• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone have issues with windows 10 randomly hanging/freezing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cnaydmancangt

This is the first time ive had windows 10 but because my new 2700x and x470 forced me to move to windows 10 i had no choice. The OS keeps freezing/hanging randomly.. i cant predict when it will do it but when it does nothing works, and i cant even reboot i had to do a hard reset... Nothing is overclocked either.. I did some searching and it seems to be common but i cant find a solution

The only errors i have in the event log is one pertaning to a lightservice.exe which i think is just one of the LED programs i have which error's out like the asus gpu tweak since i have no fans plugged in as im using a waterblock.

There is one critical error but all it says is this, and half of these errors are when the pc hangs up and i cant do anything but move the mouse. The other half is me purposely turning the pc off like when i was filling my pump with water the pc would boot faster into windows then i could fill it and turn the power off lol

error 1.jpg

What are your power plan profile setting in Windows?

OK, but is it on balanced or performance? If on balanced make sure to keep minimum processor state up over 20%
You can also look for a setting in the BIOS for the RAM called power down and disable that it's for LPS with the ram and can cause issues.

its on high performance dont think ive seen that setting for the memory but ill look

edit:" the power down enable for memory was disabled by default

Not sure what else to try. Have you done any memory testing? Even if it is at stock there could be setup issues might just need a slight voltage bump

Its not my pc.. its a windows issue.. Google search windows 10 hanging its very common people go back to windows 7 and it goes away.. Aparently an update in april caused systems to hang too. Dunno i hate windows 10.

People can google search anything and find hits cnay. That doesn't necessarily mean its your problem or THE problem with your system. I do not have any of these issues with a fully updated W10 (across 4 PCs in my house, including a Ryzen system, not R2 though). It may be Windows or it could be something hardware wise. Truthfully, if you don't have a spare drive to put a fresh OS of windows on and test to confirm its the OS or something in it (software installed, settings, etc), then you need to look at hardware first IMO.

HCL mem test or Memtest 86, or Windows memory test (or all 3)... how long have you stress tested the system even at stock speedS?
Was the OS not doing this for a while and then started or was it immediate?

I have two installs of windows 10 on seperate drives i guess i could hang around on that install and see if it does it. Been doing it day 1. randomly.. one day it wont the next day it will. I was playing warhammer total war 2 the other day when it last did it and the game just froze up when i alt tabbed and cntrl alt del wouldnt bring up task manager, so i hit restart on the right and it went to restart and just had the spinning circle for 10 min before i just flipped the power switch in frustration

HCL mem test or Memtest 86, or Windows memory test (or all 3)... how long have you stress tested the system even at stock speedS?
Have you tried running any of these memory apps? What about stress testing at stock speeds? Does it pass P95 small FFT? What about blend (more memory)?

Another setting to look for under AMD CBS is power supply idle control. set to typical current idle

Did you disable fast boot in BIOS? I have heard others having issues with that and disabling it seemed to make it go away

I've had this happen to Sometimes the PC will run fine for a couple hours without issues video encoding other times it will lock up. I have not had time to try and dig in and see whats up and the way work has been lately I won't have time till after Christmas unless I get a rainy weekend.

Back