controller on my PC. The one in my sig. I've been running my 6600GT overclocked for a bit now, 560/1022. It's been doing great for load temps. I see no artifacts or anything in any game or doing anything else. I even tested it a bit ago with 3dMark06 and 05, nothing happens bad.

Today just after finishing a pretty long race and doing awesome in NFS, The monitor shut off. The PC was still on, but the monitor acted like I just shut the computer down. Which means that there is no signal coming from the Video Card. Does that sound like my video card overheated? That's what I'm guessing. How would I be able to find out if I was overheating. Is there a log kept. i forgot to put riva tuner on here to monitor temperatures. Anyone else agree with me?

have another monitor to check to see maybe its the monitor? ive never seen a overheating issue shut down a monitor.

I've had the same problem with my video card, I'd get the "No signal Input" message on the monitor and the system would keep on running, as I could hear the audio still playing. Sadly with my video card, it met it's death shortly after. Though for some reason, I doubt my card overheated as it never went passed 60c under full load.

I'm using this computer right now, and It's been running great. This has happened like 2 times before, no BSOD, just acting like I disconnected the monitor cable.

micron said:
It's the power supply.

i'd agree, for some reason that game (the whole nfs most wanted, underground/ series) stresses the hell out of ur system. i suffered about 10 of those before i spent the money on a new power supply and that fixed it, when the monitor goes blank it's usually a driver error or psu problem

I do have the updated drivers from Nvidia. And It just did it again to me. I've been able to play Morrowind, Halo, UT2k4, Doom 3 and all of those didn't do this. I just started a race, got to shift into second gear, and it happened again. I can't afford a new PSU at this time, but I want to keep playing :(..Thanks for the information.

Ok, I just got done installing Oblivion, psyched and anxious to play, I start it up, and then as soon as I get to create my character, it does it again. only this time, when I restart windows, Nvidia software tells me that teh card isn't getting the required power! Arg! It's been running great for a long time now, and now it does this? Is it because of my overclock?

Vipersfate said:
Its a gateway 240W. Please don't be mean about it.

PSU stands for Power Supply Unit. It's not rude hehe.
But yeah, about time to visit the psu section of the board.

For Prescots my recommend is Silverstone ST56ZF or OCZ520 Power Stream.

But quite remarkable that it works with the 250 at all.

Heh, I'm not retarded, I know what a PSU is. What I actually did was disconnect one of my 92 mm fans, and i was actually able to play. remind you in the first post, I can't afford a new PSU..so I eventually will get one. thanks for all the help. and I am a bit surprised that it is working with a 240 atm.

I'm still amaze that you can run an o/c system with 240W power supply. Guess all the stress killed your PSU.

Well, as soon as I disconnected one fan, I was able to play oblivion. This PC isn't OC'd just the video card, which I put back down to stock clocks.

Usually I would agree with that, which you are 99% right. But I've been able to play all other games since I've had it. Thanks for all the input everyone, Basically, I just need a new PSU correct?

Thanks for all the input everyone, Basically, I just need a new PSU correct?
Yeah its a pretty weak part to your sytem, and I am not one to claim everything is a PSU problem. Used a 380w psu myself for 3 years without a problem. Its just that 240w is almost off the charts on the low side.

You should be able to find an inexpensive psu that will at least eliminate the psu as the problem. You are on the right track unplugging a few non essential parts, if your rig runs better when you do that than the psu should clearly be the problem.I bought a new one to have it ready for my next build, so maybe you could figure that into the equation. Good luck.

Glad to hear you resolve your problem. I think you can still try o/c your vid card. Just make sure your how computer does not heat up beccause you disconnect 1 fan. You can solve this problem by leaving the side panel of your case open all the time.

Back