• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone else seeing this...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Scu84St3v3420

First and foremost I will list my build...

PSU: EVGA SN G3 650W
MB: Asus X-470 F Gaming
CPU: Ryzen 2600X @ 4.2GHz
Ram: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 16GB 3200MHz 16-18-18-38
GPU: Asus Strix GTX 1080 @ 2100MHz
Storage: Patriot Burst 240GB SSD (still need to grab an actual storage device and then that SSD will be strictly a boot drive.)
Cooling: Master Liquid 240R AIO
Chassis: Fractal Designs Meshify-C
Airflow: 1 Master Fan Pro 120mm AF RGB, 2 Master Fan Pro 120mm AB RGB

So now on to the actual purpose of the post, I noticed in HW Monitor that while gaming my chip achieved a boost to 5.05 GHz. I would have simply assumed it to be a false reading, however I have seen these odd momentary boost to 4.7-4.8 GHz while benchmarking. It is reading it as an all core boost and is generally extremely brief. Wondering if anyone else is experiencing this as well or can possibly shed some light on the subject.

I do have a pic, but its failing to upload. I am going to try and edit it with the pic directly from my phone.

Edit: Can't upload pic from phone either, someone got an idea for this?

Disable data savings on the browser before uploading a photo. It sometimes borks the uploader.

I'd like to see the boosts confirmed with other monitoring apps if this where mine. However if the thermal margin is great enough, it may be a true reading. Being all cores and brief, I can't imagine there's any real gains from the reading.

What does the chip usually hold boost at during a benchmark anyways?

I'd like to see the boosts confirmed with other monitoring apps if this where mine. However if the thermal margin is great enough, it may be a true reading. Being all cores and brief, I can't imagine there's any real gains from the reading.

What does the chip usually hold boost at during a benchmark anyways?
I hav it manually set to 4.2 as default boost would hit 4.25 but when bench it would fluxuate between 3.8 and 4.05 where with manual settings it maintains 4.2 when benching

You need to use HWinfo64 to monitor the CPU it seems to be the most reliable

Johan45, thanks for the graph. But it makes me think there is not much to be gained by overclocking the new generation of Ryzens since the complicated power management scheme seems to thwart the gains when under load. Seems more profitable to focus on getting the RAM speed up as high as possible.

It may be the first like mentioned above, but chrome does have data savings now. It's buried a little in the menu..

Johan45, thanks for the graph. But it makes me think there is not much to be gained by overclocking the new generation of Ryzens since the complicated power management scheme seems to thwart the gains when under load. Seems more profitable to focus on getting the RAM speed up as high as possible.

Once you change the multiplier the boost is disabled. It's easy enough to set a 4.2 GHz all core overclock that will out perform stock in most cases especially multithread applications. Yes RAM is good to get as high as stable 3200- 3466 if you have the right modules. After that it's a crapshoot.

He was trying first with PC. The issue here is most likely the 2MB limit, not a browser setting.

Sorry I should have specified, I am trying to upload using Chrome on only my PC, Safari on my iPhone. Resized to 1.5 Mb and it still says its failing to upload.

Once you change the multiplier the boost is disabled. It's easy enough to set a 4.2 GHz all core overclock that will out perform stock in most cases especially multithread applications. Yes RAM is good to get as high as stable 3200- 3466 if you have the right modules. After that it's a crapshoot.

This has been what I have observed and my reasoning behind choosing the manual OC setting over the default settings and the chips boosting to 4.25. And from what I've read it would be more beneficial in my instance to attempt tightening my timings rather than OC from the stock XMP setting of 3200MHz for a minor boost in frequency. However I know nothing about messing with RAM and its settings, something to research for the future I suppose.

Sorry I should have specified, I am trying to upload using Chrome on only my PC, Safari on my iPhone. Resized to 1.5 Mb and it still says its failing to upload.

Are you using the "attachment" tool or the "insert image" tool?
If the second, which are you using? "From URL" or "From Computer"

Can you copy/paste the error message you're getting?

Are you using the "attachment" tool or the "insert image" tool?
If the second, which are you using? "From URL" or "From Computer"

Can you copy/paste the error message you're getting?

I can when I get home from work tonight. And I have tried both and from computer.

today this site, itself is being a bugger for uploading images so sit tight and don't expend a lot of energy on images today.

today this site, itself is being a bugger for uploading images so sit tight and don't expend a lot of energy on images today.

Can you expound on this, please? I'm trying to fix any issues we currently have.

Photo is uploading
Test
This is a test
Taco test

Okay: test fail. She looked like she was uploading, but in the end, attachment nowhere to be found.

Taco test#2 disable data savings. Opera mobile browser

Back