• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

anyone have an A64 DTR chip at stock speed?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

copper_top

problems with A64 DTR chip at stock speed

Well i got a 32000 DTR notebook to go with my new MSi K8N Neo Platinum because I wanted a garunteed CG stepping. I heard that some motherboards wouldn't recognize these chips correctly but I also heard that most new boards would be ok with these. When i started the system up and booted into windows i noticed that the chip was only running at 800MHz. I checked the BIOS settings and noticed that the chips default multiplier was 4x. However I was able to up the multiplier to 10x with a little extra voltage. Right now I am running prime95 at 2Ghz (which i believe is stock speed for a 3200 clawhammer chip) at 1.7V. Now according to newegg these chips should run at 1.5V so the voltage is a little higher than it should be.

What do you guys think? is my chip safe at 1.7V? keep in mind that i still plan to up the fsb on this chip so i dont want the voltage to be any higher than it should be at stock speeds. Is there a new BIOS revision that might fix this problem?

Thanx.

Last edited:
Yeah, the chip should be fine at 1.7v as long as you've got your temps under control. It works great at 1.5v and 2 GHz as well. But I don't get what the problem is. Can you not use anything less than 1.7v?

when i go below 1.7 i have isues with booting into windows and restrting.

i have a fortron 530 watt and a slk-948u. the thing is that i have a realy crappy 80mm fan on the heatsink. However i have my case dismantled and a huge house fan blowing over everyting. MBM shows my cpu temp at 32c and case temp at 28c.

I would say that you have a right to RMA in this situation. If the processor can't do stock speeds at stock voltages, then something's up.. See if you can push it any further with 1.7v, otherwise, send it back.

Back